Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 01:10 AM

353 posts, read 1,261,666 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to plan a trip to NYC for the end of the month, and this time around it doesn't seem as easy. A lot of the hotels are running for a minimum of $300 a night, which is out of my budget (it seems as if they get higher and higher every time I go to NYC!). Does anyone have any ideas for hotels with a maximum of $200 a night? I am willing to go to one of the other boroughs as long as it's 1) walking distance from a subway and 2) in a somewhat safe neighborhood (I'm a single woman, so safety is a huge factor for me).

I was looking at the Quality Inn in Brooklyn (2473 Atlantic Ave) since it's in my price range and walking distance to a subway line, but I have no clue what the surrounding area's like. I'm used to staying in Manhattan (Midtown area), but this time it probably won't be affordable to do that.

Any tips and advice would be appreciated! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 02:12 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
I think that hotel is in East New York, which is definitely NOT an area I would recommend for a stay, especially for a lady on her own.

The Pod in Manhattan might be worth checking out. They have two kinds of rooms, shared or private bathrooms. The shared bathroom, if available, should come in about $30 under your desired price range, and the private, if available, about $30 over your price range.

Aside from the Pod, you might find something closer to JFK in a Hampton Inn for under your price point, but the commute would be a bit longer. You might find something in Flushing, Queens, as there's a Best Western on 39th Avenue that's close to the Main Street subway. That should be under $200/night. If you don't mind New Jersey, check the Best Western in Hackensack, which is near NJ Transit. That one should be significantly less expensive and it's located close to the mall at Riverside.

You could also try Hotwire or Priceline, but the problem being that sometimes you can only pick by class of hotel, unless it's the higher published rate, and one needs to be mindful of surroundings, even if the star quality of the hotel is highly rated.

Old 09-01-2008, 04:41 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Don't stay in the one on Atlantic Ave. It's a bad neighborhood and you'll have trouble getting cabs to take you there. https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...at-advice.html

I don't have any first-hand knowledge of this place http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._New_York.html in Long Island City (in Queens, right next to Manhattan; very easy commute on the subway) but it sounds pretty decent from the trip advisor reviews. There are comments about the neighborhood being bad or sketchy but I suspect what people are responding to is the fact that the neighborhood is industrial and a bit deserted feeling at night - but in my opinion it is not a bad neighborhood at all. You can't even compare it to the area where the hotel on Atlantic Ave is.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:42 PM

Henna, man! I remember reading that thread, but to have my memory piqued about that hotel---okay, I won't be staying at that hotel.

bmwguydc, the Pod was the very first thing I looked at (before coming here to post), but they're booked.

I will look into the places you both suggested---thanks!

What I want to know is why are the hotels so daggone expensive? I looked at a monthly view at some hotel rates and they go from, let's say, $150/night on the 1st (today), but to $300/night near the end of the month! Ridiculous!

Old 09-01-2008, 01:20 PM

Yes, the rates do tend to fluctuate greatly, and it's even difficult to go by guide prices, since they can be totally out of whack with what's available, given the occupancy during a particular time period. I have seen hotels that are guide listed at $165/night have nothing available for under $349/night and they're the same rooms. You would do better in the outer boroughs, just try to be as close to the subway as possible, for ease of commute to Manhattan and other boroughs for attractions.

And, it's not just a Manhattan phenomenon, since some of the close-in Jersey hotels, such as Jersey City, book up and the rates skyrocket per their guide prices. I guess if you make a reservation a year in advance, you could stand a chance of the guide price.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:04 PM

Quote:
...and it's even difficult to go by guide prices, since they can be totally out of whack with what's available, given the occupancy during a particular time period.
Yeah. I was looking at a list of "cheap" NYC hotels on About.com, and they quoted the rooms at no more than $200, but when I went to check these hotels out they were way over $300 a night. Go figure.

I looked at the Comfort Inn in Long Island City (what Henna posted), and it seems like it'd be the best match. (I looked on Hopstop.com and the commute seemed very straightforward from Penn Station [I use the train to get to NYC]---27 minutes on the E.) Unfortunately, it's out of my price range (it's over $200 a night). I still have it on my list, and if push comes to shove, I'll take that one. I just am hoping to find something cheaper.

Also looked at the one bmwguydc posted (Queens Court Hotel), and compared online site rates: Hotels.com has it for the lowest at $150 a night (very reasonable!).

As long as I make a decision by the end of the week, I'm good. Here are other options:

Pan-American Hotel (79-00 Queens Blvd.)
Days Inn Brooklyn (437 39th Street)
Clarion Hotel Jamaica (138-05 Jamaica Ave.)
Quality Inn Long Island City (30-03 40th Ave.)
Days Inn Long Island City (31-36 Queens Blvd.)

Old 09-01-2008, 05:14 PM

34,087 posts, read 47,278,015 times
i dont know about the surrounding areas of any of those hotels except for the clarion on jamaica avenue. the neighborhood looks a little run-down, but jamaica avenue and 138th street is actually safe. i wouldnt venture past queens boulevard however, because jamaica avenue in the 140's gets a little dangerous (stick-up kids, drunken bar patrons). but should you choose to stay there, i doubt you'll have any problems. the E train at jamaica-van wyck is about 2-3 blocks away. jamaica hospital is also nearby so there's always people around there, 24/7.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-01-2008, 06:01 PM

The hotels on Queens Boulevard are surrounded by industrial areas that are not run-down, but can be a little more desolate during off hours, but the Boulevard is pretty busy. I think the Days Inn is under the elevated subway, though I am not 100% sure since it's been a while since I have driven that stretch of the Boulevard.

The hotel on 39th in Brooklyn is very close to 4th Avenue (where the subway is), and it's Sunset Park, which is a pretty decent area, overall. It's interesting that you selected this one on your list, since like Main Street, Flushing, the area has a good number of Asians who left Chinatown in Manhattan. Main Street, Flushing is Chinatown, so it's pretty busy, and is actually a vibrant community with a lot of shops and restaurants, larger than Chinatown in Manhattan.

It looks like you have a good list to work with, since it can be challenging to find a good value in a hotel room.

Old 09-01-2008, 06:38 PM

939 posts, read 3,385,571 times
Friends of mine just booked a room for next Saturday for $199/night + tax at the Ramada | New York City New York Hotel | New York City, NY 10016 | Near 5th Avenue and Madison Avenue Shopping, Grand Central Terminal & Madison Square Garden.

Old 09-01-2008, 06:47 PM

I checked that, iGlenn, and the rates for when I want to stay are $400 () a night. Makes no daggone sense!

Part of me wonders if things will change if I wait until closer to when I'm going on my trip to book a hotel/transportation, but I don't want to risk everything being booked out if I do that. Shaking my head at this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: