Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 05:32 PM

473 posts, read 1,666,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90'sHip_Hop_Head View Post
...!Im currently in college for Information tech to hopefully become a Network Administrator and i also make beats/work a 9-5 on the side how about yourself?....
hhmmm - if you're reading IT and you're also an aspiring sys admin, a pursuit with a HIGH ROI is the MCSE kid. You can basically set up a home network (2-3boxes), use self study, and learn A LOT on your own by going through the MS study kits. While most employers will not accept "self study" as "evidence" of specified skill sets, it doesn't change the fact that you know/understand the technology, processes, trouble shooting method etc.
The MCSE will be all the "proof of skills" you need....... The BEST administrators are self-taught.....

There is really no point in taking "classes" for the MCSE since the "instructors" will basically just tell you what's in the study guide. They don't posess the ability to plasta it in your head so you still have to study. So why pay for "lessons"? Your investment largest investment will be study time

You can land a decent internship (in NYC for instance) prior to graduation, and that could launch an after college career for you. What the hell is an aspiring sys admin doing taking a Cop/C.O exam?

** since you make beats, you have enough "credibility" to receive career counselling from Rick Ross for the C.O "track".... lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 06:31 PM

943 posts, read 4,246,336 times
Quote:
What do i need to have to qualify for the correction officer test?Thats not a bad idea to volunteer/intern i will take your advice on that...Is it easy to get jobs at temp agencies or are they competitive in NYC?...her ein VA you can jsut take a test...and if you pass they will run drug tests on you then place you at a job is it this easy in NYC?

39 college credits, drivers license and good character (everything from driving to criminal record, literally everything). I don't know how to post the link, but if you type New York City Department of Corrections in a search engine their website will come up and on the left side you will see job opportunities. I have never worked temp I am not sure, but it can't be that hard to volunteer/intern, everybody wants a free employee I would think. I know interning in radio stations are real competitive though if that is your interest.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:48 PM

296 posts, read 732,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 206er-InNY View Post
I do various social work. Have been working with disadvantaged youth within the inner city in the aspects of health, exercise & Nutrition for about 8 years, and have been a Drug counselor at a rehab center for Teenage boys for about 4 years....

There's lots of Jobs out there for people w/ my experience/interest, so I'm not worried, but I do hope I can find a nice place close to the city, that's my bigger issue

You make beats? a Producer?? Good luck w/ that in NY man, that scene is highly competitive and saturated with people trying to find their spot.....Its good to have something to fall back on, so Good luck getting your degree!

I make beats cause' i love music not so much to make money i'd rather stay low key underground than mainstream.Your pretty much set you should have no prob finding jobs with your expertise.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bx718 View Post
hhmmm - if you're reading IT and you're also an aspiring sys admin, a pursuit with a HIGH ROI is the MCSE kid. You can basically set up a home network (2-3boxes), use self study, and learn A LOT on your own by going through the MS study kits. While most employers will not accept "self study" as "evidence" of specified skill sets, it doesn't change the fact that you know/understand the technology, processes, trouble shooting method etc.
The MCSE will be all the "proof of skills" you need....... The BEST administrators are self-taught.....

There is really no point in taking "classes" for the MCSE since the "instructors" will basically just tell you what's in the study guide. They don't posess the ability to plasta it in your head so you still have to study. So why pay for "lessons"? Your investment largest investment will be study time

You can land a decent internship (in NYC for instance) prior to graduation, and that could launch an after college career for you. What the hell is an aspiring sys admin doing taking a Cop/C.O exam?

** since you make beats, you have enough "credibility" to receive career counselling from Rick Ross for the C.O "track".... lol

LOL thats hilarious and couldn't be more true wtf was i thinking about C.O. or anything even dealing with the police force!!!

Old 09-15-2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogplife View Post
39 college credits, drivers license and good character (everything from driving to criminal record, literally everything). I don't know how to post the link, but if you type New York City Department of Corrections in a search engine their website will come up and on the left side you will see job opportunities. I have never worked temp I am not sure, but it can't be that hard to volunteer/intern, everybody wants a free employee I would think. I know interning in radio stations are real competitive though if that is your interest.

I wont be able to get into this anyway becuase my drive record is shot...i have been suspended for racing and driving reckless!...Thats another reason why im giving up cars for NYC!

Old 09-15-2008, 09:28 PM

Quote:
I wont be able to get into this anyway becuase my drive record is shot...i have been suspended for racing and driving reckless!...Thats another reason why im giving up cars for NYC!
If you clean up your license now (hopefully its still not suspended) you should be good by the time you apply.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bx718 View Post

He is looking for money to get him started. Name me a job that is "guaranteed" that will hold him down for a year or so when he moves that actually pays. I know from experience how hard it is to move when you are under the age of 25. It can be overwhelming (I moved out of NYC which is actually easier). He could land an internship which would be great of course, but landing one and one that pays decent to hold him down won't be easy. In this job market you can't be too good for any job, especially when you are freshn out of college. You should always have a plan B.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:32 AM

39 posts, read 138,643 times
Quote:
I make beats cause' i love music not so much to make money i'd rather stay low key underground than mainstream.Your pretty much set you should have no prob finding jobs with your expertise.
Yeah man, I know, its all about the love...

Funny, I was just watching "Brown Sugar" w/ Sanaa Lathan and Taye Diggs last night.

I've also been watching alot of Movies based outta NYC last week or so, just to get myself hyped up for my move lol. Do you realize how many NY based movies Spike Lee has made???

anyways, good luck w/ your producing and your school, man. Hope you end up where you need to be to excell

Old 09-16-2008, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 206er-InNY View Post
Yeah man, I know, its all about the love...

Funny, I was just watching "Brown Sugar" w/ Sanaa Lathan and Taye Diggs last night.

I've also been watching alot of Movies based outta NYC last week or so, just to get myself hyped up for my move lol. Do you realize how many NY based movies Spike Lee has made???

anyways, good luck w/ your producing and your school, man. Hope you end up where you need to be to excell

Spike is amazing he has the best movies!

Old 09-16-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbambi View Post
BTW I was out of work for almost 3 months. I applied at several agencies to help speed up the job hunting process...many of my agents were not calling back..and I found out that even THEY were being laid off...4 in the last 2 months to be exact. I'm now working for $14 as a temp to perm receptionist. I really had to take a huge cut in pay and basically demoted myself out of desperation. If $14 sounds like a lot to you...you are in a for a huge surprise.

Well, it also depends on how you manage your money $14 would be enough where im at in VA to have your own place becuase Apt's are cheaper my friend pays $820 a month for rent for a 1 bedroom and he is making $15 and has a car payment/phone bill to worry about also!I can imagine $14 not being enough in NYC...but...do you have a car payment?do you smoke?drink?are you adicted to clothes and sneakers?do you go out to eat often?...Im trying make a point here...its all about MONEY MANAGEMENT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City