Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 06:50 PM

12 posts, read 36,972 times

Advertisements

so me and my girl are thinking of moving to new york city and was wondering where are ideal locations for a couple to live, I'll prolly be workign at wal-mart since i'm with them already and you can transfer to other stores that way i would have a job when i get there and i don't know what my girl will be doing but i know she'll get a job too, so just wondering. also what are 1 bedrooms usually running for there, and if you live in NYC do you really need a car cause if not i'll prolly sell mine, also does anyone know what on stockers at walmart make there? thanks a bunch, umm if it helps at all me and my girl both like plays so we don't want to be a million miles away from broadway and also we don't want to be in the ghetto. thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 06:51 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,869,280 times
Well, there are no Wal-Marts in Manhattan, so it solves one problem. What's your budget?

Old 09-04-2008, 06:53 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,967,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Well, there are no Wal-Marts in Manhattan, so it solves one problem. What's your budget?
No Walmarts anywhere near NYC to add to that.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:02 PM

12 posts, read 36,972 times
oh well i don't know my budget see right now i make about 2k a month so i was gonna try to save up enough for rent and get a job there but if there is no walmart I'll prolly have to get another job and i'm pretty sure that nyc pays well so split between 2 people i dunno maybe 2400-3000 a month income (just guessing) so i guess for an apartment maybe 1000-1500 a month (again just guessing) what kinds of jobs do they have there and is manhattan in nyc?

Old 09-04-2008, 07:05 PM

468 posts, read 2,352,796 times
There's a Wal-Mart in downtown White Plains. It's about 35 minutes from Grand Central on the Metro-North (which is closer than half of Brooklyn and Queens), so I think it qualifies as "near NYC."

You could probably afford to live in the Bronx on a Wal-Mart salary if your girl is also working, where you wouldn't need a car and would be able to go to Broadway fairly easily. But know that you won't be able to live like a king. NYC has a high cost of living and I don't think Wal-Mart pays much better in New York than elsewhere.

There will probably never be a Wal-Mart in NYC city limits, due to union opposition.

Also, if you want to keep your car, you could also look into whichever Wal-Mart is closest to NYC in North Jersey. You could probably find one that's a bit closer, but I think you'd need a car to get to it. The one in White Plains is in the downtown and walkable from the train station.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:05 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,869,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epedamia View Post
oh well i don't know my budget see right now i make about 2k a month so i was gonna try to save up enough for rent and get a job there but if there is no walmart I'll prolly have to get another job and i'm pretty sure that nyc pays well so split between 2 people i dunno maybe 2400-3000 a month income (just guessing) so i guess for an apartment maybe 1000-1500 a month (again just guessing) what kinds of jobs do they have there and is manhattan in nyc?
You need to do some serious research and thinking. Take a look at the sticky about moving to NYC. You might find an apartment for what you're looking for, but I wouldn't bet on it unless it's a studio. $36,000/year before taxes (federal, city and state taxes) isn't much in NYC.

Please look at a map: Manhattan is one of the five boroughs of New York City.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:07 PM

468 posts, read 2,352,796 times
Quote:
is manhattan in nyc?
Manhattan is the part of NYC you see in movies, with all the big skyscrapers and cabs zipping around and huge crowds of people. There are 5 boroughs in NYC, Manhattan is one of them, along with Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx, and Staten Island.

You should read the wikipedia article on NYC to get yourself up to speed on this kind of stuff.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:12 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,548,219 times
Quote:
and is manhattan in nyc?
well finally a poster who doesn't claim that Manhattan IS NYC.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:13 PM

838 posts, read 1,204,798 times
You will not live near broadway..unless it's broadway in Queens. I HAVE lived off of 2k a month here..but I rented a basement studio for $675 in Middle Village. Well it was actually above ground but I suppose that's what they call it. I also saved tons on food b/c I brought home food from my job. Normally though, 2k isn't cutting it. But if your girl is working too..and you guys can budget..you will be good. Don't count on going to too many broadway shows though..they are by no means cheap.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:05 PM

467 posts, read 1,680,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
No Walmarts anywhere near NYC to add to that.
Right. The closest Walmart I think (well at least closest to Queens) would be the one in Valley Stream (Long Island) in the Green Acres Mall. I don't know. I've been in a Walmart once in my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City