Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 04:52 AM

348 posts, read 1,245,848 times

Advertisements

"What is the Absolute Worst Neighboorhood in NYC?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 06:00 AM

943 posts, read 4,250,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCwoman View Post
"What is the Absolute Worst Neighboorhood in NYC?"

I was actually agreeing with Shizzles comment (which led to Mario agreeing, then I agreed with him) about white people (women in particular) usually being the last person that someone in the hood is going to bother. It's not worth it. Most minorities won't report what happened(snithchin"?) and the likelyhood of the media getting involved when it is minority on minority is much lower. That is just my opinion (which I stand by), but where is the correlation to this hypothetical thread? You two were going back and forth on that thread. I don't have anything against you if that is what you think. Did I answer your question? I'm actually a little confused by the question.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:34 AM

1,278 posts, read 4,091,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogplife View Post
I was actually agreeing with Shizzles comment (which led to Mario agreeing, then I agreed with him) about white people (women in particular) usually being the last person that someone in the hood is going to bother. It's not worth it. Most minorities won't report what happened(snithchin"?) and the likelyhood of the media getting involved when it is minority on minority is much lower. That is just my opinion (which I stand by), but where is the correlation to this hypothetical thread? You two were going back and forth on that thread. I don't have anything against you if that is what you think. Did I answer your question? I'm actually a little confused by the question.
I agree with you about the snitchin thing, but I am not sure people in Harlem take in to account the media coverage when they decide whether or not to commit a crime.

But your right, crime happening in Harlem is not black on white, its black and hispanic on black and hispanic. Or at least all the crime I have seen on the news since I moved here has been that.

People fear the unknown, thats why they come on here ask questions like "I am white, what will happen if I move into Harlem?"

I think it sad they ask this, but I would be hypocritical if I were to say I wasn't a little nervous when I moved into Harlem. There is definitely a little tension b/t black and white but 99% of the people in Harlem are just trying to figure out life and are in no way concerned with attacking anyone.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:21 AM

348 posts, read 1,245,848 times
Sorry, ogplife - I guess I misunderstood your comment. Shizzles made a fairly rude remark about myself and other white people going into the Bronx being like clueless dilettants venturing into Africa with a patronizing, colonial attitude (or some such...whatever). That's what I thought SM (and then you, by extention) were agreeing with. I guess I just pegged you as the sort (and there are a few here) who are trying to frighten newbies (especially white newbies) out of the Bronx. I apologize if this isn't the case.

And there have been very thought provoking discussions here about all of the various implications (emotional, moral, economical, psychological, etc.) of "gentrification", revitalization and so forth. (But no, that very contentious debate between SM and myself was definitely not one of them).

Last edited by NYCwoman; 09-11-2008 at 07:31 AM..

Old 09-11-2008, 10:11 AM

9,929 posts, read 14,278,356 times
Quote:
What if they took one borough, lets say the Bronx and dedicated it solely for all the NYC projects and low income buildings (not moderate) with extremely heavy police presence. Then took another borough, say Queens and made it condusive only to middle class people, built apartments for moderate income people and made homes attractive to first time homebuyers. Then they made the rest of the city market rate (AKA for the rich). What would NYC be like? What would you think of this idea? Could this actually work?
Uh...no. Who in their right mind would do such a thing to a city? It's wrong, racist, and would be detrimental to any city. A vibrant, living city works due to the intermixing of rich & poor, all races, and all types of economic activity.

That idea sounds like the workings of a dictator's plan.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:13 PM

943 posts, read 4,250,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Uh...no. Who in their right mind would do such a thing to a city? It's wrong, racist, and would be detrimental to any city. A vibrant, living city works due to the intermixing of rich & poor, all races, and all types of economic activity.

That idea sounds like the workings of a dictator's plan.
This is not a thread about morality just a hypothetical question. Did you really say "due to the intermixing of rich and poor"?. Outside of the poor serving the rich when do the rich and poor intermix now? The city you described sounds terrific though.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:53 AM

217 posts, read 919,692 times
Those of use who live in those areas of Manhattan where "rich" and "poor" walk on the same streets do not recognize any such segregation. The retail clerks, the pizza guys, etc. they all have to live somewhere. And it ain't Joisey.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:57 AM

61,289 posts, read 87,208,860 times
Quote:
I think your being a bit dramatic. It is no secret crime rates are higher in low income neighborhoods. That is why I added the police part.
how is a response to a police state outline, drama queen behavior.
is this like where you solicite responses to a strange post and them whack them.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:12 AM

253 posts, read 1,304,443 times
As always, I think about the children. How would it benefit kids who are isolated to a "slum" neighborhood? They grow up with a comparable self-esteem. And those rich children? How would it benefit them? They grow up believing they are more deserving than everyone else.
Yes, this situation already exists in some areas, but at least it is not "forced".

Old 09-13-2008, 10:30 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,844,154 times
The idea of this thread is an ingenius way to get everyone to really think. There have been so many threads where it has been suggested that rent stabilization should be banned, and the pj's taken out of Manhattan totally, the good areas of other boros. The responses here tell what that may really be like.

Thanks ogplife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City