Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2010, 03:00 PM

233 posts, read 535,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yearman View Post
Page 24 in your contract book. "In the event a truck is replaced in the field for reasons other than a breakdown, an Employee assigned to such replacement truck will receive a 10 minute rest period." So if you were to down that truck Sputnikk you would not have been entitled to a 10 minute break.

i never noticed any problem with the truck. no hydr leak any way. truck dumped perfect each time. i dumped trucks with low hydr fluid and i heard the pump making funky noises, tailgate wont go all the way up, blade cant make it all the way out. personally, it was the 1st time i had this situation, and now i know how to handle it for next time. i learn something new about the job just about every day.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:17 PM

200 posts, read 576,759 times
Just when you think you got it all figured out the dept throws you for a loop. 20 yrs on the job and I'm still learning things. Keep your head up, move foward and take no crap.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:25 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,059,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxredneck View Post
hey all, dont mean to hijack a discussion in progress, but I have a question ( I have searched and found nothing)..... I am in the low 900's, after taking the test I went through a whole country song of crap( got laid off,got divorced, lost my dog, and my pickup truck and my house to the ex), ended up moving out of state, missed my date for the physical and dont have any of my notices. If i call the automated line my name is still on the list, but considered not qualifiedfor certification....is there any way to get my number back to active and get caught up with the physical and whatnot...I have tried calling dcas but after 2 hours on hold a few times over i gave up....any help would be great. Thanks.

I am looking at my DSNY physical notice and it says:

"If you cannot attend before November 15,2008,you must write to the following address to be considered for a reschedule to the next round of testing for Exam No.6063."

DCAS Sanitation Worker Physical
1 Centre Street,14th Floor
New York,NY 10007

There is also a phone number listed. 718-786-2701.

The problem for you is that there isn't going to be any more rounds of physical testing from this exam.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:42 PM

243 posts, read 681,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
I am looking at my DSNY physical notice and it says:

"If you cannot attend before November 15,2008,you must write to the following address to be considered for a reschedule to the next round of testing for Exam No.6063."

DCAS Sanitation Worker Physical
1 Centre Street,14th Floor
New York,NY 10007

There is also a phone number listed. 718-786-2701.

The problem for you is that there isn't going to be any more rounds of physical testing from this exam.
sounds about right

Old 01-18-2010, 02:43 PM

18 posts, read 33,414 times
Summer 2010 - getting closer everyday. Im feeling a class this summer of at least 100 , after all DSNY is going on two years without hiring. stay positive

Old 01-18-2010, 04:02 PM

372 posts, read 829,971 times
yeh i mean we are going on 2 years with no classes... I know we are under headcount(plus they took 52 vacay picks away this year cuz were under in our garage from when i first started)......so I believe between spring and next night plow we will see some classes... were under now and 89-90 were huge classes with many guys waiting to go.. im my garage alone 17 out of like 91 can go as of today....but be careful this job is changing everyday from bosses with no experience and daily things changing....would def. take NYPD OR FDNY if you can in my very short time on the job i have seen some changes for the worst and i believe they will only get worse...

Old 01-18-2010, 05:03 PM

156 posts, read 370,063 times
quick question, maybe someone who posts here knows about this:

I know we are under guys right now, but is it set in stone that we have to eventually get back to the pre-economic crash DSNY headcount number? or is the headcount number an arbitrary figure that fluctuates over time depending on different factors (needs of the dept., the economy, the budget, etc.)?

example: at one point back in the late 90's or early 2000's, NYPD headcount was 40,000+, but now it's at somewhere around 35,000 (I think)...over time, the current 35,000 became the "new" NYPD headcount..they never replaced those thousands of jobs

what I'm saying is, is it possible that the city/DSNY management could decide that they don't need to get back to the old headcount? that they could still eventually hire, but still "do more with less"? I'll never forget this quote FULLTRUCK posted last year: "Doherty told Harry that he could run the dept. with 3,400 men."

not saying it would ever come to that extreme, but it gave a clear view to what he really thinks about us and the job we do...so with that said, I was just wondering what the chances are that we will ever see the headcount approach '05/'06/'07/'08 levels again

Old 01-18-2010, 05:30 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,059,811 times
I believe Doherty said that to Bloomberg before he got reelected. I don't think he really meant that though. Would they really prefer to pay OT galore rather then hire new sanworkers? From where the dept is now it would take at least 8 yrs to reach that 3,400 headcount.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:11 PM

156 posts, read 370,063 times
according to a FULLTRUCK post from last year, that was a direct quote from Doherty to Nespoli, not Bloomberg...and I highly doubt Doherty meant the 3,400 number literally, I think it was more of a warning/threat, basically Doherty saying he could run the department and do the same job that we do now with even less guys than we have now...which is why I said, it just goes to show what he really thinks of us and the work we do

I also brought that up just to ask if it's for certain we'll even get back to the old (all-time 2 man truck high?) headcount number that we had before they stopped hiring...it's obvious that Doherty isn't exactly clamoring for new guys...we are definitely under, but that is based on a headcount number that might not be applicable anymore...what if DSNY decides to stick with a new lower overall headcount number? NYPD did it, going from 40,000+ during better economic times, to the current 35,000 or so

all I'm saying is that we're all playing the numbers game based on being under the previous DSNY headcount number...but will we ever get back to that number? is that number still the benchmark? or will they decide not to replace those jobs and slowly lower the headcount like they did with NYPD over the past decade? maybe someone here can inform us

Old 01-18-2010, 07:01 PM

192 posts, read 401,206 times
They can do whatever they see fit. Yet it must be for "just reasons". The union seems to have reserved the right for an explanation/investigation when the city decides to lower the headcount. However, all of this gets decided in concert with the city at large (city council, mayor, comptroller, etc..).

When the department began the 2 man truck program the union faced a drastic cut in it's membership.

The City within the context of it's FISCAL CONDITION will seek to maintain an adequate workforce for purposes of cleaning and collection. The City will meet and discuss with the Union when the NET UNIFORM ATTRITION of Sanmen engaged in cleaning and collection in the DSNY is anticipated to be more than the citywide average in any fiscal year. Such discussions will include an explanation of the reasons for such action, an examination of the workload impact on the remaining uniform workforce and possible alternative actions. Furthermore, thgere will be no layoffs at any time as a result of implementation of the extension of the two-worker truck program to the entire department.

This indicates the city's intent regarding cleaning and collection but does not over-ride any rights or liabilities already contained in contract or law.

Do not forget the Financial Emergency Act...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City