Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 08:51 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times

Advertisements

I've been upstate. Like in Albany. Some parts of Albany are really ghetto. Really really ghetto. Just abandoned. Very 1980'sish. I agree that people overrate NYC sometimes in that department. You have to consider in NYC you are always at least a short train ride away from the hood. In some of these places around the country its just hood and nothing else around for miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 08:57 AM

110 posts, read 347,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I know that, NYCwoman, and I respect your opinions as well. And, thanks, I do tend to try to be balanced, as I know you are, since you are reporting your observations in various areas, which is refreshing since the old barriers and stereotypes need to be shattered. Moreover, one can report on one's findings and it's merely their own conception of an area, and it's nice to hear the perspective of fresh eyes. You don't have anything to gain by promoting one area over another, save for dispelling myths and helpting to bring about for a better place. One small rock can start an avalanche, which is why it's so important to have voices standing up for the borough and the communities within it, be it University Woods Park, Mott Haven, or Tremont. There is no 100% bad area in the city, and the Bronx is no exception, and anyone who argues differently doesn't understand NYC.

What I find most troubling, which seems to be the point of this thread, is the sport with which one decides which neighborhood is the worst. I mean, seriously, this is NYC in 2008 and what's bad today, can be great in 2010. In fact, I was troubled by this thread, and resisted posting to it all day, because I do not think one can actually quantify the single worst neighborhood in NYC, nor do I really understand why we would even want to do so. The self-hatred and bashing of NYC by NYers does get a bit old, since it's a same circular argument, and it's depressing and sucks the life right out of a community that could be on the precipice of change if enough voices stand up and take control.

And, while we, as NYers, know the difference a block either way can make, outsiders do not and use one small piece of evidence gathered from such exchanges to continually perpetuate the same stereotypes, thus reinforcing them for another generation. There's good and bad in so many areas of the city, and until there's a shift in the cultural acceptance of underprivileged areas being a "natural" part of this great city, that fact will continue to be sad, yet true. Mistakes, EPIC mistakes, have been made in the past, with regard to housing, transportation, and associated concerns, but it is our choice within our own respective communities to decide when enough is enough. This has been proven to be a point of change in many communities around the country, and there's no reason why it cannot be a force to turn around New York's marginal areas. Better neighborhoods, better transportation, and more options opens up housing, stabilizing a housing market that operates at extremes of low (controls/subsidies) to high (GREED), with a little in the middle whereas newer units, can bring about a resurgenace in vibrancy, and not at the $2-3M mark.

I should have titled this thread something different. This was really meant for people to give insight on neighborhoods you feel are high crime that you LIVE IN or HAVE LIVED IN!!! People who are not as familiar with an area do not always give the best insight on said area, as they have never resided there to know about it. Visiting somewhere does not give you the whole vibe of a place and you only see it, not live it. There is a diffference.

That's why I posted this thread and I'm not bashing NY. You don't have to post here if you don't want to.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:14 AM

15 posts, read 15,807 times
Hmm...all this talk about Mott Haven and I had to stop by! SuperMario...glad to see you are back and up to your usual Hustlarisms. I think we can all agree that Mott Haven has its problems, the question though, does it not have anything else? We can spend all day discussing the problems of Mott Haven, Harlem, etc...we know about the poverty, the isolation/segregation, the housing projects, the bad schools, the crime, the drugs...and on and on. We get it...it's been talked about and rehashed for 40 years..I think everyone gets it. What SOME are doing now is talking about the changes that are occuring despite the odds...and the changes are truly astonishing. Sushi in Mott Haven? Even I was astounded, and it seems very strange to me. White people in Mott Haven? Absolutely shocking to me. New Businesses of all kinds moving in...new working/middle class people moving in, new retail, new luxury/affordable condos/co-ops, new 3 family market and subsidized homes, numerous renovated buildings, tree plantings everywhere, new and renovated parks, and the list goes on. The interest, investment, and changes from the public and private sector is in the billions, with no end in sight and it is making a profound difference....I see the changes literally everyday. No Mott Haven is not the next Williamsburg in my opinion, but why should it be..or why is that something to strive to? Nobody knows the future of Mott Haven, but what we do know is that the city, state, and community of new and old residents are making a profound investment and subsequent impact on the area. How this will play out nobody knows. We also know that so long as the housing projects are managed and operated the same way, the area will no doubt retain much of its core problems, albeit in better packaging. I discuss the positives AND the negatives...exactly what positives have you ever discussed about Mott Haven SuperMario? If you want people to be fair and balanced...you should set the example.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:31 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,570,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBronxGuy View Post
Hmm...all this talk about Mott Haven and I had to stop by! SuperMario...glad to see you are back and up to your usual Hustlarisms. I think we can all agree that Mott Haven has its problems, the question though, does it not have anything else? We can spend all day discussing the problems of Mott Haven, Harlem, etc...we know about the poverty, the isolation/segregation, the housing projects, the bad schools, the crime, the drugs...and on and on. We get it...it's been talked about and rehashed for 40 years..I think everyone gets it. What SOME are doing now is talking about the changes that are occuring despite the odds...and the changes are truly astonishing. Sushi in Mott Haven? Even I was astounded, and it seems very strange to me. White people in Mott Haven? Absolutely shocking to me. New Businesses of all kinds moving in...new working/middle class people moving in, new retail, new luxury/affordable condos/co-ops, new 3 family market and subsidized homes, numerous renovated buildings, tree plantings everywhere, new and renovated parks, and the list goes on. The interest, investment, and changes from the public and private sector is in the billions, with no end in sight and it is making a profound difference....I see the changes literally everyday. No Mott Haven is not the next Williamsburg in my opinion, but why should it be..or why is that something to strive to? Nobody knows the future of Mott Haven, but what we do know is that the city, state, and community of new and old residents are making a profound investment and subsequent impact on the area. How this will play out nobody knows. We also know that so long as the housing projects are managed and operated the same way, the area will no doubt retain much of its core problems, albeit in better packaging. I discuss the positives AND the negatives...exactly what positives have you ever discussed about Mott Haven SuperMario? If you want people to be fair and balanced...you should set the example.
Excellent Post! And whatever the future holds for Mott haven, it promises to be much better than the past. There are always casualties when there is progress but your post sounded all-inclusive, i.e., you included the "older"residents in your analysis while recognizing that the status quo cannot remain intact for things to improve.

I think most of the regular posters know that you've been going to bat for Mott haven for a while and I'd like to commend you and wish the area well.

Any betterment in any neighborhood in NYC is a plus for all New Yorkers.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:30 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx-Rochester View Post
I should have titled this thread something different. This was really meant for people to give insight on neighborhoods you feel are high crime that you LIVE IN or HAVE LIVED IN!!! People who are not as familiar with an area do not always give the best insight on said area, as they have never resided there to know about it. Visiting somewhere does not give you the whole vibe of a place and you only see it, not live it. There is a diffference.

That's why I posted this thread and I'm not bashing NY. You don't have to post here if you don't want to.
I did not think that you were bashing NY, and I do understand the reason the the thread, since you are 100% correct that visiting and living in a neighborhood are two different things completely, both for the good and the bad.

My thoughts were more generalized since I have encountered a real undercurrent, not from posters on this board, but from NYers such that they like to seize upon the negative. And, things can quickly escalate into a flame war at times as well, when it's merely the meeting of two passionate minds with differing opinions.

Old 09-05-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I did not think that you were bashing NY, and I do understand the reason the the thread, since you are 100% correct that visiting and living in a neighborhood are two different things completely, both for the good and the bad.

My thoughts were more generalized since I have encountered a real undercurrent, not from posters on this board, but from NYers such that they like to seize upon the negative. And, things can quickly escalate into a flame war at times as well, when it's merely the meeting of two passionate minds with differing opinions.

Yes, that is true, opinions are going to differ as people see different things when in fact they are looking and observing the same thing (for ex. the little dispute between NewYorkGirl and Supermario) but that was the underlying purpose of the thread and in all, even as a New Yorker, it has been informative reading all of your opinions.

Thank you all

Old 09-05-2008, 04:18 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,718,599 times
A friend of mine who lives in the Rochester 'burbs had a friend of his with us one night, he was telling us that there's a huge gang presence there. I couldn't believe it.

As far as NYC goes, worst neighborhood? Is Soundview as bad as I've read it is? A few years ago I was interning at a news station when the Diallo trial was ending and they sent a reporter down there every day. Nothing bad happened, but I'd heard it was pretty bad down there. Is this true?

Old 09-05-2008, 04:30 PM

There is. I don't like to put this out there but I used roll with Growth & Development. Don't ask what it is, but there are alot of Crips here as I said before and some fake dipset Bloods, 9-3 Gangsters on both the east side and the west side, some Brims, Latin Kings (they hate the Bloods up here as in NYC they are actually aligning), alot of Black P Stones on Portland ave and alot of smaller local gangs.

There is a saying that just about everyone in Rochester is in a gang.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:44 PM

576 posts, read 1,596,369 times
This was very well put.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBronxGuy View Post

Old 09-05-2008, 09:33 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I have no agenda. I will be the first to admit that the Bronx is nowhere near as dangerous as it was in 1990, 1980, ,or 1977 or any year in between, All I am saying is that there are still many neighborhoods in the Bronx that aren't safe. Whoever wants to move to the Bronx can be my guest. But they should know what to expect.
supermario says he has no agenda, but what about all the posts like this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
When the first few pioneers move into the south Bronx and live to tell about it, more of their kind will follow. This cycle continues and every time displaces the residents. The city will cater to the new residents needs and the only poor left will be living in the projects. This is a form of isolation that must not occur. Guy expects revitalization but in most likelyhood the Bronx will become the LES. Void of any character or grit with a bunch of froot loops roaming the streets. The poor will be left to fend for themselves in an island of projects. Where in there lies the revitalization? I would like to know. That is exactly what is going to occur and it's a damn shame if it does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City