Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2008, 05:55 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,043,032 times

Advertisements

i know this is a tough request, but do you have any good recommendations? prefer somewhere in manhattan, but western queens, northwestern brooklyn, or northeastern nj are fine, too.

i'm looking to avoid the super popular, overly crowded places such as espnzone, park avenue country club, scruffy duffy's, mercury bar, etc. (those places have probably been booked for several weeks, anyhow.) i'm also not interested in chain restaurants/bars such as applebee's, hawaiian tropic zone, etc. a decent food and beer menu would be nice, but not mandatory.

wondering if there's a neighborhood restaurant/bar anywhere in the areas mentioned that has multiple tvs (fairly large to large) and a solid amount of table and bar seating but isn't well-known outside of its immediate neighborhood. someplace where i could conceivably show up less than 2 hours before the game, grab a seat, and watch the game without the place being ridiculously mobbed. i know almost every bar is going to be packed b/c the giants are playing in the game, but maybe there's a hidden gem, perhaps in an ethnic neighborhood where the game won't be a big deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 06:24 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,338,020 times
Redemption Grill and Bar on 2nd Ave and 53rd St

Food is good, the bartenders are cute girls, and it has big TV's

I went their for a company party, it is nice and cozy, and not located in the hipster areas.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
Redemption Grill and Bar on 2nd Ave and 53rd St

Food is good, the bartenders are cute girls, and it has big TV's

I went their for a company party, it is nice and cozy, and not located in the hipster areas.
i'll check it out tomorrow, see how it looks. thanks. but i'm concerned that it's in a very frat-heavy area and, since it's in midtown, there's virtually no chance that it won't be crowded by noon on sunday.

any other suggestions out there? perhaps there's a place in, say, astoria, jackson heights, or sunset park that has big tvs and is popular with immigrants for watching international sporting events but is unlikely to be crowded for the super bowl? hey, a man can dream, right?

Old 09-03-2008, 03:36 PM

reviving this thread because the nfl season is about to start...

i'm looking for a new place in the city to watch all the games for this upcoming nfl season. but everywhere i've been is a super loud, wall-to-wall frat boy scene where it's impossible to get a seat for a big game unless you arrive hours beforehand or make a reservation in advance. examples of this are blondie's, park avenue country club, croxley ales - places i try to avoid.

does anyone have an under-the-radar sports bar recommendation where the food is pretty good, the beer selection is decent, the crowds aren't ridiculously loud and out-of-control, and there is a good number of large TVs? i realize it's unreasonable to expect any sports bar to be completely empty, but is it too much to ask for a place that is a little more relaxed and where a small group can just walk in and grab a table, say, an hour before gametime?

any recommendations in midtown or downtown (and points in between) are preferred, but the UWS/UES are ok, too.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:16 PM

any tips?

Old 09-06-2008, 02:11 PM

655 posts, read 1,992,908 times
i like foley's.

Old 09-06-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhf1979 View Post
i like foley's.
are you talking about this place, on 33rd btwn 5th & broadway?

http://foleysny.com

Old 09-06-2008, 04:37 PM

yep, that's the one. i've never gone there to watch football but i've been there a few times it's nice plus their wall of sports artifacts is impressive.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:38 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,546,066 times
fiddlesticks - its an irish pub/restaurant on greenwich ave b/w 6th & 7th ave

very low key. i don't think they have a big screen though

Old 09-06-2008, 07:51 PM

don't know if it's under the radar but i also like the village pourhouse on third avenue and 11th street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City