Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2010, 09:51 PM

372 posts, read 830,176 times

Advertisements

finish the basket route not even closeeee....

Old 04-10-2010, 05:57 AM

876 posts, read 2,142,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingcals View Post
finish the basket route not even closeeee....
Well then it makes sense that they would have to put the basket truck back on the days it should be. But then again dsny dont usually do what makes sense. I would love to know how it is in other districts with manpower. In my district this time last year we were almost always over now we are only over a 2 or 3 times a week. And when we are over it isnt by that much, maybe 3 or 4 people at most. The problem I see is that this year a lot retired from the class of 90. Was there a class in 91? If not I dont think they will have that many retire next year. Also for those who are doing 30 years the class of 81 will be gone next year.

Old 04-11-2010, 04:38 AM

156 posts, read 327,237 times
Only day we are over is Monday... The rest of the week we have OOTers.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:55 AM

53 posts, read 103,643 times
Class of Supervisors going in on Monday April 19th, 2010

Old 04-15-2010, 01:55 PM

233 posts, read 535,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCFrankC View Post
Class of Supervisors going in on Monday April 19th, 2010

finally.... I move up a spot now!!

Old 04-15-2010, 04:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,860 times
anyone out there who has opinions on whether taking the supervisor position thanks

Old 04-16-2010, 11:51 AM

57 posts, read 158,040 times
Been reading about the Post Office wanting to make mail collection Monday-Friday. Has that ever been discussed in Sanitation as a way to save money, cutting out Saturday & making collection M-F? Would it work?

Old 04-16-2010, 02:08 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,062,021 times
Default CDL Renewal problem.

Earlier today I went to the College Point DMV to renew my CDL B. After waiting for 45 minutes on the information/ticket line I was asked do I want to keep the same picture or get a new one, I answered get a new one, was told to wait on a different but shorter line.

The clerk asked me for my DOT Medical Card,I told him that I don't have one, it expired back in January. He then asks me if I work for the city or drive a school bus, I said no. He then says to me, oh so you want to downgrade? I said no, I told him that I don't need a CDL for my job right now but sometime in the future.

He insisted that I needed a DOT Medical Card to renew my CDL B, he gave me a form to take to my doctor, as angry as I was I took it and left. I needed to get out of there so I could cool off.

I know you don't need it for DSNY,same thing for the MTA since I am also on the bus operator list. I am going to renew my CDL by MAIL this time, on the form it asks a couple of questions about the medical certificate. When I got my CDL 2 years ago I was misled by the DMV and got my 2 year DOT Medical card which expired in January.

Looking back I should have answered yes I work for the city, what is he going to do? ask for an employee card? was he wrong about this or not? thanks

Old 04-16-2010, 02:21 PM

121 posts, read 249,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liljay1293 View Post
anyone out there who has opinions on whether taking the supervisor position thanks
We are all full of opinions. If you are in line to be promoted and are contemplating taking it,you need to ask yourself a few questions. Am I comfortable giving orders to sanitation workers? Sounds easy,but I dont think it is. Am I able to allow myself to be responsible for things that other people do or don't do? Say youre supervising 6 trucks, with 12 san workers and a mech broom, makes 13 S/Ws. MLP crew after they complete a half truck. Thats 15 S/Ws. That makes 15 people that can do or not do things to make your day interesting. Issuing summons to the public. Sounds easy,especially when youve picked up garbage and always wanted to issue summons' to certain people. In reality you have to issue a certain amount,and in some cases type, per day. And you'll encounter people that will challenge every single one you write. How much time do you have on the job? If you are within five years of your expected retirement date,you wont be at top pay as a supervisor. You might have to stay on the job longer than you planned to make it financially sound. Are you willing to go back to being on the bottom? Say you have steady routes or a tissue and need to keep a shift. You can expect to be bouncing around the clock again. Plus you are "on the clock" the entire shift.
On the plus side, you'll make more money in the long term. Between the salary and charts. Also, especially if youve been working on the truck,you'll spare your body. No more of those icy,cold rainy/sleety midnight shifts picking up garbage. Keep in mind though that seniority isnt quite the same as it is for san workers. You are at the mercy of the boro/command you are assigned to. And not to mention,the nepotism. It includes san workers and supervisors. People that have hooks will get whatever they want and will not suffer if they mess up. Seniority has little effect on these people. You'll notice a bit more at the supervisor level,and you dont really have much recourse.
Ive never been a supervisor. Not for me. Three ex-partners of mine took the badge and schooled me on the inner workings of the position. One threw it in,another is now a Super and another is a garage supv. None of them had any hooks to speak of. But they said if you do have any or are friendly with anyone with some rank,say a deputy chief or higher,then now would be the time to ask for the favor. Without any hooks,you'll end up far from home and probably on the opposite shift that you desire. Just the way it is. You can get to where you want to be without the hooks,but you'll likely spend a few years at least doing so. Hope Ive given you some things to consider. Good luck. And dont forget what it was like to be a s/w.

Old 04-16-2010, 03:37 PM

233 posts, read 535,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liljay1293 View Post

i would only take it if i had a good hook that could get me to a cushy spot. but since i know nobody, i pass 100%.

or if you like stress, paperwork, chiefs talking down to you, and the occasional sw argument...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City