U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 10:51 PM

353 posts, read 1,218,188 times

Advertisements

(I don't know if this is a good thread for here or a TV thread, so if you mods think it's miscategorized, please move it!)

Since I did a response in another thread about the current season of Real World being filmed in Brooklyn (Red Hook), it brought to mind the other seasons that were filmed in NYC, the first (Soho) and tenth (Greenwich).

I am a huge fan of the first season (the tenth season, aka "Back to New York" was okay, but didn't have the feel of the original). It made NYC look like such a cool, interesting and diverse place, and I got some inspiration as to where to head on my NYC trips (though most of the places had closed or changed by the time I was able to travel solo in NYC). And it was good to see Julie, the fish out of water from Birmingham, AL, try to pursue her dance career while learning NYC and learning about herself. It was good to see NYC from an outsider's perspective.

What do you all think (NYC natives, newbies and visitors) about RW in NYC? Do you think it gave good perspectives about the city? And how do you feel about this new season filming in Brooklyn, if you care at all?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 09:55 AM

72 posts, read 204,452 times
The first season of the Real World is classic. I have not really enjoyed the show since or seen the other NY versions. I thought that the Brooklyn taping was the first time they were back in NYC. Like most reality shows, after the first season it starts to become fake (The Amazing Race being the only exception in my mind).

I thought it showed NYC in its true form. Somewhat gritty, but tons of opportunity. Everyone on that show has a dream they were trying to fulfill.
I think NYC was not as safe back then as it is now, but it showed that people can come here and live their lives. NY is a great place for twenty-somethings to come and not only launch their careers, but learn about themselves. Give it a shot and see if it works out.

P.S. - I still hear Kevin Powell on radio interviews from time to time.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYorker4now View Post
P.S. - I still hear Kevin Powell on radio interviews from time to time.
Kevin was running for Congress---I heard he lost. Let me look for more specifics on that.

ETA: Scroll to the third paragraph down for the results: http://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories...mary_main.html

And another thing about the first NYC season is that they had some locals in the house who knew the city and ventured out to places other than the Manhattan borough. The second NYC season, if I remember correctly, stuck to Manhattan. I remember one episode where Coral and Nicole (who were judgmental harpies, though Coral lightened up a lot near the end) were looking in the phone book for a nightclub to go to, and saw one that had "LES" next to it. They thought it stood for lesbian club. "I don't want to go to no lesbian club!" Nicole said. I love how the caption appeared on the screen that said LES=Lower East Side.

And with this third NYC season, I have a feeling that none of NYC's character will come through in it. Unlike the previous NYC seasons, these kids will either get car service or their own car. Call me crazy, but I love the NYC subway. There are many characters who ride it, and if it goes above ground you get to see interesting sights. How can you see that in a car? Also, I wouldn't be surprised if these kids stuck to Williamsburg and the Manhattan neighborhoods. And I doubt any of them are local or native to NYC.

Last edited by breakingfree; 09-11-2008 at 10:09 AM..

Old 09-11-2008, 10:18 AM

9,855 posts, read 24,235,241 times
The first season was a really cool show and was really ahead of its time. I was very young but I still remember it. But it was never the same after that. MTV started tinkering more and more with it.

On a sidenote one of the members of the first RW cast, Kevin Powell, recently ran for a seat on the congress but lost.

I don't think its so great they are doing it in Brooklyn. This is the third time they do it in NYC. They could have went somewhere else again before coming back to New York.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
On a sidenote one of the member of the first RW cast, Kevin Powell, recently ran for a seat on the congress but lost.
Beat you to it---posted a link to it upthread.

Quote:
I don't think its so great they are doing it in Brooklyn. This is the third time they do it in NYC. They could have went somewhere else again before coming back to New York.
I heard a rumor that it's going to toggle back and forth between NYC and LA, but don't quote me on that. If so, I think that's just lazy. I love NYC, but there are other places in the States (and overseas!) to be explored.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:53 PM

278 posts, read 1,151,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by News4you View Post
Hmm...I wish they would actually show the REAL WORLD with real people..not just these kids going through their teenage drama. Let's see the people struggling in their careers, the welfare moms, drug addicts, mentally ill, the union guys, the HS dropouts, the middle america cornfed folks, the religious bible zealouts....etc...put them all in a house..and press record! Now thats a show!
Did you not watch last season? Obviously not. There was a person on it (Joey) who was battling an alcoholic and drug addiction. It got pretty heated throughout the whole season. It was the most "real" it's been in a while. There was a stripper on there as well (Brianna) who was trying to better her life. Even thought it was in Hollywood; it was still one of the best seasons in a while.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:26 PM

Also, I'm tired of seeing the so-called "pretty people" on it. What I liked about the earlier casts is that everyone was average and relatable, whereas the guys on now look like they belong in A&F, and the girls are bleached, tanned and silicon'd to death. Even the people with real problems look "plastic."

And racial diversity goes down the toilet. (I think the second NYC season was the most diverse: Three White kids, two half-Black, half-White kids; one Black girl, and one half-White, half-Filipina girl.) Five White kids with two Black kids does not equal diversity. And from the photos I've seen of this new Brooklyn cast, I haven't seen one discernable minority.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:15 PM

5,805 posts, read 9,412,299 times
Real World is done, MTV needs to wrap it up, they've milked it for all its worth.

The Challenges are still fun however.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:53 AM

541 posts, read 1,847,380 times
The Hollywood season was good. The last few however have been dull.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:04 PM

40,048 posts, read 33,161,689 times
If you were interested in reality, you wouldn't be paying so much attention to "reality TV."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City