Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 09:48 PM

398 posts, read 1,331,548 times

Advertisements

Im a throw some game to ya'll.Southern Cali has alot of racial tension down there.Blacks and Mexicans,White and Black,Black and Asian,etc,etc. It started with gangs in the neighborhoods solidifying their territory.Everything in the So. Cal is very spread out.As well as a lot of first and second gen. Mexicans dont open up to people outside their own race. Northern Cali is way different. Blacks and Hispanics are mosty cool. Just like in the East coast,there's a lil tension but not very often. The Bay Area is a melting pot just like the East Coast,We grew up listening to East Coast hip hop, as well as bringing are own vibe to the game. Just wanna make that clear.

Last edited by DjRey; 09-14-2008 at 10:00 PM..

Old 09-14-2008, 10:10 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,196,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I disagree. In terms of racial make up the carribean hispanics from Cuba, Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico are basically identical. PR has alittle more spanish and DR/Cuba a little more African but generally these three countries are the same in makeup. That is why alot of people have trouble telling people from DR, PR and Cuba apart.

The same goes for Central American countries like Salvador, Mexico, Uruguay ...and to a certain extent South American countries, Ecuador, Peru....alot of these people just get thrown in with Mexicans. Because they are hard to tell apart. Most of these countries have the same makeups. I cannot tell a Mexican from an Ecuadorian/Salvadorean apart for example.

But nobody would confuse a Dominican for being Mexican, Or a Puerto Rican for being Ecuadorian or a Cuban for being Salvadorean. They're all latin countries but they share almost nothing besides language. Dominican, Puerto Rican and to a lesser extent Cuba culture are similar. They actually do listen to the same music...Merengue, Salsa, Bachata, Reggaeton. They eat the same exact foods....arroz con habichuela y pollo. They sometimes use the same slang.....Que lo Que, Que lo Que hay, Loco, Manito, cabr*n, Chula, Mami, Mierda, Diablo etc....all though this isnt entirely true....but Puerto Ricans use DR slang occasionally and vice versa. But you NEVER hear them say Guey, Chingada, Vieja, Que mas, Vato etc which is what Mexicans say. Mexicans listen to Vallenatos, Mariachi, Balladas and some Bachata....so it isnt the same music.

So Puerto Ricans and Blacks have more in common IMO. Puerto Ricans do not have "litte" African.....some barrios over there are entirely black. They have a significant amount, though not as much as DR and Cuba. But they have that in common with African Americans. Also PR and AA listen to hip-hop and are both heavily involved in the ghetto lifestyle. BTW, the above is meant for Nuyoricans and not Puerto Ricans from la isla. Puerto Ricans en la isla have little in common with AA. Also remember that Nuyoricans dont speak spanish, so they lose the only thing that bonded them with Mexicans.

If anything the only countries that are alike to PR, is DR and Cuba. Anything else is a stretch.
You are correct. I live in Chicago and there is a large Mexican and Puerto Rican population, but Chicago latino base is more Mexican like LA. But anyway, Many Dominicans do look like African-Americans or at least half black. As African-American male with some Creole mix, I can easily be consider Dominican in NYC or the Dominican Republic, due to my wavy/curly hair. But you are right about one thing, it is easy to tell the difference between a Carribean Latino and a Mexico/Central American latino by looking at the features and food.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:17 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,196,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjRey View Post
Im a throw some game to ya'll.Southern Cali has alot of racial tension down there.Blacks and Mexicans,White and Black,Black and Asian,etc,etc. It started with gangs in the neighborhoods solidifying their territory.Everything in the So. Cal is very spread out.As well as a lot of first and second gen. Mexicans dont open up to people outside their own race. Northern Cali is way different. Blacks and Hispanics are mosty cool. Just like in the East coast,there's a lil tension but not very often. The Bay Area is a melting pot just like the East Coast,We grew up listening to East Coast hip hop, as well as bringing are own vibe to the game. Just wanna make that clear.
I live in Chicago, and Chicago have a large Mexican and Puerto Rican population, but Chicago latino base is more Mexican. But most of the time Blacks and Mexicans,and Puerto Ricans get along for the most part(especially the youth). Chicago do have a gang problem(mainly in Black & Latino neighborhoods), but you don't see too much racial tension between black and latinos in Chicago.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:23 AM

398 posts, read 1,331,548 times
I'm glad Chicago and the Bay Area are more on the unity and peace tip. As far as this thread,I dont even like the name of it.It sounds negative.I just had to give my view coming from Hayward CA,(Bay Area).I grew up around all types of people.And I'm half Puertorican.

Last edited by DjRey; 09-15-2008 at 12:32 AM..

Old 09-15-2008, 08:49 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
closed for mod review

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City