Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2008, 05:32 PM

4 posts, read 19,890 times

Advertisements

Hi

I have just registered on this forum having read a number of very interesting threads during my extensive research for a first-time trip to NY in October.
I hope you don't mind someone from way out of town posting here, and I'm sorry in advance if I interrupt with annoying tourist questions, I do appreciate this forum is not for that.

I've been looking in to renting an appartment through a website I use regularly for all my vacations (holiday-rentals.co.uk, the uk branch of homeaway.com). But I've discovered that renting appts for vacations in NY is possibly illegal? I've seen some discussion (on other places) about the economic & political issues around this but it is not clear to me at all.

As an example, I am looking to rent a v small appt in Brooklyn where the owner lives in the same house and is clearly not some burgeoning property tycoon. I have no idea whether this is illegal or not, even though it's all done through a highly reputable web-based agency. I'm pretty sure they (the organisation) has no idea either.

Can anyone tell me what the issues are? I mean, what's wrong with renting out your property as long as you declare it and pay the appropriate taxes?

Last edited by magwitch; 09-14-2008 at 05:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 06:22 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
In co-op apartments, this is flagrantly illegal. Some people do do this, however, running the risk of literally losing their apartments. In terms of rental apartments, it's also forbidden for the lessee to sublet the apartment long-term or short-term, without the landlord's agreement.

In condominiums, the owners can sublet their apartments without approval of the building board or others, HOWEVER, most buildings forbid short term leases.

So, in short, yes, it's illegal in much of NYC.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:27 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
This article can probably answer some of your questions.
To Make Ends Meet, More Risk Eviction To Run 'Hotels' - September 4, 2008 - The New York Sun

Old 09-14-2008, 06:47 PM

Thanks for your reply, Viralmd.
So basically the 300-odd NY properties advertised on the website I visit for vacation properties are probably illegal lets?

I expect this is going to sound very naive, but doesn't anybody actually own their property in NY?

Old 09-14-2008, 06:56 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times
Many New Yorkers do own their own property but, due to the fact that many owned units are a part of a larger building (condos/co-ops), owners don't have as many rights as someone who owns a single-family house.

I'd be concerned also about the validity of the rental listings. I remember a news report from a few months ago in which someone was advertising an apartment for rent. He'd collect money up front and when people arrived, they found that it was all a scam.

So, just be careful.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:21 PM

Thanks Henna. That was a very informative article.

I'm really looking forward to visiting the wonderful city of New York, but frankly I can't afford to pay the prices that NY hotels charge. I don't want to be a 'detrimental tourist' but I don't see anything in that article that convices me I am doing anything other than depriving the middle man of his cut, and I can live with that.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
Many New Yorkers do own their own property but, due to the fact that many owned units are a part of a larger building (condos/co-ops), owners don't have as many rights as someone who owns a single-family house.

I'd be concerned also about the validity of the rental listings. I remember a news report from a few months ago in which someone was advertising an apartment for rent. He'd collect money up front and when people arrived, they found that it was all a scam.

So, just be careful.
Thanks for this advice, I heard about such scams and I'm pretty sure that I'm ok. It's an international agency, I've used it many times before and the properties have been listed for many years. Plus there's a traveller's guarantee. I'll be sure to come back and let you know if otherwise... !

Old 10-28-2008, 02:44 PM

1 posts, read 4,846 times
this article might help: [url]http://www.usatoday.com/travel/hotels/2008-09-18-nyc-apartment-rentals_n.htmA[/url] friend of mine used Roomorama.com and said that its safe and trusted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City