Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 07:42 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Really, I think it depends on what you consider black. Manny Ramirez I would not consider black, but you may. Using my definition there are few truly black Dominicans. Also few truly white. But the vast majority mixed. Not black but not white. That's as best I can put it.

Why do Cubans fill out Mulatto instead of Mixed? I assume its the same thing. But what I meant with demographics is ethnic makeup. Cubans, Dominicans and Ricans have some mixture of Taino (very few), African, and Spaniard blood. Of course, the exact percentages vary but when compared to Mexicans, who have a different set of Indian and very few African, the above three are in their own category.

Yeah, I didnt mean to generalize like that. Alot of Dominicans and Blacks get along too, but they have to have the common language that unites them. You see DR drug dealers and Black drug dealers conduct buissness all the time and hang out. But at the end of the day Dominicans stick with Dominicans, Blacks with Blacks, Puerto Rican with Puerto Rican etc.....cause if you get locked up....there aint no being cool with another race. There used to each other, for living in the same hoods for so long. But I still say that spanish speaking Dominicans dont get along with blacks or most Ricans. They stay out of each others way but if something were to pop these groups will go at it. I also think that the exposure to one another matters. For example, a Dominican in Morris/University Heights may not react hatefully towards a black person because they see them everyday in their hood. Same goes for Blacks. But a Dominican from Washington Heights, which has few blacks, may watch his back if he sees a black person because they hear all these negative stereotypes and have no contact with them so all they have going for them is the stereotype...animosity may build here. Same with a black person from Bed-stuy, Central Harlem etc

Why does everything have to be a comparison based on how people relate on the streets? Damn bro. You really need to get out of the Bronx.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:43 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,049,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Why does everything have to be a comparison based on how people relate on the streets? Damn bro. You really need to get out of the Bronx.
The thread asks for Hispanic and Black tension. I answered that there is.

Period.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:08 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
The thread asks for Hispanic and Black tension. I answered that there is.

Period.
But your post could have been about just people interacting in society in general, not necessarily the street aspect of it. Drug dealers, jail, etc. That's what I was getting at. Everyone else has added to the discussion without necessarily bringing up that aspect of it. I just thought it was interesting that you went into that type of comparison.

Still you provide good perspective.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:09 PM

51 posts, read 244,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post

I don't think that a Latin person has to worry about being on the bottom, they are looked at differently by society. I don't know whether that is good or bad. I also don't think that most Latin people have to worry about being mistaken as a Black American no matter how dark their skin color appears to be, most people know the difference. If it comes up, the person can just state what they are.
The ones that look like Sammy Sosa and Celia Cruz (R.I.P.) sure as heck do have to worry. And believe me the are MANY Dominicans who you think are Black American because they haven't opened there mouths. Did you know the Brotha (one that was killed) on "The Steve Harvey" show was Dominican? There plenty like that and many assume they are Black American but they're not . Sure a person could always state what they are but that can offend someone who insists they are "black" - thus creating tension.

Check out these articles:

In New York's Cultural Mix, Black Latinos Carve Out Niche - New York Times

Understanding the Divide Between Latinos and African Americans - Racial Tension - Esquire

Old 09-14-2008, 08:20 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,671,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodey View Post
Thank you for posting this! It's a well-written article and I approve of most of what it says.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Thank you for posting this! It's a well-written article and I approve of most of what it says.
You are welcome, and there is more where that came from if you are interested.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:00 PM

14 posts, read 129,352 times
I never knew race was defined by what language you speak. HISPANIC IS NOT A RACE.

That being said, you answered your own question in the 2nd pargraph

Old 09-14-2008, 09:10 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,671,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodey View Post
You are welcome, and there is more where that came from if you are interested.
In 2007, the Miami Herald did a five-part series called "A Rising Voice: Afro-Latin Americans" - I enjoyed it very much: MiamiHerald.com | Afro-Latin Americans

Old 09-14-2008, 09:37 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
In 2007, the Miami Herald did a five-part series called "A Rising Voice: Afro-Latin Americans" - I enjoyed it very much: MiamiHerald.com | Afro-Latin Americans
That was a really good series, especially the one concentrating on the Dominican Republic.........lots of self-hatred in that culture........

Old 09-14-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:

Yep , actually I was going to send that to you! Glad to see that some of you are not afraid to look deeper into the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City