Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 03:07 PM

110 posts, read 346,540 times

Advertisements

I created this thread out of curiousity. I was born in Rochester, NY at Highland Hospital and was raised in The Bronx (Morris Hieghts to be exact) from when I was 1-15yrs old. Now I'm back in Rochester and because I left at an early age I never got to know the place.

At first I hated it. No trains, slow pace, no people on the streets except in downtown, no tall buildings, harder to get a job, etc.

But as the years went on as me being a Rochesterian, I grew to love the place and Upstate NY in general. This place isn't country as I thought living in NYC. You can find very cheap apartments here, the crime isn't that bad as the Bx, you can actually get some peace and quiet, and finding a job isn't that hard if you actually LOOK! I see why so many people from the 5 Boroughs are moving up here.

In all, Upstate NY isn't a bad place. It is much cheaper but slower, and there is only one downtown in every city up here, but I would like some Native New Yorkers to share some insight about Upstate NY and what they think
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 06:01 PM

187 posts, read 673,037 times
I grew up in upstate NY about an hour south of Rochester. Some of the countryside is quite beautiful expecially during fall, and there are a few things local to the area that I miss, like chicken spiedies and Bully Hill wine. On the whole, though, I'm glad I moved to NYC. I like mass transit, the faster pace, the feeling of pretty much being in the middle of everything. Even though I still have a few friends and family in and around Rochester, I get the feeling I'd feel more isolated there than I do here. I also like the weather better in NYC, by and large.

I do somewhat regret never getting the opportunity to try a garbage plate at Nick Tahou's, though. Maybe sometime when I'm much older, I'll go back to Rah-cha-cha and try one.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbler13 View Post
I grew up in upstate NY about an hour south of Rochester. Some of the countryside is quite beautiful expecially during fall, and there are a few things local to the area that I miss, like chicken spiedies and Bully Hill wine. On the whole, though, I'm glad I moved to NYC. I like mass transit, the faster pace, the feeling of pretty much being in the middle of everything. Even though I still have a few friends and family in and around Rochester, I get the feeling I'd feel more isolated there than I do here. I also like the weather better in NYC, by and large.

I do somewhat regret never getting the opportunity to try a garbage plate at Nick Tahou's, though. Maybe sometime when I'm much older, I'll go back to Rah-cha-cha and try one.

I never had one of those things either. What is a garbage plate anyway?

What part of the Bronx do you live in? Glad you enjoy it there. The only reason I left was the cost but as soon as I get my associates degree I will definately be back in NYC to start my career

Old 09-02-2008, 06:23 PM

187 posts, read 673,037 times
Nick Tahou's has a Wikipedia entry with a photo of a garbage plate: Nick Tahou Hots - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Most likely terrible for you, but I've been told, after a night of partying especially, it's quite good.

I live in Pelham Parkway now and have for the past year; no bad experiences yet, and I have a great building. Yeah, the rent is high compared to Rochester, but I feel it's well worth it to have New Yawk at your feet.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbler13 View Post
Nick Tahou's has a Wikipedia entry with a photo of a garbage plate: Nick Tahou Hots - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Most likely terrible for you, but I've been told, after a night of partying especially, it's quite good.

I live in Pelham Parkway now and have for the past year; no bad experiences yet, and I have a great building. Yeah, the rent is high compared to Rochester, but I feel it's well worth it to have New Yawk at your feet.

Thanks for the link. Heard of the place but never been. Pelham Parkway is a good place to live and it looks nice as well especially the further you are away from White Plains rd. Have you ever been to Pelham Bay Park before? Just take the Bx 12 bus there or to City Island (you'll have to transfer to the Bx 29 bus from Pelham Park).

I miss the Bronx!!! I do visit often

Old 09-02-2008, 06:53 PM

456 posts, read 1,392,769 times
Although I thought that Syracuse and the surrounding cities--Binghampton, Utica, etc.--were somewhat depressing, I loved Ithaca and I thought Hamilton was charming. As a matter of fact I am planning a trip to Ithaca soon, hopefully during the Thanksgiving weekend. It is a surprisingly vibrant, smart, funky little art town, not just a university town. A laid-back vibe, very intelligent, very few...well...rednecks. (Sorry if that term offends anyone.) Enough great shops, bookstores, restaurants, etc. to keep me happy, and the natural sites, oh my. Eco Village, the waterfalls, the hiking trails, the gorges. Ok, I am going to say it, although it has been said many many times before: Ithaca is gorgeous (gorges).

Old 09-02-2008, 06:57 PM

I have never been to Itica but I know close friends of my family that say the same thing

Old 09-02-2008, 09:19 PM

536 posts, read 2,343,051 times
One of my coworkers just moved to Albany because of how expensive it is to live down here. so you're not the only one.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:13 AM

I know. On average a Bronx 1 br costs $1000+. And the Bronx is the most affordable borough

Old 09-03-2008, 05:37 PM

Damn I thought this thread will be more lively than this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City