Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 02:36 PM

398 posts, read 1,331,548 times

Advertisements

I havent had many problems in the Bronx when I go visit.I always meet some cool people, they show mad love. Iv'e had a couple hard stares and mean mugs,but that aint nothin really.They do that here on the West Coast as well.But in New Jersey,damn. I went to this Apt complex to visit a cousin.This Apt was hood for real.Dudes doing hand to hand transactions in broad day,I almost got in fight with a fellow boriqua in a Elizabeth over abslolutley nothin.dude thought I was looking at his girl, I guess. I was like OK, Lets get it poppin,LOL. But we ended up just squashing the problem on some misunderstanding type joint.I always go wherever i need to go in life .But some neighborhoods I do try to stay away from.If i dont know anybody there. I'm just sayin.

Last edited by DjRey; 09-04-2008 at 02:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 04:42 PM

1,280 posts, read 2,443,063 times
I've been to some hoods upstate that I must admit were pretty intimidating. Being from the City, my first thought was Oh please, how bad can upstate be, but the hoods in Newburg are ridiculous, it's like the yougsters up there really think thier living the Hip-Hop video lifestyle, Kingston, Albany, and Shenectady hoods can be pretty shady as well.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:53 PM

110 posts, read 347,288 times
Rochester let's not forget is the homicide capital of New York. There are alot of Crips here

Old 09-04-2008, 05:08 PM

187 posts, read 674,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx-Rochester View Post
Rochester let's not forget is the homicide capital of New York. There are alot of Crips here
Yup. I distinctly recall hearing back in the day that Joseph Ave. in particular was a good place to get shot.

Long Island has some rough areas, too. Hempstead in particular I remember hearing was very rough-- lots of gangs.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:22 PM

629 posts, read 901,397 times
Mr.Triny33, your not alone with your first assumption about NYC being the only city with bad hoods. Alot of Ny'ers have that impression. I posted that before in prior posts. There are bad dudes and bad hoods, from coast to coast. There's people who visit mannhattan and think its bad. Most people making 6 firgure incomes lose their egde to me. I never felt unsafe in mannhattan. But I guess yrs ago, it was alot different. I feel safer in the south bronx, than in Gary, Indiana. There's ALOT of places in the deep south, that are scary as well. Some of that poverty looks like 3rd world down there.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:33 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,047,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx-Rochester View Post
I really don't know myself. In my opinion, Brownsville and East New York are easily THE worst 2 hoods in NYC.

How is it like to live in these places? I only stop through ENY and the Ville often but never lived in BK a day in my life.

I grew up in Morris Hieghts, where I dealt with, robbers, stick-up people, grimey drug dealers, Latin Kings, Black P Stones, Bloods, and no good people. I was 10 years old when for the first time I experienced firsthand how if you are not on your sh*t, you can get got.

I was walking down Sedgewick Ave toward the Burnside then these two 20-something ish Hispanic dudes were on the corner looking like they were waiting for someone to scheme on. I walked passed obliviously not paying them or anyone else to much regard. As I approached them, one of them said, "I like your sneakers, son!", I looked down and as soon as I put my head down, the other one started punching me in my face and so did the one who spoke. I started to fight back then ran back down Sedgwick. I then decided to get to my place on Loring Pl South by using West Tremont ave. I don't know why but I looked back and the 2bd guy had some blade in his hand!!! I ran the f*ck outta there and never looked back until I got home.

Morris Hieghts isn't a high crime area which is some indication that in New York, anything can happen anywhere. Not to mention that alot of things including murders go completey unreported.

I would like and appreciate any and all feedback from anyone who lives in a shady area
What are you kidding me? Morris Heights is a terrible neighborhood. Crime rate of 1,500+ per 100,000. The 46th precinct had 18 homicides last year and so far 11 this year. Those are among the highest in the city. Before you say that I dont live there, I live right above it on 183rd and Andrews, so I would know a thing about Morris/University Heights. The roughest parts are University ave 176th, University ave and Tremont, Burnside and Loring Place, Undercliff right above the Cross Bronx, Grand and 176th, then dont forget the area around the Sedgwick houses by Featherbed.

