Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2008, 08:39 AM

15 posts, read 15,736 times

Advertisements

In case you didn't realize, Rangel may be the most corrupt politician in NYC..and that is no easy accomplishment! He is head of the Ways and Means committe which sets Tax Policy, but the Post has revealed he has been GROSSLY cheating on his taxes for over 20 years, AND has purposely lied about it in letters to the ethic committee!!! WOW! How much more can we tolerate....it's ridiculous! "The chairman of the powerful Ways and Means Committee at first denied that he earned any money to a Post reporter, then said the whole thing was "a private matter." But now Rangel's lawyer says disclosure forms will be refiled for a number of years. Filing a false disclosure form can result in civil penalties and a possible five-year prison sentence." "In June 2001, Rangel sent a letter to the ethics committee saying his properties, including his home in the Dominican Republic, are "jointly owned by my wife and me." The letter added that "there was no income derived from these assets" in 2000." CHARLIE RANGEL ADMITS TO VILLA INCOME - New York Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 08:45 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,172,561 times
Seems like Rangel is on his way out. He must have pissed a few people off, or some people are getting really hungry for his spot.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:02 AM

Yeah thats what is looks like to me...his time was up about 10 years ago actually...he never got the message. I think he got it now.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:44 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,204,196 times
Unhappy I Doubt it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBronxGuy View Post
Yeah thats what is looks like to me...his time was up about 10 years ago actually...he never got the message. I think he got it now.
Remember Marion Barry in Washington, DC...our nations capital......he was arrested, convicted, sent to jail......and upon his release...ran for the same office he violated...and won with a land slide victory......so tell me...do you think that the voters that continually vote for Rangel really care what he does......or is it some other reason that they continue to vote him into office......

Old 09-05-2008, 10:25 AM

I sincerely believe people don't care unfortunately...he is someone that they are accustomed to and comfortable with...and many people in the district are so used to the crime, drugs, problems, and typical political criminal activity, that they have come to accept a level of the criminal element in their politicians...and we all do to some degree unfortunately. Which is why he pretty much does what he wants, flaunts laws, and laughs about it in public....because what are the ramifications? He will always be voted back into office! At least he thinks he will....

Old 09-05-2008, 12:49 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,840,296 times
One of the reasons that he was continually voted in was that no one was running against him really. Or at least no one that anyone actually heard of or knew anything about. So we have kind of been stuck with him.

I hear there are some challengers out there now that are making themselves known. So we will see what happens.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:07 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,546,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
One of the reasons that he was continually voted in was that no one was running against him really. Or at least no one that anyone actually heard of or knew anything about. So we have kind of been stuck with him.

I hear there are some challengers out there now that are making themselves known. So we will see what happens.
Adam Clayton Powell, son of the renowned late Harlem congressman by the same name, once ran against Rangel and lost.

I think people in the district re-elect this guy becuase of a comfort factor and the perception that he's been around for so long, he's got to be good. It's like a self-pepetuating myth.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:51 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,840,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
Adam Clayton Powell, son of the renowned late Harlem congressman by the same name, once ran against Rangel and lost.

I think people in the district re-elect this guy becuase of a comfort factor and the perception that he's been around for so long, he's got to be good. It's like a self-pepetuating myth.
Yes, Powell III was a good challenger, it was not only the comfort factor, at that time, Rangel and his people were telling the constituents that a Congressman has to stay in office for a certain amount of terms in order to gain any real power to change things for their constituents. Also making the point, that Rangel was just getting to this point in his career and if he was re-elected he would then be in that position where he could make real changes.

Constituents believed this and did not want to take the chance on Powell III. But now things are different. Rangel is a most powerful Congressional member and not much has changed for the average Harlem citizen. Schools for the most part are still not up to par. Housing has been mostly developed for the very poor and the wealthy. Most Harlemites are now working/middleclass and there is very little that has been developed for them.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:17 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,546,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
Most Harlemites are now working/middleclass and there is very little that has been developed for them.

The challenge for the powers that be in NYC is to ensure that this issue is resolved and does not rear its ugly head in other "gentrifying" areas of the city.

Too often, the strategy is to let the big shots roll in, let's build a few shelters to take care of the homeless, push some section 8, and sit back, pat ourselves on the backs, have some champagne and caviar with the deveoplers, moguls, and assorted power players - then move on to the next waiting area.

Sure we need to gentrify, rehab, develop decaying neighborhoods. Developlers and tycoons aren't the bad guys. It's our elected officials that have to play the roles we elected them for - to be overseer and ensure that all strata of each neighborhood find a place in the rejuvenated environments across the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: