Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2009, 01:41 PM

200 posts, read 576,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingcals View Post
heard maybe january some of has mite be gone.. I thought HARRY said no LAYOFFSS what so ever this should be fun to see.. if we get laid off i will never trust this UNION I hate to be lied to and kept in the dark they should be honest.... very shady people...
I don't know who told you Harry said no layoffs but you were misinformed. Your shop stewards are keeping you in the dark and not doing their jobs. He said he would rather have layoffs than start paying more for health benefits because you will never go back. He never said there wouldn't be layoffs. Stop bashing your union. They have done a lot for this job and take very good care of you and your family.
My old posts:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yearman View Post
I spoke to a guy from the Bronx the other day and he said he knows a guy that said Harry had lunch with some people and that there is a very good possibility for layoffs in the spring. I know its a lot of he said, he said hearsay but it make you think about the way things are going. So all you guys ( especially junior ones) that are running up routes and dumping on shift, I would like to bid you all a farewell and good luck. You junior guys are going to be on unemployment and the ones that don't get laid off will be working even harder with less. I hope you junior guys have a back up plan for employment and everyone talking about getting hired soon, forget about it. Its not going to happen anytime soon.

He also said Harry said that layoffs in the spring is better than now because it gets the junior guys off probation and they wont have to come back in the new tier 5 when they get called back. Yes I said the new tier 5. Its coming for all new personnel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yearman View Post
When Harry was talking to us all at Q10 garage he said that "the 20 year pension is gone". Those words make me believe that the union will negotiate with the tier 5 but not the health benefits. I think they would rather see layoffs than pay more for the health benefits because we can always get those people hired back on but once you start paying more into the health benefits you cant go back.

Old 11-25-2009, 02:19 PM

389 posts, read 774,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnikk View Post
Sanit has recently promoted a few 1 star chiefs, 2 star chiefs, 3 star chiefs... but with less s/w around, what nonsense title are they given? "Chief of Shovel Inspection" sweet gig!
Exactly, there are less of us SW's who they are not currently replacing, so whats the need replace 'top peeps' when they have less to oversee? Why should they replace a chief who retires - they can simply consolidate his duties into another's or promote and not replace the promotee.
Like the guys who focus on snow ALL YEAR?? Or a single DC to oversee a super-district? Isn't that a super's job....to oversee a district?
Lots of redundancy, just like in Transit. Much worse over there.

Old 11-28-2009, 02:07 PM

46 posts, read 90,320 times
My concern is Tier 5. I mean I don't want to come back on under a new Tier especially when I've worked almost a year and half through probation under Tier 4.

If DSNY and NYC has layoffs before our probation is up, I will be shocked. Because That would mean they were laying us off in the middle of night plow and if that's the case, hopefully the heavens would open up and a blizzard hits NYC. This way they can freak out and begin calling us back the next day to begin snow removal operations.

This agency is running with minimal fat right now and I do think that the Men and Women of the department and brotherhood of 831 need to slow down. Not saying not to do our job, but take your time, pre-trip your truck, get that broom and shovel out and sweep those corner caps, make the city and it's citizens appreciate what we do.

But if we keep riding our basket routes and dumping baskets but failing to pick up the few specs of litter around the baskets and just keep going on our way in a rush, we are going to run ourselves right out of a job.

All the guys who are losing their perks (the side deals that were made with their commanding officers) should be the first to wake up and band together and take their time and work like gentlemen and do the best job we can do while we still have a job.

Old 11-28-2009, 02:56 PM

121 posts, read 249,882 times
I think Bloomberg will force the issue with unions and impose Tier 5 at all costs. We are not going to get much sympathy from the general public,in my opinion. I hate to say it,but most people either dont care about us or dont really like us. They want to wake up in the morning,head off to work or whereever and see the garbage gone and the streets clear. I dont think many sanworkers care either. I see lots of us,and Im guilty too,leaving little messes behind at stops. We sometimes block traffic when it really isnt necessary. Some of us get upset when we find out that this is an eight hour job and it imposes on our plans for the day. Maybe if we took some pride in doing the best job we could,and took more time improving our relations with the people we serve,we would get a loud public outcry at any changes to what we have already. The union cant help with that. They arent the ones making the mess or blocking the traffic. We need to stop being our own worst enemy.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:20 PM

192 posts, read 401,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYSICandidate View Post

But if we keep riding our basket routes and dumping baskets but failing to pick up the few specs of litter around the baskets and just keep going on our way in a rush, we are going to run ourselves right out of a job.

I don't know if you realize it but management does not want you to clean up the corner. The oversight "buck" stops with them. They need to call a basket route clean. In fact, they will call it clean whether you do clean it or not! They would rather take the chance that nobody realizes that it hasn't been finished than call the work out. It's a complaint either way so they might as well take their chances.

If your working a holiday or sunday basket route recently you have probably witnessed pretty lengthy routes.

You do not have to finish a basket route. If more guys would realize this we could show the desperate need for more sanmen. Maybe then we could clean some of the most atrocious corners on the route, sickening high-ends.

If you can't figure this out for yourselves then there is no hope for ya anyways...

Where have all the men gone??

Old 11-29-2009, 06:37 AM

233 posts, read 535,230 times
if your name is spelled wrong on a complaint, that will get dismissed, right? its a technicality. show up at trials and say you were given this letter and this is not me, its not my name!!!! criminals get out under the same circumstances.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:33 AM

192 posts, read 401,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnikk View Post
if your name is spelled wrong on a complaint, that will get dismissed, right? its a technicality. show up at trials and say you were given this letter and this is not me, its not my name!!!! criminals get out under the same circumstances.
I've heard of them re-issuing it... but it's worth a try..

Old 11-29-2009, 09:16 AM

876 posts, read 2,142,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FULLTRUCK View Post
I don't know if you realize it but management does not want you to clean up the corner. The oversight "buck" stops with them. They need to call a basket route clean. In fact, they will call it clean whether you do clean it or not! They would rather take the chance that nobody realizes that it hasn't been finished than call the work out. It's a complaint either way so they might as well take their chances.

If your working a holiday or sunday basket route recently you have probably witnessed pretty lengthy routes.

You do not have to finish a basket route. If more guys would realize this we could show the desperate need for more sanmen. Maybe then we could clean some of the most atrocious corners on the route, sickening high-ends.

If you can't figure this out for yourselves then there is no hope for ya anyways...

Where have all the men gone??
Well it is all about getting the route up and coming in early. Nothing is free and the senior men dont care because they are gone soon, the junior men are scared and dont understand. You must understand the kind of men that become sanitation workers most dont have any education and many this is their first job. All these people are the right here and now. I dont want to be specific but in my district the junior guys are the ones doing the most. They are running their jobs away.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:42 AM

22 posts, read 25,432 times
does any one know when tranfers will go in

Old 11-29-2009, 10:02 AM

372 posts, read 830,116 times
i did sundays baskets once they gave us a huge route covring 3 or 4 districts with bout 30 lines we did 3 lol prb the 3 worst lines ever lol drop offs every corner and sweeping every high end...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City