Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 10:30 PM

938 posts, read 4,094,873 times

Advertisements

Anybody been to LA or know this neighborhood well? If not I'll try and describe it to you.

It's lively, eclectic bohemian enclave encompassing many smaller neighborhoods and is characterized by an endless supply of 1920's Spanish Revival architecture (and a less visible, but equally appealing Art Deco presence), this neighborhood has cultivated a diverse, urban and even mysterious (long accepting of off the beaten track & artsy-types + gays) being.

I enjoy living in this neighborhood because of the diversity, the people's willingness to try new things, foliage, density/architecture and the fact that it had good amenities (great culinary options!). Most important is that it is close to everything! You're never more than 20 minutes from anywhere (5 minutes to Beverly Hills, 10 minutes to Hollywood, 15-20 minutes to Downtown)
Here are some pictures of it:

Transit will also play a role in this search, if not in Manhattan, I'd like to be a short subway ride away from it.

Rent isn't a real pressing issue as I'm probably moving with a friend and will likely have a nice-sized budget.
Attached Thumbnails
WANTED: NYC's version of LA's Miracle Mile-img_1106.jpg  

Last edited by Viralmd; 09-12-2008 at 05:29 AM.. Reason: copyrighted material
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 11:48 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,407,048 times
You're not going to find much in the way of Spanish Revival architecture in NYC, and it's not going to be as leafy, in general, as the Mid-Wilshire District, since I expect you're looking for more than the Miracle Mile section of Wilshire itself.

On an appearance basis, it's not unlike parts of Queens, but demographically they are pretty different, especially if you want leafy, diverse, semi-upscale enclaves since that will be places like Forest Hills/Kew Gardens/and parts of Queens on the bay that are more suburban in nature. To match on demographics, you're looking at someplace like Astoria, Williamsburg, DUMBO, Brooklyn Heights, Greenwich Village, SoHo, or Tribeca, depending upon how upscale of an area you want. The drawback is that they are not the same architecturally, and are not as green as they are mainly urban neighborhoods with brownstownes and townhouses, or converted industrial structures mixed with new construction, not single family homes. Most all of the older housing stock in these areas predates the 1920s-1930s time frame in which Mid-Wilshire developed.

I know you're not looking for someplace like Freemont or Hancock Park, and I know the district, and I am overthinking the architectural aspects because I am coming up with suburbs or places in Queens that are not that dissimilar from Larchmont/Windsor demographically, though development is similar to the areas surrounding the Miracle Mile, but I know you want more of the diversity of an Astoria or Williamsburg. Jackson Heights, Queens comes close, save for proximity to museums like LACMA in the nieghborhood, but it's also a more transitional area right now comparatively, as are parts of Astoria.

Honestly, that area, as with the southern section of Beverly Hills, reminds me of Queens. The hangup on recommending these areas is that the neighborhoods in Queens that are most similar are family-oriented and are not as eclectic nor diverse. So, if you want the demographics, it's going to be a more urban environment, just beacuse of the way New York has developed.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:00 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,610,917 times
Other than the architecture, you could also be talking about the Midwood section of Brooklyn, which definitely has a suburban feel. Transit northbound goes directly to downtown Brooklyn and on into Manhattan, southbound to Coney Island.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:54 AM

bmwguy, architecture isn't everything-I merely used it to explain what the neighborhood was like in terms of appearance.

How would Chelsea fit?

Old 09-11-2008, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King0fthehill View Post
bmwguy, architecture isn't everything-I merely used it to explain what the neighborhood was like in terms of appearance.
Then why bother at all to include it if it doesn't matter? Urban in NYC and urban in LA are two completely different descriptors. And, I believe that I said the same, characterizing in terms of appearance. and explaining the differences you will encounter.

Quote:
How would Chelsea fit?
Chelsea is fine if you're looking for some of the arts scene that moved up from SoHo in the 90s. It's a mixture of high rise apartment blocks, former industrial properties, and a few original brownstowns in the 20s.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Other than the architecture, you could also be talking about the Midwood section of Brooklyn, which definitely has a suburban feel. Transit northbound goes directly to downtown Brooklyn and on into Manhattan, southbound to Coney Island.
How are Astoria,Bushwick,DUMBO,LIC and Williamsburg?

And for Manhattan: Chelsea and The Village

How is Jackson Heights? I often here about them and their diverse culinary scene (especially street food ) How is the commute to Manhattan? What are the homes like? Is it mainly Hispanic/South Asian with a few token White yuppies?

Thanks..

Last edited by King0fthehill; 09-11-2008 at 07:43 PM..

Old 09-11-2008, 08:57 PM

Quote:
How are Astoria,Bushwick,DUMBO,LIC and Williamsburg?

And for Manhattan: Chelsea and The Village

How is Jackson Heights? I often here about them and their diverse culinary scene (especially street food ) How is the commute to Manhattan? What are the homes like? Is it mainly Hispanic/South Asian with a few token White yuppies?

Thanks..
You're all over the map with respect to budget in those areas, so you might want to set priorities based upon that. There really isn't an equivalent in NYC or Chicago to LA's Miracle Mile exactly, so it's difficult to know what you're looking for in terms of demographics, architecture, income levels, etc. because there are huge variances in NYC's semi-bohemian areas.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:11 PM

Ok.

Jackson Heights? What's the scoop on Jackson Heights?

Old 09-11-2008, 09:22 PM

Jackson Heights is a mixed community of apartments and single family homes, designed around private gardens. It's a multi-ethnic location and has diverse populations within its borders. You're roughly 15-20 minutes from Midtown Manhattan via subway, and the area is on the upswing since crime that plagued the area in the 80s and 90s has diminished significantly. Much of the neighborhood is a designated historic landmark zone, owing to the unique character of its development in the early 20th century.

Edit: I don't know that I'd call it a more bohemian area, however, since it's not as into the arts scene as other areas.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:30 PM

55 posts, read 47,975 times
Quote:
Anybody been to LA or know this neighborhood well? If not I'll try and describe it to you.

It's lively, eclectic bohemian enclave encompassing many smaller neighborhoods and is characterized by an endless supply of 1920's Spanish Revival architecture (and a less visible, but equally appealing Art Deco presence), this neighborhood has cultivated a diverse, urban and even mysterious (long accepting of off the beaten track & artsy-types + gays) being.

I enjoy living in this neighborhood because of the diversity, the people's willingness to try new things, foliage, density/architecture and the fact that it had good amenities (great culinary options!). Most important is that it is close to everything! You're never more than 20 minutes from anywhere (5 minutes to Beverly Hills, 10 minutes to Hollywood, 15-20 minutes to Downtown)

Transit will also play a role in this search, if not in Manhattan, I'd like to be a short subway ride away from it.

Rent isn't a real pressing issue as I'm probably moving with a friend and will likely have a nice-sized budget.
Greenwich Village but come with a lot of money as it's much more upscale than Miracle Mile in LA.

Others worth mentioning:

DUMBO
Chelsea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City