Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2009, 02:57 PM

360 posts, read 734,752 times

Advertisements

Hey guys ... This is letter from commish...about the extending of the list ... This is the info straight from the letter...
Inquiry on extension of lists, Sanitation Worker, Exam No. 6063, List No. 1450,
​ * * *and Firefighter, *Exam No. 6019, List No. 11087
​ *Your E-mail to the Mayor’s Office dated November 13, 2009 concerning the above subject has been referred to our agency for reply.

​ * Please be advised that the duration of lists is governed by statute and expires by operation of law. *Rule 4.6.6 of the Personnel Rules and Regulations of the City of New York and Section 56 of the Civil Service Law provide that the duration of either an open competitive or promotion eligible list shall be not less than one not more than four years from the date of establishment. *In that the above captioned lists were established on February 20, 2008 and June 11, 2008, respectively, the last dates that they may remain active are February 10, 2012 and June 11, 2012 in that order.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:12 PM

156 posts, read 369,566 times
according to the news, DSNY and the rest of the uniformed forces have to reduce their budgets by 2% for this year, and by 4% for the next fiscal year

it also said that Bloomberg is banking on savings from the creation of a new pension tier for municipal employees (Tier 5?), and that he is negotiating with union leaders to require employees to contribute 10% to our health insurance plans

here's the updated article...

Bloomberg: Layoffs may be needed to trim budget

"Does it mean layoffs?" he asked. "I hope not, but we'll just see how cooperative everyone will be," referring to unions. "There are very few places you can go and say there is money we can easily cut -- unless you talk about personnel."

Old 11-17-2009, 02:53 PM

372 posts, read 828,718 times
well i doubt we will cave into the health insurance, there are more unions in the city then ours so maybe he will get it out of them.. as far as layoffs for DSNY if they occur it wont be till after night plow i would assume, and i believe that tier 5 will happen just means when but i heard harry is really against it so we will c....give the tier5 and give a 5 percent raise lol

Old 11-17-2009, 02:55 PM

372 posts, read 828,718 times
im lucky if i bring home half of what i make a week thats with 8% pension, union dues taxes medicare SS( that i prb wont c when i retire)and my 5% 457 and then they want 10% on benefits and then next contract it will be 12 and then 15 and then 20....cant cave into health insurance lets hope they dont pass this health bill its terrible...

Old 11-17-2009, 03:09 PM

200 posts, read 575,630 times
When Harry was talking to us all at Q10 garage he said that "the 20 year pension is gone". Those words make me believe that the union will negotiate with the tier 5 but not the health benefits. I think they would rather see layoffs than pay more for the health benefits because we can always get those people hired back on but once you start paying more into the health benefits you cant go back.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:46 PM

156 posts, read 369,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yearman View Post
When Harry was talking to us all at Q10 garage he said that "the 20 year pension is gone". Those words make me believe that the union will negotiate with the tier 5 but not the health benefits. I think they would rather see layoffs than pay more for the health benefits because we can always get those people hired back on but once you start paying more into the health benefits you cant go back.
I've said it multiple times on this forum, a shop steward family friend has been telling me for months that the city will not hire another sanitation worker until there's a new pension tier...looks like that might turn out to be true

but then again, it's interesting that Nespoli told Q10 "the 20 year pension is gone", when just last week he told the Daily News he "can't see us giving up the 20 year pension for the type of work we do"...so did he say that to the media just to save face or put up a front?

I also agree that I think the union would allow layoffs to happen before they give in on 10% of health care costs...maybe this is why Nespoli supposedly made those "if there's layoffs in the spring at least the new guys will be off probation" comments...like you said, it would set a dangerous precedent for us to give in...once you give that 10%, there's no going back, and who's to say they will never ask for more...but I guess we'll see what happens with all the unions

Old 11-17-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illmatic View Post
I've said it multiple times on this forum, a shop steward family friend has been telling me for months that the city will not hire another sanitation worker until there's a new pension tier...looks like that might turn out to be true

but then again, it's interesting that Nespoli told Q10 "the 20 year pension is gone", when just last week he told the Daily News he "can't see us giving up the 20 year pension for the type of work we do"...so did he say that to the media just to save face or put up a front?

I also agree that I think the union would allow layoffs to happen before they give in on 10% of health care costs...maybe this is why Nespoli supposedly made those "if there's layoffs in the spring at least the new guys will be off probation" comments...like you said, it would set a dangerous precedent for us to give in...once you give that 10%, there's no going back, and who's to say they will never ask for more...but I guess we'll see what happens with all the unions
I misspoke, I meant when we were at Q12 when Harry spoke to us all (Q8, Q10 and Q12). As far as the "can't see us giving up the 20 year pension for the type of work we do" comment Harry made, I think it was a way of Harry saying you need to give us a lot if you want us to accept a 25 year pension.
Its easy to read between the lines with every comment made by the union.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:45 PM

192 posts, read 400,586 times
My thinking tells me they are going to look toward the teacher's last contract for a pattern. The UFT basically sold out the unborn and put the weight of their "new pension tier" on the new hire's back.

New teachers have to pay 4.85% for LIFE to retire at 55/27. Previously Tier 4 teachers only paid 3% for the first 10 years. They gave up a few other things also.

Point is that we might be able to keep the 20 but at a price. This would be an ideal time in my opinion to bring the Variable Supplement back up. If Harry does not agree to us paying more... we already pay more than anybody,... then maybe a reduced pension package (No O.T. in calculation) would not look so bad with the variable thrown in. Of course everybody currently on the job would have to get it....

That's when everybody starts jumpin' in the locker rooms.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:06 PM

360 posts, read 734,752 times
So pretty much if there are going to be layoffs .. 6060 list is dead ... Cause after 4 years and experation date the list is finished.. And after all said and done .. Paying for medical (10%) even .. The future of the job is all up in the air... Your talking alot of sacrifes...besides the budget on reason no hiring in all departments .. There must be somethin planned .. That hasent come out of the vines yet.. Still everyone had great posts .. Guess just a wait and see and hope.....

Old 11-18-2009, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FULLTRUCK View Post
My thinking tells me they are going to look toward the teacher's last contract for a pattern. The UFT basically sold out the unborn and put the weight of their "new pension tier" on the new hire's back.

New teachers have to pay 4.85% for LIFE to retire at 55/27. Previously Tier 4 teachers only paid 3% for the first 10 years. They gave up a few other things also.

Point is that we might be able to keep the 20 but at a price. This would be an ideal time in my opinion to bring the Variable Supplement back up. If Harry does not agree to us paying more... we already pay more than anybody,... then maybe a reduced pension package (No O.T. in calculation) would not look so bad with the variable thrown in. Of course everybody currently on the job would have to get it....

That's when everybody starts jumpin' in the locker rooms.
A reduced pension w/o O.T. for the V.S. would be horrible. Its hard enough now to retire on the pension numbers I've seen and the V.S. is not guaranteed to be there every year. I see a lot of really young people coming on the job and a 25 year pension wouldn't be the worst thing to happen to this job if it meant keeping everything we have now. A lot of people go over there 20 anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City