Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 11:18 PM

253 posts, read 1,304,929 times

Advertisements

I would like to rent an apt that has parking and I know how hard that is to find. Does anyone know of a building that offers it near midtown? I make 200k per year and not even sure if that is enough for that area. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 11:56 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,332,252 times
It is possible to find a building with a garage, though it will be a newer building. Some are in Midtown as well, so you may find something relatively easily. The prices do vary, however, between the buildings, so be sure to shop around.

Here are some links to check out:

Glenwood Management (many with garages): Glenwood Luxury Rentals NYC Properties

Equity Residential: Manhattan Apartments for Rent - Equity Apartments

Rose Associates: New York City Apartments & NYC Rentals - No Fee - Rose Associates

Roseland's Riverbank West (has garage): Riverbank West

Waterside Plaza (has garage): Waterside Plaza Home

Hope that helps. You should definitely be able to find one in your price range with parking at some of the above buildings/management companies.

Old 09-02-2008, 05:09 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,898,333 times
You might find parking, but of course it won't be included in the rent/maintenance. AND, there's more often than not a waiting list because in coops/condos it's limited to shareholders/owners and in rental buildings the renters sometimes get a price break.

In my prior apartment, a post-war co-op, there was a five year waiting list for a space in the garage, but it was less costly (although not cheap) compared to the garages in the neighborhood.,

Old 09-02-2008, 08:29 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,075,882 times
I know you said midtown, but I do know of a builiding in Union Sq with parking. It's the Zeckendorf towers and the address is 1 Irving Place. There's a large grocery store "Food Emporium" in the commercial space on the 1st floor of that building. I don't know if there's a waiting list or how much it costs. I'm sure it's pricey.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:50 AM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,149,751 times
Will you need car daily? Where in Midtown?

Some office garages nr Midtown (away from premium garages like 9 W57, etc) are ?50% cheaper and mthly availability is not problematic, e.g., garage across from MorganStanley @48th and Bway (garage for an apt bldg across from MS)....

Some clever young traders (whose 1st yr pay was some $200K/yr) simply rent a condo in FtLee/CliffsidePk, NJ (rent is some 50% cheaper than Manhattan); save a few percentage points on income taxes (both state and NYC wage tax arb); drive into Midtown/Downtown everyday via GWB, arriving at office by 6AM (a 25min door-to-door drive to MS, 35min downtown to GS)....their overall cost of living (even after leasing a new Mercedes AMG, paying for office garage, etc, the NJ arb was much cheaper than Manhattan, even allowing for a few hotel stays in Manhattan after late-night drinking)

After guys' incomes would climb (after a yr or two), they would move into Manhattan....and many found it most efficient to commute daily via driving from their apt to office....and, at that point in career, could afford to rent a decent Manhattan apt w/an underground garage....many quant-oriented traders have been driving around Manhattan for yrs....simply the safest, most efficient, comfortable way to travel around Manhattan, even for UES/CPW to Midtown commutes....

Old 09-02-2008, 10:55 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,898,333 times
I wouldn't consider driving a car the most efficient way to get anywhere in Manhattan.

And it's not an issue of the NYC/State tax - it's deductible from the NJ tax...so it's a wash.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:34 PM

I really appreciate everyone's help. I am going to consider all of your suggestions. I just feel like as a single person if I ended up renting in NJ (I work from home) I would find excuses to stay home and be lazy rather than make the effort to go into the city and meet people and see interesting things. SOmetimes working from home, as nice as it is, can make you very lazy!

Old 09-06-2008, 06:11 AM

101 posts, read 300,300 times
so if you work from home - why the need for a car? Just curious.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:25 AM

All of my family is out of state - including elderly parents whom I need to see regularly - sometimes spur of the moment due to their declining health, and I don't want to have to depend on zip cars/rentals. I need to just be able to get in a car and go. Paying the extra money is worth it to me. Does anyone even know what a montly garage costs in Manhattan?
What about Brooklyn Heights? Would that be a better alternative?

Old 09-06-2008, 11:14 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,332,252 times
Brooklyn Heights is a nice environment, with the smaller building sizes and some great old buildings. It's not as easy for parking, however, but there are some pay garages and lots in the area where you could find monthly spots. You can find a more character-filled apartment, have a nice neighborhood, and proximity to Manhattan in the Heights.

Here are some places to gauge parking:

Central Parking: Central Parking System - The Leader in Professional Parking Management

Edison Parking: www.edcorp.com

Imperial Parking: impark
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City