In fact the two most ghetto strips I've seen in the Bronx are W 183rd st from Aqueduct to Jerome avenue in University Heights and University avenue W 174th to Burnside avenue in Morris Heights. These are the definition of ghetto. Morris Heights has an income of around $19,000 and rehabbed buildings on University, Andrews and Macombs. Vacant lots are on 174th and Featherbed (where they are building condos), 175th University, Tremont and University among other places. Trust me I know the neighborhood like the back of my hand, East NY has NOTHING on Morris Heights.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:38 PM

The worst neighborhood in NYC comes down to Hunts Point and East Harlem. I probably give it to Hunts Point with East Harlem coming a close second. Then you can probably add a Brooklyn neighborhood, although they are overrated because they have more people than other neighborhoods and therefore higher raw numbers.

1. Hunts Point
2. East Harlem
3. Bedford-Stuyvesant
4. Mott Haven
5. ????????

Old 09-04-2008, 05:56 PM

348 posts, read 1,248,410 times
Default Mott Haven

Except for Mott Haven, I've never been to any of the places that SuperMario points out, but I am suspicious of anything he writes due to his obsessive fear mongering when it comes to the Bronx. (I suggest people take what he says with a grain of salt - or at least go back and read some of his absurdly negative posts.)

Last weekend, I walked around for over 5 hours (a lone, white female - gasp!) in Mott Haven and found it FAR from the danger zone that SM makes it out to be. I have many photos of what I found there in my Bronx photo-blog www.thebronxrocks.com (Sobro! - part 1, 2, & 3) While it is still pretty raw and rough around the edges (think Williamsburg in the nineties) I found it to be quite intriquing and I look forward to going back.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCwoman View Post
Except for Mott Haven, I've never been to any of the places that SuperMario points out, but I am suspicious of anything he writes due to his obsessive fear mongering when it comes to the Bronx. (I suggest people take what he says with a grain of salt - or at least go back and read some of his absurdly negative posts.)

Last weekend, I walked around for over 5 hours (a lone, white female - gasp!) in Mott Haven and found it FAR from the danger zone that SM makes it out to be. I have many photos of what I found there in my Bronx photo-blog www.thebronxrocks.com (Sobro! - part 1, 2, & 3) While it is still pretty raw and rough around the edges (think Williamsburg in the nineties) I found it to be quite intriquing and I look forward to going back.
I post the truth. Morris Heights is not a good neighborhood. Nor is Mott Haven. You lucked out and all of a sudden Mott Haven is this safe neighborhood? I take it that you didnt venture on Cypress ave or ST Annes....or anywhere near the vicinity of the Patterson, Mott Haven, Milbrook and Mitchell houses...or near any of the Ramon E. Betances rehabs. You would be singing a different tune. Among the poorest areas in the city and an NYPD Impact Zone to boot.

Yeah....real nice.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:14 PM

348 posts, read 1,248,410 times
Default Mott Haven

I didn't pay attention to where I was - as I said, I walked around for hours - from Bruckner Blvd & Alexander to all around St. Mary's Park going up and down different blocks. Willis, Brook are a few streets that I remember. And when I was done, I walked over to The Yankee Stadium area. I stopped into three restaurants for lunch, coffee and a drink, had my nails done on 138th, went into a few antique stores, talked to many residents (both new and old), etc. And yes, I walked by several "projects". I saw lower income people, that's all - no crime or anything that frightened me. (I admit I wouldn't necessarily want to be around those buildings at night, perhaps but during the day - not a problem from what I saw) I had about 3 people give me what I would call WTF? stares, but mostly people ignored me or were actually quite freindly, a few old timers even engaging me in conversation.

I don't buy what you're pushing, SM. And I will continue to challenge you in your quest to keep newbies out of the Bronx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City