Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2007, 03:03 PM

1 posts, read 6,161 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I currently work for a consulting firm in Maryland making 60k/yr. I've been out of university and have been at my job for 2.5 yrs now. I have always wanted to move to NY and have decided to take the next step and do it.

I am about to begin searching for jobs, but had a few questions that I hoped you guys could answer. I'm sure i'll get a small pay increase just from swapping companies alone, but now the question is about how much of an inrease i should expect/request for the adjustment in cost of living.

#1-What is a reasonable salary amount that I can request for? Obviously the cost of living in NYC is significantly higher than in Maryland. So when I interview I wanna make sure I don't ask for an unreasonable amount...or even worse, low-ball myself and ask for a salary that's far less than what they're expecting to pay.

#2-Any specific websites that you guys might recommend for job searches? Any sites more helpful than others?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2007, 03:10 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
This website might help:

http://www.payscale.com/?src=G34&gcl...FQojggod1XFuog

When I worked in NYC I received a flat rate adjustment from myState employer. This flat rate was provided regardless of salary. We received $750 per/annum distributed in bi-monthly payroll.

However, it is likely you could earn as much as 20% more than your current salary.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:23 PM

500 posts, read 2,859,221 times
My wife works in a consulting firm. She started at 85,000 when we first moved here three years ago, then went up to 100,000 the next year in a different consulting firm, now to 108,000 and who knows what's next.

It sounds like a pattern you could follow.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:54 AM

284 posts, read 1,656,926 times
Go to paycheckcity.com just to see what the income tax differences will be on your current salary. NYC has some of the highest taxes in the country, so you will want to know that right away.

In my experience, early career (where you are) jobs in NYC do not pay inline with cost of living. Except maybe lawyers at top firms, MBAs, etc. If you are making $60k in Maryland, this is not you.

You should not be the first one to give a salary figure anyway, right? Let the employer do it first and see if it fits.

But if they ask you for a range...without knowing what kind of work you do...25%-30% above where you are now ($75k or so) sounds about right. But be prepared for less, depending on your field. I know plenty of college grads with more experience than you have who make around $60k in NYC. Some, even less.

Did I mention that salaries are not usually inline with cost of living?

I've found careerbuilder, hotjobs, monster to all be about the same. Consider contacting some NYC recruiters in your field. They can be very helpful.

Old 02-07-2007, 10:22 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
Great idea, getting into touch with a recruiter. They'll give you good ballpark figures for your particular field and at no cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbeet View Post

I've found careerbuilder, hotjobs, monster to all be about the same. Consider contacting some NYC recruiters in your field. They can be very helpful.

Old 02-09-2007, 11:00 PM

491 posts, read 828,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskim09 View Post
#1-What is a reasonable salary amount that I can request for? Thanks in advance!
120K in Manhatten you can do a cubbyhole for 80K commuting to Brooklyn Queens or Hoboken is a less expensive option.

Old 02-10-2007, 06:22 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
It depends what you do: someone in advertising starting out wouldn't (couldn't) ask what an experienced litigation attorney would get....

Old 02-13-2007, 08:02 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,081,952 times
I think youll probably want double the salary cause costs of living is that much higher. Depending where in NYC you want to live, expect studios to be anywhere from $200k to over $500k in a safe neighboorhood. If the salary increase is not enough to afford even a studio, stay in Maryland.

Old 02-13-2007, 10:50 AM

1,153 posts, read 4,557,015 times
Where in MD does the topic creator live? Parts of MD in Montgomery County are more expensive than most of NYC.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:33 AM

242 posts, read 1,018,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
Where in MD does the topic creator live? Parts of MD in Montgomery County are more expensive than most of NYC.
Being that he is currently making $60k, I would guess he wouldn't be living in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: