Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2008, 10:27 AM

1 posts, read 3,730 times

Advertisements

I have lived in my apartment for about 3 months. About a week after move-in, I saw a mouse in my kitchen. I told the super immediately, who informed me that the exterminator comes on a specific day each month and that luckily he'd be coming the following week.

I called on the appropriate day to remind the super to have him exterminate (I work during the day and can't be there), only then he forgot to let the guy in. I asked if there was anything else we could do in the meantime (I'm horribly afraid of mice), and he said that he had already patched up all the holes in the apartment before we moved in, and promised to give us traps, which took three weeks to find their way under my door.

To make a long story short, the next month the exterminator sprayed ONLY 2 small areas of the kitchen (even though I had told the super several times that we were seeing mice in the bedrooms and living room), and this past month despite the exterminator supposedly spraying the whole place, we have already seen 3 mice in the week since he came. Throughout this time, I have told the super once or twice every week about the problem (it has forced me to keep a light on in my room 24-7 to try to deter mice from entering and has caused me to leave the city almost every weekend to catch up on the sleep I'm losing during the week), but each time he shoos me away and tells me he's done everything he could.

Finally this week, I decided to take matters into my own hands and began searching for holes. Immediately, I found 2 huge holes under the sink, making it obvious that the super has been lying all along about patching them up (and for all I know, about the exterminator coming as well).

Is there anything I can do about this? I hesitate being aggressive with him because this will give him more incentive not to help us. As I've indicated, the situation is making me pretty miserable and is costing a lot of money in electricity and travel. Sorry for the lengthy post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 10:35 AM

730 posts, read 2,887,072 times
OMG! I would move out if I had a mouse problem in a new apartment. Have you contact the property management company?

Old 09-10-2008, 10:38 AM

335 posts, read 1,112,907 times
call the management company.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:14 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,107 times
Patch the holes.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:39 AM

448 posts, read 1,587,583 times
you get useto it after a while. Im refering to the rat and the lying super of course.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:03 PM

34,001 posts, read 47,230,787 times
call 311, make a complaint, and they'll send an inspector from HPD to come out...if they find evidence of vermin they will issue a violation.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-12-2008, 02:07 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,667,981 times
To make a long story short, the next month the exterminator sprayed ONLY 2 small areas of the kitchen (even though I had told the super several times that we were seeing mice in the bedrooms and living room), and this past month despite the exterminator supposedly spraying the whole place, we have already seen 3 mice in the week since he came. Throughout this time, I have told the super once or twice every week about the problem (it has forced me to keep a light on in my room 24-7 to try to deter mice from entering and has caused me to leave the city almost every weekend to catch up on the sleep I'm losing during the week), but each time he shoos me away and tells me he's done everything he could.

Finally this week, I decided to take matters into my own hands and began searching for holes. Immediately, I found 2 huge holes under the sink, making it obvious that the super has been lying all along about patching them up (and for all I know, about the exterminator coming as well).

**I remember I developed a mouse problem in my old apt after living there 7 years. It took me from 1998 (when the problem began) to 2001 to know where they were actually coming from, the man made gap in the beam that connects the kitchen floor with the base of the kitchen cabinet, I saw a mouse jump into the gap. I just put in some stuff bought at a hardware store into the gap and it stopped. I too left my apt for an entire day that weekend the first time it happened and to this day I keep a light on in the kitchen (even tho I'm in another apartment bldg)

As you know you have to treat the cause itself. You don't want any mice dying in traps or from poison you can't easily reach later(and having to disconnect the stove to get to the trap) . Be aggressive with the super and tell him you want any and all holes in the kitchen plugged up and you may want to get a "pest contro" device (you plug it in by the appliances and it is supposed to give off a silent vibration that throws off the mice)

Old 10-04-2008, 09:37 PM

12 posts, read 42,587 times
Put all opened food packages in the refrigerator esp Cereals, Rice, Sugars, Grains. Plug all holes and areas around pipes with heavy duty steel wool. Don't leave any dirty dishes around. Keep an eye out for droppings in hidden areas and see if they lead to any points of entry. Get a cat. Good luck!

Old 10-05-2008, 08:36 AM

48 posts, read 159,167 times
Come on the answer to this is so easy:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City