Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 11:54 AM

348 posts, read 1,248,543 times

Advertisements

Also, check out Parkchester threads if the Bronx doesn't seem to overwhelming, despite those posts that would have you believe that all you will find is crime and poverty. Do a search here (there are several good threads) or check out the website www.parkchesternyc.com.

Wherever you end up - good luck! I wish you the best of luck. You sound like you are open-minded - you should have no problem here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 12:20 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCwoman View Post
Also, check out Parkchester threads if the Bronx doesn't seem to overwhelming, despite those posts that would have you believe that all you will find is crime and poverty. Do a search here (there are several good threads) or check out the website www.parkchesternyc.com.

Wherever you end up - good luck! I wish you the best of luck. You sound like you are open-minded - you should have no problem here!
That's true, Parkchester is an option, but I didn't know you could still get a 2BR for under $1500, that is a pretty good value.

One question to the OP, though, that I forgot to ask earlier? Do you need schools? If so, that might tend to narrow the list.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:21 PM

508 posts, read 2,119,746 times
Prices have come down some and so some 2brs for that amount may now be available. But usually those 2 bedroom apartments are smaller (if renovated) or are not renovated. They aren't usually in the most desirable areas or buildings of Harlem. Many of the buildings are walk ups if it is in a decent area and the apartments will be a small 2 bedroom, often dark. If it's larger or even renovated, the block or area may not be the best. But it is worth a try.

I have seen many studios and 1 bedrooms, the really good ones, going for 1400-1500 so that's why I didn't think there were any 2 bedrooms at that price. I did look on Craigslist though and saw some, but based on the pix and the area, I can tell you the above statement holds true.

As for JC it does have a weird rep but I think certain parts of it are rather nice. My friend loves it. She got a great deal on a 2 bedroom apartment and even has a view of the Manhattan skyline. She loves it and I've never heard her complain about her safety.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:33 PM

348 posts, read 1,248,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
That's true, Parkchester is an option, but I didn't know you could still get a 2BR for under $1500, that is a pretty good value.

One question to the OP, though, that I forgot to ask earlier? Do you need schools? If so, that might tend to narrow the list.
Yes, the Premier Collection 2-beds in Parkchester start at $1,600 so I am assuming the regular ones are a few hundred dollars cheaper. But yes, you are right - the necessity for good schools would narrow the list...

Old 09-10-2008, 03:57 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,574,534 times
Quote:

Elementary school, I have two young kids, the oldest is 4. I have heard some locations that have bad high schools have elementary schools that aren't that bad.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:07 PM

943 posts, read 4,258,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalove View Post
For the record $1500 in Harlem will only get you a studio or one bedroom. I'm not sure you can get a 2 BR in Wash Hts or Inwood either for that amount.

I would seriously consider NJ, places such as Jersey City and Union City. They are a lot closer to downtown Manhattan than some of the places mentioned in Brooklyn or Queens. A friend of mine got a great deal in Jersey City and has about a 15-20 minute commute into Manhattan. She's also about 2 blocks from the Path train.
Depends on what you look at as Harlem. If you believe in all the BS names they try to break Harlem into (hamilton heights?). You can get a 2 bedroom for $1500 above 135th street.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
Is that a good area of Harlem? I heard Harlem has some good areas, bad areas, and block to block areas. Is there a general good area and bad area of Harlem or is it too mixed to say?
Depends on what you consider good. Drug activity is all through Harlem. It is arguably the "hustle" capital of the city, but amazingly the drug activity does not lead to much violence. Harlem is not a very violent place in general. For me personally as long as you don't touch me or my family I am content (not happy) so I would say Harlem is safe.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:

"Classic" 2 bedrooms directly from the complex are $1300 - 1600 (there is an income requirement which can easily be exceeded by a couple making decent money, but of course if you put one person on the lease your fine) for the apts the waiting list is about a month or so. I think you may be thinking of the "premier apts". which will run a few hundred more. Of course you can always rent from the condo owners for a little less than the above stated prices.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
Elementary school, I have two young kids, the oldest is 4. I have heard some locations that have bad high schools have elementary schools that aren't that bad.
New York is unlike most cities where your child is zoned to a particular school. You have the opportunity to send your child where you please (in elementary school. They have to apply and be accepted to middle and high schools, but where you live is not an issue). I would suggest a charter school (begin the process ASAP they are in demand). Of course if you have the extra money catholicprivate would be best as its usually better to avoid sending your kids to school in any inner city at any grade level.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:34 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,574,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogplife View Post
New York is unlike most cities where your child is zoned to a particular school. You have the opportunity to send your child where you please (in elementary school. They have to apply and be accepted to middle and high schools, but where you live is not an issue). I would suggest a charter school (begin the process ASAP they are in demand). Of course if you have the extra money catholicprivate would be best as its usually better to avoid sending your kids to school in any inner city at any grade level.
Wow I didn't know that. That is odd I'm use to zoning restrictions, I guess that is a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City