Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about where you live in NYC?
I live in a place that I love. 8 50.00%
I live in a place that like. 4 25.00%
I live in place that I do not like. 1 6.25%
I live in a place that I hate. 3 18.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 08:33 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,527,426 times

Advertisements

We all know how difficult it is to find good housing in NYC, unless you've got a fortune to spend. I thought it would be interesting to find out how some people on this forum manage with housing.

Do you have (or have you ever had) an apartment or house that you really loved/hated? What are the things that you like(d) best/least about it? What part of the city is (was) it in?

Last edited by Pivot Point; 09-06-2008 at 08:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 08:44 PM

629 posts, read 896,446 times
I think the biggest thing in NYC that people have to deal with, is PRIVACY issues. They might like the apt their in, minus the roommate or for some, ROOMMATES. I truely believe, that alot of ny'ers hit the streets for privacy. I know that sounds crazy cause of all the crowded streets here. But I never had a roommate before coming here. And I know I go out for privacy. Its a different type of privacy though. Maybe someone on here knows what I'm talking about. Living with a complete stranger is not a normal thing to do. It takes a long time for some to get use to. And some will never get use to it.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:28 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,782,675 times
When I first moved to New York -- waaaaaaaaaay back in 1976 -- I took an au pair job for family that lived in the Apthorp Building on Broadway and W. 79th Street (officially, the building has a West End Avenue address).

It wasn't MY apartment, but it was nice. Very, VERY nice .....

Old 09-06-2008, 09:40 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,539,553 times
I like my present apartment on the Upper West Side. I like it for its location, easy access to the 1,2,3 trains as well as the C train. I like that I can walk two blocks to Central Park which I love so much for its quiet and serenity - a little piece of Nature in the Big Apple.

It's a decent, unpretentious apartment in an equally unpretentious building - but I enjoy having an elevator and on-site laundry.

Despite all its pluses, I'm now ready to move on to my other favorite borough - Queens, but I'll always cherish the pleasures I've had in this corner of the world.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:35 AM

3,368 posts, read 11,630,222 times
I like my apartment. It's on the sixth floor of a multi-story building on the border of Brooklyn Heights, Cobble Hill, and Downtown Brooklyn. Two bedrooms, two bathrooms, big windows, and plenty of space for my roommate and myself. I don't plan to move anytime soon!

Old 09-07-2008, 10:02 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,009,751 times
I like my apartment for the most part. There are certainly a few things I would change about it - like some things need to be renovated and I need new kitchen appliances and the floors/ceilings are far from soundproof, but the apartment itself is huge (950 sq ft one bedroom), light and airy, high ceilings, quiet and in a nice building. It's funny to live in a neighborhood that everyone considers so crazy and congested -- because parts of it are -- but to have windows that look onto a beautiful garden and the only sounds I hear right now are wind rustling in the trees, a few voices of people enjoying or working on the garden on a Sunday morning, and an occasional car passing.

As far as location goes, I never thought I would get used to living in Queens (always preferred Brooklyn) but I think I'm finally used to it and appreciate the neighborhood for what it is. And it's a quick trip to Manhattan on the train.

As for other places I've lived here, I would say that my first place in NY I did NOT like. It was on the Upper West Side - yes, great location - but the apartment was dark, my room was really small and decrepit, the kitchen was scary, and the neighborhood did not really interest me even though many people would love to live there.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:20 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,782,675 times
My first apartment, circa 1978, was a one bedroom walk-up on East 75th Street between 1st and York. It was on the 6th floor, the bedroom was so small that we put in a loft bed so there would be room to turn around, the tub (no shower) was in the kitchen, and the toilet was outside the apartment -- down the hall. Fortunately, the toilet was exclusively for our use, but it was still kinda creepy to actually have to leave the apartment to use the bathroom.

Oh, and this was a rent-stabilized place that cost me $180/month .....

Old 09-07-2008, 10:47 AM

467 posts, read 1,679,165 times
I love my apt. I live in Astoria. It's really big, high cathedral ceilings, marble kitchen, balcony, 2 bathrooms, garage and driveway. I like my roommates. We have a lot of space. We can have nice big gatherings and fit a lot of people. It's cozy. It's a good location. I wish we were closer to the subway, but I don't really mind the walk. It's a new building. Good stuff.

My first place on my own SUCKED. It was in Manhattan-UPE on 1st. My room was like a closet. Gross, dirty. Horrible landlord.

The reason I'd leave my place now has nothing to do with the actual apt, but I'd leave to live on my own or with my BF. I'd miss this place though.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:42 AM

348 posts, read 1,244,393 times
I've lived both on the UES and UWS and although the location was great (1/2 block from the park in two apartments) - the units were tiny studios. One was renovated, and two were not. The unrenovated ones both had one small wall devoted to being a kitchen "area". Before I moved to NY, I didn't realize they made sinks, stoves and fridges so small! And using appliances and cupboards that were easily 30-50 years old and by who knows how many renters over the years can be very, very creepy. At those two places, I didn't even want to open the drawers or cupboards, so mostly I survived on takeout.

I then moved to Williamsburg in the nineties - triple the amount of space for the same rent, although the building was an unappealing railroad. Not really much going on back then, and freinds would not come out to visit, so I just decided to finally start looking to buy. I ended up with a converted condo in Montclair. I was on the bottom floor of an old Victorian (the whole bottom part of the home was all mine) - two ornamental fireplaces, wainscoting, beautiful wooden floors, high ceilings, original stainglass windows, huge pocket doors separating the two "parlor rooms" one of which was my bedroom....simply gorgeous. And I had a garden!!! Unfortunately, I sold after 9/11 to go back to be with family in California. While I made a decent profit, I lost over 100k in equity had I waited another 2-3 years to sell. Oh well...shoulda, woulda, coulda.

Two years ago, I bought in Parkchester - large one-bedroom, high ceilings, 5 windows (including one in the kitchen and bath), cement block walls (so very little noise), views of trees and lawn and huge open spaces....The commute is about 45 minutes to an hour door to door on the Express bus. I wish it were closer, but it's well worth it to me. (And all for a little over $1,000 a month!!) In all, I am very, very happy with my purchase.

Though, If I had the money to buy on the UWS, I would in a heartbeat - I love the area and the vibe.

Old 09-07-2008, 01:17 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,961,227 times
I have pretty much the same opinion as Henna.. since we both live in the Historical District. =]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City