Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 10:25 AM

55 posts, read 195,167 times

Advertisements

i keep hearing references to the "artistic community" in East Williamsburg, etc etc and all the cool coffee shops and art galleries it has, how lots of stuff is centered around the Morgan L stop, or at least between Montrose and Morgan, blah blah

but as I Google Map around, all i see are graffiti-ed up empty looking warehouses, huge stretches of nothingness, and every once in a while a business or something.

I'm seriously considering moving to the area, as a cheaper substitute to Greenpoint (is that even realistic?) but where the hell exactly are the "cool" areas of this "neighborhood" called loosely East Williamsburg? it seems to me like getting a place on the wrong street and you would be completley isolated and surrounded by nothing but blank buildings.

where does everyone live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 10:28 AM

50 posts, read 132,309 times
I think you should go there and have dinner at night then walk around for a bit.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:34 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,011,907 times
these places are both in East Williamsburg.

About - 3rd Ward Brooklyn (http://www.3rdward.com/about - broken link)

NURTUREart Non-Profit, Inc.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:45 AM

so am i right in saying everything is basically kind of located in little pockets?

for instance, i see Brooklyn Natural (looks like a good store, fresh stuff), the Archive (for me, the perfect spot b/c movies and coffee in the same location) and places like that but they are all on the same street, with virtually nothing else around them?

i've heard good coffee on McKibben too, but can't find antyhing and Google Map doesn't even go on that street.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:48 AM

50 posts, read 132,309 times
Areas change very fast and Google might be out of date. I was in this area on Sunday and it looked pretty nice-- but you need to look at it, block by block to tell if it's your speed or not.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:04 AM

1,121 posts, read 6,536,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden67 View Post
so am i right in saying everything is basically kind of located in little pockets?
Yes you are. It's not like the North Side where every other shop/store/whatever suits your flavor.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:23 AM

right on.
parts of it look pretty kick ass, parts of it just look like a wasteland. i'm just wondering how much affordable housing is in the nice pockets.

what would you say the easiest way to search the area on Craigslist would be? there's a ton of stuff thats labeled "East Williamsburg" that is all over the map, and other stuff labeled Bushwick, basically it seems like they are one in the same, so i could narrow my search by using "Morgan" as a search word perhaps?

i'm moving from out of state, so the more i can narrow by Craigslist, the better.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:37 PM

650 posts, read 2,508,183 times
I have walked around the Morgan stop, I think its pretty much Bushwick at that point. It was kind of desolate.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:28 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,835,652 times
Isn't East Williamsburg a term coined by the real estate industry because it is really Bushwick?

Old 09-09-2008, 01:33 PM

thats what i thought it was, anyways, which is why i keep referring to "East Williamsburg" in quotes.

i guess all these "young artist and music types" i keep hearing about living in E Wburg must all be living in McKibben Lofts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City