Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2007, 05:15 PM

52 posts, read 229,860 times

Advertisements

I've heard about the 45x income rule for renting most places in NYC. Do they take into account bonus in that calculation? Obviously, no bonus is guaranteed, but if you have a standard range will they include it?

I have a job offer that would pay $95K salary plus up to 15% bonus. Any ideas on what types of places I'll find in Murray Hill/UES for this price range? I know I could move most other places and live pretty well on this salary, but I suspect that this might not be the case in NYC.

I'm trying to figure this out before I accept and any input would be useful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2007, 05:22 PM

500 posts, read 2,859,145 times
You gotta be kidding me. You're going to earn $100,000+ and you worry about renting in Manhattan? You're obviously fine. You could pay $2000-$2200 a month and be OK.

Too bad the areas you've chosen are among the most unremarkable and boring of all of Manhattan (Murray Hill and UES: sports bars, residential towers, out-of-towners, young college kids and that's about it).

Old 02-04-2007, 05:30 PM

I've chosen those areas b/c they'd be an easy commute to work, not because they're the areas I'd like to live in. I just want to make sure that I won't be living in a 200 square foot studio infested with rodents, when I could make the same salary in another major city and live very well. I like NYC but don't feel compelled to live there if I can't live comfortably...I'm in my early 30s and over the club and bar scene and that sort of thing.

If anyone else has more helpful information about the type of place I can rent in Manhattan on that income, I'd appreciate it.

Old 02-04-2007, 05:39 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,111,105 times
I don't know what the prices are for apartments in Murray Hill these days, but of the two neighbourhoods you name, the Hill would be my choice.

The only limitation may be local shopping as only a few of the Avenues have neighbourhood grocery stores and other conveniences (near 34th Street, and on Lexington Avenue).

But, when I lived in the Hill (34th & Park) I loved it and enjoyed the vitality of walking into Herald Square.

The UES is also more diverse than is represented generally. Each 5 or 6 city streets can be different, some more vital than others. The 60s are more expensive but the proximity makes them more interesting to working and working nearby. I'd check around Rockefeller University (around 65-70th Streets).

Quote:
Originally Posted by im2005 View Post
I've chosen those areas b/c they'd be an easy commute to work, not because they're the areas I'd like to live in. I just want to make sure that I won't be living in a 200 square foot studio infested with rodents, when I could make the same salary in another major city and live very well. I like NYC but don't feel compelled to live there if I can't live comfortably...I'm in my early 30s and over the club and bar scene and that sort of thing.

If anyone else has more helpful information about the type of place I can rent in Manhattan on that income, I'd appreciate it.

Old 02-04-2007, 05:47 PM

Thank you for your help!

Old 02-20-2007, 11:22 AM

1 posts, read 4,027 times
Default Current Manhattan Rental Prices

To give you an even clearer understanding of what you can afford click the link which provides up-to-date, accurate average rental prices broken down by neighborhood, apartment size and doorman vs. non-doorman.

http://www.tregny.com/manhattan-apt-rental-report.jsp

I hope that helps. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City