Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 01:24 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,488,366 times

Advertisements

Is anyone out there familiar with Ridgewood Queens ?

It appears it is on the upswing, but can anyone else verify?

There are lots of various Eastern European groups are settling in Ridgewood. The area seems to be more and more Euro-middle-class and less working class. I've also noticed more new businesses, renovated homes and new construction in the area. Not exactly gentrifying, at least not yet, but may have the potential to become more upscale then it is now. Home prices are quite high as are rents.

A second question has to do with Bushwick. If Ridgewood is on the upswing and Wiliamsburg and Greenpoint already gentrifying what does the future hold for Bushwick which is between the two areas. Will this upswing flow over into Bushwick?

Is Bushwick going to get better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 01:49 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,553,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
A second question has to do with Bushwick. If Ridgewood is on the upswing and Wiliamsburg and Greenpoint already gentrifying what does the future hold for Bushwick which is between the two areas. Will this upswing flow over into Bushwick?

Is Bushwick going to get better?
Portions of Bushwick have been semi-gentrified for the past few years already. The closer you are to Williamsburg in Bushwick, the more you'll see gentrification. The closer you get to the northeastern section of Bed-Stuy or East New York, it's arguably "non-existent".

Old 09-07-2008, 03:08 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,335,406 times
Ridgewood is fine the way it is

It was never a shady place to begin with

the Eastern Euros are the same as the previous dwellers, working class

Working class can also be middle class

i just went to the italian festival on fresh pond rd, it is cheap rents and classy ethnic NYC nabe

we need more places like this one

Old 09-07-2008, 03:55 PM

467 posts, read 1,684,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
Ridgewood is fine the way it is

It was never a shady place to begin with

the Eastern Euros are the same as the previous dwellers, working class

Working class can also be middle class

i just went to the italian festival on fresh pond rd, it is cheap rents and classy ethnic NYC nabe

we need more places like this one

I agree.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:15 PM

718 posts, read 2,325,345 times
why is it that everything is seen as needing to be gentrified? Seriously, to all you newcomer resident types, do you really have a problem with plain old working class communities in the outer boroughs? Does everything have to be the next Williamsburg, Park Slope or Soho, and have an influx of sushi fusion joints and cliche coffee houses? We have enough yuppy and hipster neighborhoods in NY...why dont you people go gentrify Detroit, a city that could probably actually use it.

Ridgewood is fine as is, and thank you NJ Chutzpah and Jax for not being clueless like many on this forum

Old 09-07-2008, 09:42 PM

the op probably thought the place was a bit rough

I can understand why new comers would think this

I mean this city's is famous because of the rough and tumble

people only had fascinations with our ethnic nabes because of the crooks they put out, and the dramas that took place

Old 09-07-2008, 10:18 PM

718 posts, read 2,325,345 times
but why should newcomers pass judgment on something they dont know about. Ridgewood isnt exactly the gutter

Old 09-08-2008, 06:47 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post
why is it that everything is seen as needing to be gentrified? Seriously, to all you newcomer resident types, do you really have a problem with plain old working class communities in the outer boroughs? Does everything have to be the next Williamsburg, Park Slope or Soho, and have an influx of sushi fusion joints and cliche coffee houses? We have enough yuppy and hipster neighborhoods in NY...why dont you people go gentrify Detroit, a city that could probably actually use it.

Ridgewood is fine as is, and thank you NJ Chutzpah and Jax for not being clueless like many on this forum
Southern Brooklyn and most all of Queens seems to fit this mold. The majority of the gentrification is aimed directly at the ghetto (Central Brooklyn and Harlem), and frankly, I won't be sorry to see it go. I wouldn't fret over the loss of working class hoods...

Old 09-08-2008, 08:18 AM

235 posts, read 1,085,795 times
Quote:
why dont you people go gentrify detroit, a city that could probably actually use it.
rotflmao!!!!!

Old 09-08-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Southern Brooklyn and most all of Queens seems to fit this mold. The majority of the gentrification is aimed directly at the ghetto (Central Brooklyn and Harlem), and frankly, I won't be sorry to see it go. I wouldn't fret over the loss of working class hoods...
Working class is not the hood

working class, blue collar and middle class are synonymous

well I guess there is no more middle class, it is just upper, and lower from now on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City