Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 05:58 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times

Advertisements

Parkchester isn't nearly as safe as you make it out to be. Tell that to the DDP gang that patrol the area. It's not the worst but you make it sound like seventh heaven. The area particularly around East Tremont avenue is especially bad.

Last edited by Viralmd; 09-04-2008 at 06:59 PM.. Reason: Rude/personal attack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 06:47 PM

348 posts, read 1,248,653 times
Default Make up your own mind

No, SuperMario, I don't want everybody to move to Parkchester. I have shared my views and experiences, that's all. I started DEFENDING my community (and even started a website!) because of certain types of people who are misrepresenting these various communities where good, hard working people are living decent lives and being great neighbors and raising their children and trying to make things better in their area all the time. It is due to people like those whom I see everyday here in places like Parkchester (and many other areas of the Bronx) that are making this borough a decent place to live again.

Last edited by Viralmd; 09-04-2008 at 07:00 PM.. Reason: Attack

Old 09-04-2008, 07:13 PM

Ahem...well I for one completely understand and applaud! what guffaw wrote above. It is people like him (or her) who are making this borough a decent place to live again! Thanks guffaw...and if you need any volunteers, just give a shout!

Old 09-04-2008, 07:14 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCwoman View Post
No, SuperMario, I don't want everybody to move to Parkchester. I have shared my views and experiences, that's all. I started DEFENDING my community (and even started a website!) because of certain types of people who are misrepresenting these various communities where good, hard working people are living decent lives and being great neighbors and raising their children and trying to make things better in their area all the time. It is due to people like those whom I see everyday here in places like Parkchester (and many other areas of the Bronx) that are making this borough a decent place to live again.
Parkchester is not as bad as neighborhoods west and south of it. But it still boast an average to a slightly above average crime rate. You are unfortunately very biased. Almost if not all of your posts deny the existence of crime there. Im not saying its as bad as Mott Haven, but it isn't Bayside either. You have to be objective, which you're not being.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:29 PM

This could go on forever, and quite frankly - it gets rather old after a while. I have done my best to answer questions to fellow potential neighbors who are looking to move into the Bronx. I write and photograph what I see. I can't speak any more than I already have as to what I think your motivations are. I advise people to come to Parkchester, Mott Haven, Melrose, Bedford Park, Pelham Bay, City Island, Concourse, Little Italy, Norwood, Riverdale, etc. etc. etc. and see for themselves. (And if I as a lone white female can wander around safe and sound for hours and hours in places like Mott Haven, others will most likely have no problem.)

Feel free to PM me or check out my photos on my website www.thebronxrocks.com and ultimately judge for yourself. I have tons of photos and impressions of many of these places - yes more on Parkchester, because I live here and I know it well, but I plan to get many different areas on there as time goes by.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:32 PM

Obviously, the invitation to PM me (or to ask questions here or on any of the Parkchester threads, for example) was meant for city-data readers in general....I doubt I'll be getting any messages from SM. LOL

Old 09-04-2008, 07:49 PM

I apologize to you guffaw for my part in taking this thread off course. It got a little heated, and I for one forgot about what the initial post was. As I said earlier, thanks for your past, present and future good work with your University Woods project!!!

Old 09-04-2008, 09:04 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Indeed he did. Not the least of which is The Beautiful Bronx, 1920-1950. Even your friendly local native Brooklynite loves this one!
That is a great book, filled with history. It's sad to see what has become of some of the treasures in that volume, though, and their forecast restoration, like the restoration of the park for the 21st Century is a good thing to see.

I think it's cool that you had a sight line cut into the park, guffaw, so that you have a view to the river. That can help to transform this area into what it was originally intended as a hidden oasis amongst the city's buildings since people are naturally drawn to water vistas.

And, yes, this park was ranked lowly in surveys, but it is a positive sign when you have community involvement with the parks department since small changes can go forward and create improvements. Restored, clean, safe parks make for a more enjoyable neighborhood, and that, in turn, can be a catalyst for change, since it's usually a small thing that gets the ball rolling.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:38 PM

7 posts, read 24,100 times
SuperMario, I’m sure when you last went to this park but what you are talking about is the state that is was in a few years ago. The trails are clear now and I haven’t seen “bums” exclusively in the park. I actually see children, a neighbor playing his drum and various neighbors walking their dogs. So to answer your question, the park is actually cleaned up. Now it’s about fixing up the structures and tackling our biggest challenge—getting people like you to actually see the potential that lies inside this place. I just got a new article in the NY times talking about the improvements at the park. It’s not perfect but it is a lot better and a lot more will be done to improve it. Since you are in the area, I give guided tours if you would like to actually see what the park looks like now. Let me know.

NYCwoman, thanks for your support. Its greatly appreciated. I PM you with more info about the group, clean ups and events. Don’t worry about hi jacking the post. I understand that was not your intention.

bmwguydc, thanks for your statement. I totally agree; I think with a little effort and a positive attitude this park could be great. Yes it was ranked the worst park but it has not been raked since 2006 and since we have made great community partners. So its only a matter of time for our park to begin to shine through. Thanks again for you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: