U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 07:55 AM

803 posts, read 2,763,920 times

Advertisements

I'm originally FROM Dallas.....

I lived in NYC 4 years, and ate at the "Dallas BBQ" in Manhattan....

It's neither good, nor Texan, in taste.... yet another cheap ripoff of what they think people will be able to stomach....

Unfortunately, there IS NO GOOD AUTHENTIC TEXAS-STYLE BAR-BE-QUE anywhere in New York, although Bronxites will flock to this garbage anyway, and THINK they are eating Texas BBQ......

NOTE: "Sylvai's" in Harlem is a MUCH better representation of down-home Texas food (including BBQ) than anything else currently available in NYC....

Last edited by By~Tor; 09-14-2008 at 07:56 AM.. Reason: adding info
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 08:57 AM

348 posts, read 1,159,833 times
I think people in the Bronx will be less concerned about the authenticity of the food than they are about finally getting big business to see this borough as an underserved part of NYC. As much as I hate chain stores and the Walmartization in other areas of the country, the Bronx has simply had too little of anything for too long. I welcome any retailer who takes a chance here - and more will be sure to follow.

But thanks for reminding me about Sylvia's! I have had that place on my list forever - I will definitely hop to it and get on over there!

Old 09-15-2008, 08:32 PM

2,868 posts, read 4,323,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCwoman View Post
I think people in the Bronx will be less concerned about the authenticity of the food than they are about finally getting big business to see this borough as an underserved part of NYC. As much as I hate chain stores and the Walmartization in other areas of the country, the Bronx has simply had too little of anything for too long. I welcome any retailer who takes a chance here - and more will be sure to follow.

But thanks for reminding me about Sylvia's! I have had that place on my list forever - I will definitely hop to it and get on over there!
You'll absolutely love it! The corn bread is crazy good!!

Old 09-15-2008, 10:26 PM

59 posts, read 220,183 times
I ate at Sylvia's one time and it wasn't all that great of course this is just my opinion. I actually like Manna's Soul Food Restaurant in Harlem better but again just my opinion.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:56 PM

177 posts, read 652,987 times
Dallas BBQ is pretty awful IMO. I remember eating at one somewhere uptown years ago, and in '06 ate at the one on 42nd St. the first weekend it was open. The waitress was very ghetto and unprofessional, and tried shooing us out because it was around closing time, even though there were other people still eating too. I found out we were her last table and her ghetto pack of hoodrat friends showed up and were freeloading at another booth (not ordering or spending money) and yapping with her. I will never go to a Dallas BBQ again, due to its taste and the awful experience with a ghetto old waitress.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:11 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,061,908 times
The one in Chelsea is pretty good and the one on the Upper West Side (72nd/Columbus?) is the best I've been to.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:13 AM

8,749 posts, read 16,699,774 times
By~Tor that is a very poor statement. I can use the same argument about food in Dallas....NO GOOD PIZZA, for example..yet Dallas-ites (or whatever you call yourselves) flock to the Papa John's/Pizza Hut/Dominos garbage and eat it up like it was free and the best thing since sliced bread. What exactly is the point of your statement? To be rude to Bronxites...or a general distaste for NY? People just want more amenities, just like the 5,000 McDonald's/Applebees/Chilis/Olive Garden middle America chains that dominate areas like Dallas. Why would anyone want that garbage food in Dallas? As for Sylvia's...that place was in its hayday 15 years ago..I would not recommend the place now at all.If you go...make sure to note that the place is VERY HIGH SALT (as in pounds of it), gobs of butter, and fried everything...a very little bit of the food goes a long way.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:39 AM

9,856 posts, read 23,030,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by By~Tor View Post
I'm originally FROM Dallas.....

I lived in NYC 4 years, and ate at the "Dallas BBQ" in Manhattan....

It's neither good, nor Texan, in taste.... yet another cheap ripoff of what they think people will be able to stomach....

Unfortunately, there IS NO GOOD AUTHENTIC TEXAS-STYLE BAR-BE-QUE anywhere in New York, although Bronxites will flock to this garbage anyway, and THINK they are eating Texas BBQ......

NOTE: "Sylvai's" in Harlem is a MUCH better representation of down-home Texas food (including BBQ) than anything else currently available in NYC....
People don't really think they are getting authentic Southern BBQ when they go to Dallas BBQ's. New Yorker's aren't dumb and have a higher "culinary IQ" than most people in the U.S. It's a cheap chain restaurant, that gives you a lot of food and huge drinks. That's their gimmick and they do it well.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:57 AM

8,749 posts, read 16,699,774 times
True dat NYer

Old 09-29-2008, 03:11 PM

3,529 posts, read 6,649,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Capo* View Post
Dallas BBQ is pretty awful IMO. I remember eating at one somewhere uptown years ago, and in '06 ate at the one on 42nd St. the first weekend it was open. The waitress was very ghetto and unprofessional, and tried shooing us out because it was around closing time, even though there were other people still eating too. I found out we were her last table and her ghetto pack of hoodrat friends showed up and were freeloading at another booth (not ordering or spending money) and yapping with her. I will never go to a Dallas BBQ again, due to its taste and the awful experience with a ghetto old waitress.
The only one I don't like is the one in Downtown Brooklyn. Their chicken wings were not very much done. Otherwise, all of the BBQ's are pretty good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City