Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 10:13 PM

296 posts, read 734,334 times

Advertisements

How difficult is it for an out of towner to get a job in NYC?im still brainstorming and comtemplating about the move and one of my friends born and raised in the Bronx keeps telling me its hard to get jobs in NYC and he said going up there with $5000 is foolish and i wouldn't make it(I dont have $5000 yet but im positive that in 1 to1 in a half years i will surely have more than $5000 saved...On the flipside i am a fairly optimistic person and i am not going to let his words discourage me.How true is this(as far as moving up there with a decent amount of funds and finding a job where it's not impossible to survive) and what do you think of his comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 10:39 PM

398 posts, read 1,331,246 times
You could always start off living right outside of NY,then work your way closer in to the city.That's what I'm gonna do.I mean,look at it this way. Immigrants go there with 800 dollars to they name!sometimes even less.And they making it and coming up.I'm sure 5 racks will definately be enough to live on.You just have to budget, and live within your means.Good luck Bro!

Old 09-14-2008, 10:51 PM

Thanks man i appreciate it good luck to you also...Although i have pretty much lived outside of NYC already(North jersey) and i'd much rather live in NYC where i definately dont need a car and it's more of a vibrant city I have been to NYC and lived in Jersey and in comparison(remember this is just my opinion) Jersey HAS NOTHING on NYC!

Old 09-15-2008, 12:28 AM

39 posts, read 139,096 times
I'm moving to NY for good soon, and I have several friends that live there, and my cousin actually moved there with 6 Grand to her name about 4 years ago......

She's doing very well, and shares a 1br APT right by times square with her Boyfriend that has rent approaching 3500

But she earns her money bar tending. Im sure the fact that she's an attractive women (So I've been told lol) helps. And I know for a fact that she makes massive amounts of tips, and can make enough to pay her share of the rent in less than a week

as far as Jobs, I have some lined up, but I want to get the feel of the city first, before I commit to a job. I know it helps to have a particular skill, What are you good at? or even interested in??

Old 09-15-2008, 04:09 AM

943 posts, read 4,257,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90'sHip_Hop_Head View Post
How difficult is it for an out of towner to get a job in NYC?im still brainstorming and comtemplating about the move and one of my friends born and raised in the Bronx keeps telling me its hard to get jobs in NYC and he said going up there with $5000 is foolish and i wouldn't make it(I dont have $5000 yet but im positive that in 1 to1 in a half years i will surely have more than $5000 saved...On the flipside i am a fairly optimistic person and i am not going to let his words discourage me.How true is this(as far as moving up there with a decent amount of funds and finding a job where it's not impossible to survive) and what do you think of his comments?
Its hard for everyone to get a jo in NYC, but I wouldn't pay his comments too much attention. You could rent a room for about 600 a month in the Bronx and within 6 to 7 months I don't see why you can't find nothing before your funds dry up. What type of field are you trying to work in? What are you good at? I know you said you was like 19 on a thread before. My sugestion would get 39 credits in school while you are out there and apply to be a corrections officer in NYC. You can get those credits in one year and be on that job in about a year after you get the credits. I'm not saying you have to do that long term, but it would guarantee you can hold yourself down till you find what you want to do. Who knows you might like it and stay.

Old 09-15-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 206er-InNY View Post
I'm moving to NY for good soon, and I have several friends that live there, and my cousin actually moved there with 6 Grand to her name about 4 years ago......

She's doing very well, and shares a 1br APT right by times square with her Boyfriend that has rent approaching 3500

But she earns her money bar tending. Im sure the fact that she's an attractive women (So I've been told lol) helps. And I know for a fact that she makes massive amounts of tips, and can make enough to pay her share of the rent in less than a week

as far as Jobs, I have some lined up, but I want to get the feel of the city first, before I commit to a job. I know it helps to have a particular skill, What are you good at? or even interested in??

Good luck to you!Im currently in college for Information tech to hopefully become a Network Administrator and i also make beats/work a 9-5 on the side how about yourself?

Old 09-15-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogplife View Post
Its hard for everyone to get a jo in NYC, but I wouldn't pay his comments too much attention. You could rent a room for about 600 a month in the Bronx and within 6 to 7 months I don't see why you can't find nothing before your funds dry up. What type of field are you trying to work in? What are you good at? I know you said you was like 19 on a thread before. My sugestion would get 39 credits in school while you are out there and apply to be a corrections officer in NYC. You can get those credits in one year and be on that job in about a year after you get the credits. I'm not saying you have to do that long term, but it would guarantee you can hold yourself down till you find what you want to do. Who knows you might like it and stay.

I turned 20 not to long ago and my major is Information tech but who knows how that will turn out if anything i need experience to top off the degrees to land a solid job in NYC degrees mean something but it means nothing without experience.I dont think i would like to be a corrections officer to much its just not my thing but i would do it...people do things they dont want to all the time...I dont think i will have a problem finding an apt its just that im in college here and i really dont want to transfer so i'd rather finish here in VA

Last edited by 90'sHip_Hop_Head; 09-15-2008 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: Left something out.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:17 PM

943 posts, read 4,257,733 times
Quote:
I turned 20 not to long ago and my major is Information tech but who knows how that will turn out if anything i need experience to top off the degrees to land a solid job in NYC degrees mean something but it means nothing without experience.I dont think i would like to be a corrections officer to much its just not my thing but i would do it...people do things they dont want to all the time...I dont think i will have a problem finding an apt its just that im in college here and i really dont want to transfer so i'd rather finish here in VA

Ok your questioned was geared toward after you graduate. In that case I would still take the Correction officer or Police test when you are qualified (not sure if you are qualified now), finish school in VA, then take one of those jobs in NYC upon graduation. That would make sure you are taken care of from a money point of view. While working one of those jobs I would volunteer/intern on your off days (likely won't be weekends which is a good thing) with something related to your degree. I wish I could offer a better plan, but those are the only "guaranteed" jobs I know that will put some money in your pocket short term while you make the transition. Like I said you would just be doing it until you get some experience and land a job the job you want in your field. Hope that helps. Good luck.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:47 PM

39 posts, read 139,096 times
Quote:
Good luck to you!Im currently in college for Information tech to hopefully become a Network Administrator and i also make beats/work a 9-5 on the side how about yourself?
I do various social work. Have been working with disadvantaged youth within the inner city in the aspects of health, exercise & Nutrition for about 8 years, and have been a Drug counselor at a rehab center for Teenage boys for about 4 years....

There's lots of Jobs out there for people w/ my experience/interest, so I'm not worried, but I do hope I can find a nice place close to the city, that's my bigger issue

You make beats? a Producer?? Good luck w/ that in NY man, that scene is highly competitive and saturated with people trying to find their spot.....Its good to have something to fall back on, so Good luck getting your degree!

Old 09-15-2008, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogplife View Post
Ok your questioned was geared toward after you graduate. In that case I would still take the Correction officer or Police test when you are qualified (not sure if you are qualified now), finish school in VA, then take one of those jobs in NYC upon graduation. That would make sure you are taken care of from a money point of view. While working one of those jobs I would volunteer/intern on your off days (likely won't be weekends which is a good thing) with something related to your degree. I wish I could offer a better plan, but those are the only "guaranteed" jobs I know that will put some money in your pocket short term while you make the transition. Like I said you would just be doing it until you get some experience and land a job the job you want in your field. Hope that helps. Good luck.

What do i need to have to qualify for the correction officer test?Thats not a bad idea to volunteer/intern i will take your advice on that...Is it easy to get jobs at temp agencies or are they competitive in NYC?...her ein VA you can jsut take a test...and if you pass they will run drug tests on you then place you at a job is it this easy in NYC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City