Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 02:11 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,781,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
The Only Problem with Ridgewood is the Subway -

The M is Part time to Mahattan, on weekends/late nights it only takes you to and from Myrtle and you have to trsf to the J, then if you're going uptown or Midtown you have to trsf to the F at Essex, Or take it to the L for 14th street..

There are plenty of buses that take you from Dtown BK to Ridgewood, but buses can be a pain.

My preference is - I dont want to live anywhere thats not close to and doesnt have realiable subway service.
Yeah, that is a huge trade off really. Isn't the "L" near there or relatively near? I've heard on this forum from some that the "L" has a lot of "shut downs"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 03:29 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,885,600 times
I live in Ridgewood, just off Fresh Pond Road. For the most part it is very safe, I walk around here late at night often and never been bothered. The buses around here are pretty decent, but sometimes slow due to traffic. It's a pretty walkable area though, you don't really need a car if you live here.

Neighborhood is somewhat diverse, but if you're expecting Woodside, Jackson Heights, or Astoria, you'll be dissapointed. The majority of the residents here are Polish, Italian, Albanian, Romanian, Puerto Rican, and Ecuadorian. Most of the Whites/Eastern Euros live closer to Maspeth/Middle Village, whereas most of the Hispanics live closer to Bushwick. Many of the resients here are immigrants aswell so encountering people speaking spanish or european isn't uncommon. There aren't that many Asians here and I very rarely see any blacks in the neighborhood.

Area is mostly middle class. Where I live, we pay about $1300 a month for a 2 bedroom. Traffic and parking here is quite a problem though. There isn't a single street in the neighborhood that is wider then 2 lanes asides from a small stretch of Metropolitan Avenue near Brooklyn. That, and construction on streets here is quite common, esp. during winter. It's a safe neighborhood though, but the neighborhood does slowly get more and more sketchy the more closer you get to Bushwick. The schools here are also pretty decent, and despite what everyone says, Grover Cleveland HS isn't that bad of a High School [at least, when compared to other High Schools in the City].

Old 09-19-2008, 07:11 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,482,625 times
Ridgewood is pretty nice and getting better. It seems to be attracting lots of Eastern European immigrants. There is a great deal of new construction in the area as well. I don't think it will ever be a haven for Yuppies, but it is definitely on the way up.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:44 PM

149 posts, read 614,442 times
I lived near Ridgewood growing up (lived off of Flushing Ave. as a youth, then lived on Starr St. after marrying my wife). Always liked the area, as we had a few friends in that area. I agree with all the comments thus far, especially with the area getting a little more questionable the closer you get to the Brooklyn border/Bushwick. Never had a problem with the "L" train, always got me to the city quicker than the M or J trains; you can zip through the tunnel at a nice pace as opposed to crawling across the Williamsburg Bridge.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:03 PM

536 posts, read 2,344,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Many of the resients here are immigrants aswell so encountering people speaking spanish or european isn't uncommon.
I find that a funny statement only because spanish is a European language... people tend to forget that nowadays, though.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:23 AM

1,990 posts, read 7,620,422 times
^^ Lol. I know what you mean, besides "European" isn't a language But that's neither here nor there. I never been to Ridgewood. Though I hear mix things about it. Some like it, some don't. Crime may be high towards the Bushwick area, but that is what I heard. I know Subway serive got to be a pain to get there. From there to Midtown will no doubt take over an hour on a good day.

Old 09-20-2008, 02:18 PM

40,049 posts, read 34,517,363 times
Assuming that you didn't have the time for a ride on the B-38 bus all the way across Brooklyn, there's always the Q-38 on the corner of Fresh Pond and Metropolitan. That'll take you to Queens Boulevard, where you can catch the subway at the Woodhaven Boulevard station.

And the M train isn't all that terrible. Four stops from the terminal at Metropolitan to Myrtle Avenue for a transfer with the L. You could still be standing at Union Square in half an hour.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:30 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,482,625 times
Here is a recent New York Times article about Ridgewood Queens if anyone is interested.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/11/re...rssnyt&emc=rss

Old 09-22-2008, 11:05 AM

2,871 posts, read 4,781,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
Here is a recent New York Times article about Ridgewood Queens if anyone is interested.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/11/re...rssnyt&emc=rss
Thanks, that article was very encouraging.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:02 AM

21 posts, read 74,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
classis NYC ethnic nabe

a throwback to the good old days

we need more
Damn straight. As I just posted in another thread, here's one Ridgewood native who hopes the neighborhood remains "ungentrified." Too much of the authentic NYC has already been lost, may Ridgewood survive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City