Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 01:27 AM

10 posts, read 21,492 times

Advertisements

crime in new york city was actually on a decline since the kotch years. People forget the fiscal crisis that abe beame put nyc in during the 70's. Albany and the rest of the country gave nyc the finger when it came to cash
what happened then? he didnt get relected and well we ended up with ed kotch. You know what? it was Kotch that ruled with an iron fist when it came to crime. He brought us out of the fiscal crisis, brought down the huge crime rates of murder, rape and robberies during the 70's and tried to fix the worngs. The city was clawing out and what happened? dinkins....

Dinkins was the worst mayor I have ever seen. All social programs and spend spend spend. Cops were outraged because they were getting cut again. Crime soured and urban decay started again. why do you think he didnt get relected?

Rudy and bloomberg have been exactly what this city needs in order to stay competative. Crime is really low compaired to 1990, quality of life issues are the highest amoung big cities, building of low cost housing is still happening, and well generally the city has come to life again.

as far as the teachers and schools. He has done an excellent job of retaining young teachers and giving them a safe enviroment to work in. Yes he has cut funding but that is due to albany also not licving up to there end of the bargin. Teachers make a really good salary in nyc compaired to there other major cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 01:44 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
I would agree that Dinkins was the worst...words cannot describe how truly bad he was.

Old 04-17-2009, 04:38 PM

2 posts, read 2,796 times
Default Bloomberg Perpetuates FEAR Stemming from GREED

Being a New Yorker all my life, living in Manhattan and using my
car to travel through the city has been my lifestyle. Since
Mayor Bloomberg took office I immediately felt a hostile
impact emanating from this mayor targeting drivers. At
first he insisted drivers feed the Meters on Sunday. Thank
goodness the City Council finally fought and won despite
the new Sunday meter signs that Bloomberg hurried to
put up. No meters on Sunday - one small victory. And now
he has hired enforcement officers on almost every sidestreet
in New York, hired them in pairs to ticket drivers for every
inconceivable traffic violation imagineable. These officers
create violations that exceed judgement. Bloomberg
is paying these officers a fortune to make a bigger fortune
on desperate New Yorkers. He has turned a once loved
city into a miserable prisonlike mentality. These tickets
feed the city - Mayor Bloomberg perpetuates FEAR
in New Yorkers emanting from his own GREED.
The city streets are filthy. I have travelled to third world
countries, where street sweapers are up at 5 AM cleaning
the streets. Bloomberg's energy is ARROGANT - he is
not a man of the people. Guliani and Koch were great
Mayors - this guy rides in a Black limousine/chauffeur
driven and never has put his feet down the sidewalks of
New York. We have living Hell to look forward to if
he has another term.

Old 04-17-2009, 04:59 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Travis View Post
Guliani and Koch were great
Mayors - this guy rides in a Black limousine/chauffeur
driven and never has put his feet down the sidewalks of
New York.
So are you saying that he beams himself onto the subway and the Lexington IRT every morning??? I've SEEN him on the subway. I think he's doing a great job in a tough situation.

Old 04-18-2009, 11:07 AM

217 posts, read 921,535 times
Wrong on guns, right on transportation, wrong on drugs. The City has changed a lot; folks who were on the cutting edge of what was cool in the 1980s are all pushing 50 or more, and those from the 1990s are all past 40. Thus, we're left with the moneyed, younger, more boring people who would prefer Bloomberg because they don't know anything else. I wouldn't mind Mark Green as Mayor, but I wouldn't vote for him.

Old 04-18-2009, 01:38 PM

674 posts, read 1,813,668 times
Any idiot can throw all the money he has to building a better LOOKING community thats what bloomberg is doing so in that case we might as well elect Bill Gates for mayor of NYC. But right now I dont see anybody posting a real threat to bloomberg so he might just win the election............do I like it no but he will probably win and nyc will keep getting worse and more expensive to live in

Old 04-22-2009, 06:44 PM

2 posts, read 2,796 times
Mayor Bloomberg loves New York City but not the people that live here.
He may ride the IRT for 'show' but believes he is Superior to New Yorkers.
Bloomberg adores Power by instilling Fear, is attached to Greed, and
hides behind his huge Ego.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:24 PM

877 posts, read 2,768,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg05 View Post

Dinkins was the worst mayor I have ever seen. All social programs and spend spend spend. Cops were outraged because they were getting cut again. Crime soured and urban decay started again. why do you think he didnt get relected?
A lot of people did not like Dinkins but he did start the police programs that have been credited with the drastic decline in crime in the city. Guilliani built on that program and took credit for it but it started under Dinkins and he should be credited for that initiative.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:44 PM

185 posts, read 752,134 times
Bloomberg? Depends on how bad the other candidates are. As awful as he is, Thompson is even worse because he talks like a populists and wants more cuts than Bloomberg himself. Out of the current major cadidates, I'm currently for Avella, who atleast seems honest and non-"political" / down to earth councilman. I am shocked. All i hear on the news is Hugo Chavez this and that, and yet Bloomberg pulls a "Castro" and it all becomes okay... sigh.

I voted for him before.....In fact, I supported him both times, All I can say is thered better be a better candidate this time around cause I will NOT be happy if I have to vote for Bloomberg a third time.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:48 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
I am surprised that so many people can state so strongly that Bloomy is evil/greedy/hates NYers etc. Does anyone actually KNOW him or do they just base their opinions on the gossip stories posing as news? Bloomberg has done so much for this city it boggle my mind that people find him so bad. Where do I even start? He HATES the working class NYers that are the backbone of this city...so why would he create the largest affordable housing program in this city specifically targeted to the working class! He hates the poor, yet he has invested BILLIONS into the public school system (mostly filled with poor kids) and improved test results, graduation rates, AND made them safer for the kids. He is making the city worse...so he decides to plant 1 million trees to help beautify the city and make the air cleaner for not only those communities with high concentrations of asthma but for all neighborhoods. Oh lets not forget how much he hates all NYers, so he decided to create LOTS of parks and bike lanes so that we can exercise and enjoy our city. Please stop with the rhetoric...Bloomy continues to invest in the city the right way, which is why our city is IMPROVING, crime continues to go down. The economy stinks right now, but if we did not institute his policies, crime woud have skyrocketed by now and we would all be in worse shape. Believe it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City