Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 07:40 PM

480 posts, read 2,829,353 times

Advertisements

We've already informed her about the outer boroughs. As indicated, it's usually more affordable to live in an outer borough, but she seems to be focusing on Manhattan.

I agree in that she should consider multiple possibilities before making a final decision.

Last edited by Check123; 02-06-2007 at 07:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2007, 08:34 PM

500 posts, read 2,859,732 times
Now, why pay 1700 in super-white-full-of-moms-and-annoying Park Slope and surrounding areas when you could get an apartment for the same price in Midtown Manhattan?

How many young white parents have been mugged lately in Park Slope? More than ten and twenty, believe me.

Why is that all those Park Slope places are advertised as "only 20 minutes from Manhattan"? Because Manhattan is where everyone gravitates around!

(all those annoying cool kids that have taken Brooklyn by storm would live in Manhattan if they had the chance and the money)

Leave the Slope for the poseurs and the moms and live where the action is- Manhattan.

Old 02-07-2007, 03:48 PM

284 posts, read 1,657,322 times
Also consider Hoboken or Jersey City. I don't see them mentioned often on this forum (it is the New York forum, after all), but depending on where you plan to work and spend your free time, they may be closer than some places in Queens or Brooklyn.

Plus, your income taxes will be lower.

But Manhattan is a once in a lifetime experience. Consider a roommate, even if you thought you were over roommates. Saves money and you may even have an instant social life (but don't count on it).

The roommate finder sites are good: easyroommate, roomiematch, etc.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:11 AM

1,990 posts, read 7,634,102 times
What about Long Island City, Queens? It is only two or 3 subway stops away from Midtown. I'm sure you can find a nice apartment there.

Old 02-09-2007, 05:12 PM

10 posts, read 30,976 times
Default Hey Texas

1200 a month, check out Bayside Queens. That is Northeast Queens. LIRR to Manhattan 23 minutes. Bell Blvd. great place for singles plenty of places to hop no cars buses trains.

Old 02-11-2007, 09:22 AM

3 posts, read 23,195 times
Thanks everyone for your help! I'm sure I'll have more questions once I actually start moving around May.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,960 times
Default Please Help Me!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello,
My name is Joseph Bryant I'm 17 and im living in a really bad place my parents are unfit, disrespectful, And a danger to me and themselves so im moving out of my parents house and i need help finding a place that well be good only me no animals just me PLEASE HELP ME FAST
THANK YOU!!!!!

Old 02-12-2008, 08:08 AM

288 posts, read 1,191,565 times
Mitzy didn't say she'd rather live in Manhattan. She just said she wants an inexpensive, relatively safe place.

Doing that w/out roomies could mean Astoria/Long Island City, Jackson Heights, South Slope/Windsor Terrace/Kensington, western Crown Heights/Eastern Parkway, Sunset Park.

Early summer yields some apt. rental discounts.

Manhattan is where the work is in the morning; many people choose not to live there even if they can afford it. It's a 15-20 minute train ride (in Astoria/LIC more like 2-5 min.).

Jersey City is sketchier and lacks services. She's priced out of Hoboken. Hudson-Bergen Light Rail is unusably expensive and PATH is 1.50/trip, when you can spend 75.00 or so for almost a month of unlimited MTA.

Last edited by ctrres; 02-12-2008 at 08:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City