U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2008, 10:18 AM

7 posts, read 22,279 times

Advertisements

I agree...no one goes to BBQ expecting a 5 star, authentic, Texas BBQ dining experience. The food and drinks are inexpensive and the locations are usually big enough for you to get groups of people together to hang out and catch up. Its good that the Bronx is finally getting some more options.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 07:44 PM

803 posts, read 2,764,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
By~Tor that is a very poor statement. I can use the same argument about food in Dallas....NO GOOD PIZZA, for example..yet Dallas-ites (or whatever you call yourselves) flock to the Papa John's/Pizza Hut/Dominos garbage and eat it up like it was free and the best thing since sliced bread. What exactly is the point of your statement? To be rude to Bronxites...or a general distaste for NY? People just want more amenities, just like the 5,000 McDonald's/Applebees/Chilis/Olive Garden middle America chains that dominate areas like Dallas. Why would anyone want that garbage food in Dallas? As for Sylvia's...that place was in its hayday 15 years ago..I would not recommend the place now at all.If you go...make sure to note that the place is VERY HIGH SALT (as in pounds of it), gobs of butter, and fried everything...a very little bit of the food goes a long way.

Actually, in Dallas, they flock to Mazio's pizza, which is VERY decent, although certainly not "New York Style".....

I think my comment was fair, though, on the BBQ... it's definitely NOT "fast food" in any way....

Now, if Arthur Bryant's, gates or even Tolbert's would open up a shack in the Big Apple, you guys would get to experience a REEEEEEAL treat!!!!

Old 02-19-2009, 09:50 AM

1 posts, read 3,070 times
Hay, i love dallas bbq's, i just wish they will put one in ct. So that i don't have to come down to the bx, but i will take my ride for the honey glazed chicken it is the best in my opinion. Mary from bridgeport ct.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:03 AM

9,856 posts, read 23,037,769 times
Has it opened yet? Last time I was around there it was still closed. My sis and I were hanging out and we were driving around looking for a place to eat, we drove by there and it was still closed.

I happen to live nearby but the area where they are putting it is right by the deegan. Not a heavy foot-traffic area. Interesting choice. Not the first choice I would have made. But I guess the figure with all the people that drive through there, a lot of people will stop to get something to eat.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:05 AM

731 posts, read 1,888,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Has it opened yet? Last time I was around there it was still closed. My sis and I were hanging out and we were driving around looking for a place to eat, we drove by there and it was still closed.

I happen to live nearby but the area where they are putting it is right by the deegan. Not a heavy foot-traffic area. Interesting choice. Not the first choice I would have made. But I guess the figure with all the people that drive through there, a lot of people will stop to get something to eat.
Very true. The Fordham-Deegan area is very congested, due to folks heading to the Deegan and to Upper Manhattan. The new BBQ would allow us Bronx folks to head to a restaurant that's in our own borough.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:26 PM

142 posts, read 479,553 times
Quote:
I found an NYT article on Fordham Place (the old Sears building). It mentions Target but in reference to the one in River Plaza in Marble Hill. According to the article the building will be used for Sears, other stores, and office space. They basically mention that with the success of the Target store it has encouraged other big-name retailers to seriously consider entering the Bronx.

According to the article it will break down like this, Sears in the basement, Walgreens on the ground floor (Nice!!, lol), and a Best Buy on the second floor. I guess that answers the question as to where Best Buy will be. I wasn't aware they were that far ahead with the project though (the best buy people were announcing a store opening for November). I'm going to pay more attention next time I'm around the plaza.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/11/re...gewanted=print
I walked past this building 2 days ago and it looks really nice. All the stores are up and running except for the office building next to it. It's a very tall building and looking up, it feels like somewhere in midtown.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:47 AM

504 posts, read 1,455,940 times
I thought they had one in the bronx on Fordham road.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2va76 View Post
I thought they had one in the bronx on Fordham road.
It just opened recently. The BBQ's. It's on Fordham Road right by the Deegan. Anybody gone yet? Is there parking?

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 03-27-2009 at 09:17 AM..

Old 03-27-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraider View Post
I walked past this building 2 days ago and it looks really nice. All the stores are up and running except for the office building next to it. It's a very tall building and looking up, it feels like somewhere in midtown.
I thought the Walgreens wasn't up but last time I was around there I found it. It's sort of in an odd spot. It's easy to miss it. But its there. They also opened up a 24/7 gym recently. I believe it's part of that same complex.

While we are on the topic some of the other recent business openings in the general Fordham area were a little underwhelming. lol. Where there used to be a Taco Bell in a prime spot right off the 4 train, they put up this scruffy looking Pharmacy. There is a Duane Reed and a Rite Aid right nearby plus several local pharmacies also near on the Concourse. It was an odd business choice and I don't see it lasting very long. It will probably eventually become some other fast food place or another clothing store. Across from there, they opened up a Twin Donut where a Mexican restaurant used to be. We all know the last thing the city needs is another Twin Donut. Twin Donuts make Dunkin seem fancy in comparison. I took these as a sign investors and potential business owners still don't really have a lot of faith in the area. But this also could have been affected by the recession.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 03-27-2009 at 09:23 AM..

Old 03-27-2009, 09:35 AM

731 posts, read 1,888,836 times
Quote:
I thought the Walgreens wasn't up but last time I was around there I found it. It's sort of in an odd spot. It's easy to miss it. But its there. They also opened up a 24/7 gym recently. I believe it's part of that same complex.

While we are on the topic some of the other recent business openings in the general Fordham area were a little underwhelming. lol. Where there used to be a Taco Bell in a prime spot right off the 4 train, they put up this scruffy looking Pharmacy. There is a Duane Reed and a Rite Aid right nearby plus several local pharmacies also near on the Concourse. It was an odd business choice and I don't see it lasting very long. It will probably eventually become some other fast food place or another clothing store. Across from there, they opened up a Twin Donut where a Mexican restaurant used to be. We all know the last thing the city needs is another Twin Donut. Twin Donuts make Dunkin seem fancy in comparison. I took these as a sign investors and potential business owners still don't really have a lot of faith in the area. But this also could have been affected by the recession.
Remember, the pharmacies on the Concourse are a long uphill climb from Fordham Plaza (especially if you're coming from the Bx15, 17, 41, or 55 buses). Nowadays, the Fordham Place can make it easier for these people to shop without having to walk up the hill along Fordham Road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City