Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 09:10 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,266,427 times

Advertisements

Greetings to All!

I learned about these interesting-sounding spots in various reading material, so I thought I would ask "those in the know" for some "real". Are any of these worth the effort for a tourist to check up? Thank you!

Levain Bakery on 74th St
Cupcake Cafe on 18th St
Economy Candy in the Lower Eastside (this sounds particularly interesting to me)
La Caridad 78 on Broadway (Cuban-Speaking Chinese? I gotta experience this!)
Zabar's on Broadway
Small's jazz joint on 10th St
Chinatown Ice Cream Factory on Bayard St
S'MAC (mac 'n' cheese place) on E 12th St
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 09:12 PM

33,873 posts, read 47,070,732 times
economy candy is definitely worth it....its on rivington street.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-11-2008, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
economy candy is definitely worth it....its on rivington street.
Glad to hear that. And thanks for providing its location. The article I saw it in didn't mention it, of all things!

Old 09-11-2008, 11:05 PM

317 posts, read 1,142,575 times
I concur, Economy Candy is fantastic. Chinatown Ice Cream Factory is great, too. I recommend the lychee.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:37 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,894,771 times
La Caridad is wonderful. Lived right nearby years ago and it was a real (cheap) treat. But be prepared to stand in line on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
La Caridad is wonderful. Lived right nearby years ago and it was a real (cheap) treat. But be prepared to stand in line on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights.
So glad to read this. Thank you. I'll go earlier in the week.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:18 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,497,598 times
Small's is a great jazz place. perfect late night spot. bring your own booze. good stuff.

i heard it re-opened?

another great jazz place is downstairs at Cornelia Street Cafe.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:34 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,276,057 times
Cupcake Cafe on 18th Street: I've been to the one on Ninth Avenue several times. I thought the cupcakes were overpriced and not very good; part of the reason is that they were so cold that they tasted stale. I think the best cupcakes are at Amy's Bread (Amy's Bread | www.amysbread.com | Welcome) The full pieces of cake are even better.

S'MAC (mac 'n' cheese place) on E 12th Street: They make great mac 'n' cheese but it is, ultimately, mac 'n' cheese. It's also very, very rich. It makes me want to take a nap after eating it.

A few other cool, only-in-New-York places:

ChikaLicious Dessert Bar at 203 E. 10th Street (ChikaLicious Home Page) An all-dessert restaurant. It's tiny (about 15 seats) and there's almost always a line (but it moves quickly and is certainly worth the wait).

Kyotofu at 705 Ninth Avenue (Kyotofu) Another all-dessert restaurant. All of the deserts are Japanese inspired and many contain tofu (but they're all delicious).

Shake Shack in Madison Square Park (SHAKE SHACK) A burger shack in the middle of one of the most charming parks in the city (in the shadow of the Flatiron Building). It's just a burger, but made by one of the most respected chefs in town (Danny Meyer). There's usually a long line.

Momofuku Noodle Bar at 171 First Avenue (:: momofuku :: (http://www.momofuku.com/noodle/default.asp - broken link)) Get the ramen with shredded pork; I think it's only $9.00 or so. Chef David Chang charges $300.00 (with wine) for lunch at his other restaurant, Momofuku Ko. Your get the same attention to detail at the Noodle Bar at a fraction of the price.

Bouchon Bakery in the Time Warner Building at Columbus Circle (Bouchon Bakery | Home) This is Thomas Keller's bakery. He's one of the top chefs in the world and the mastermind behind Per Se (generally regarded as the best restaurant in New York). It's very hard to get a table at Per Se (and it's also stupendously expensive) but anyone can walk up and get something delicious at the bakery. Grab a snack to go and then walk across the street to Central Park and enjoy.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Cupcake Cafe on 18th Street: I've been to the one on Ninth Avenue several times. I thought the cupcakes were overpriced and not very good; part of the reason is that they were so cold that they tasted stale. I think the best cupcakes are at Amy's Bread (Amy's Bread | www.amysbread.com | Welcome) The full pieces of cake are even better.

S'MAC (mac 'n' cheese place) on E 12th Street: They make great mac 'n' cheese but it is, ultimately, mac 'n' cheese. It's also very, very rich. It makes me want to take a nap after eating it.

A few other cool, only-in-New-York places:

ChikaLicious Dessert Bar at 203 E. 10th Street (ChikaLicious Home Page) An all-dessert restaurant. It's tiny (about 15 seats) and there's almost always a line (but it moves quickly and is certainly worth the wait).

Kyotofu at 705 Ninth Avenue (Kyotofu) Another all-dessert restaurant. All of the deserts are Japanese inspired and many contain tofu (but they're all delicious).

Shake Shack in Madison Square Park (SHAKE SHACK) A burger shack in the middle of one of the most charming parks in the city (in the shadow of the Flatiron Building). It's just a burger, but made by one of the most respected chefs in town (Danny Meyer). There's usually a long line.

Momofuku Noodle Bar at 171 First Avenue (:: momofuku :: (http://www.momofuku.com/noodle/default.asp - broken link)) Get the ramen with shredded pork; I think it's only $9.00 or so. Chef David Chang charges $300.00 (with wine) for lunch at his other restaurant, Momofuku Ko. Your get the same attention to detail at the Noodle Bar at a fraction of the price.

Bouchon Bakery in the Time Warner Building at Columbus Circle (Bouchon Bakery | Home) This is Thomas Keller's bakery. He's one of the top chefs in the world and the mastermind behind Per Se (generally regarded as the best restaurant in New York). It's very hard to get a table at Per Se (and it's also stupendously expensive) but anyone can walk up and get something delicious at the bakery. Grab a snack to go and then walk across the street to Central Park and enjoy.
These are great, and I will try to patron most of them. A few things mentioned here are not to be found where I live, so this gives me an appreciation to enjoy something unique to New York.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:16 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,885,818 times
I love Economy candy. I really recommend going there. They have almost any candy you can possibly imagine; from imported candy to old school candy you haven't seen since the 50s up until the 80s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City