Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2008, 06:53 PM

5 posts, read 12,242 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'm from Bulgaria. Next year I'm planning to move to the U.S. First i was thinking to move to Ft. Lauderdale, FL but i gave that up cause of all the storms and hurricanes, high requirements for life, plus i love the four seasons so..
Now i hesitate between Minneapolis and NYC. I have some questions about NYC!

1. Which neighbourhoods are close to Manhattan and safe.
2. I'm planning to move with a friend of mine(Also Bulgarian), so the payment of rent,taxes etc. will be easily for both of us. We both can pay $1 000 each for rent, that makes it $2 000/month. So can we find a small apartment with 2 bedrooms and 1 bathroom or something similar?
3. How are the taxes in the city? Are they very high or it depends on your job, where you live and etc..
4. Me and my friend are gonna be looking for a job in Sales/Marketing/Management/Accounting/Barman. What are the average salaries of the above listed jobs?
5. For start we plan to move in NYC (If we decide to move there) with $10 000 each. Will that be enough for a start?

Give me some tips or advices what should I do!? Or should i consider moving to Minneapolis that NYC?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 07:36 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,574,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatone View Post
Hello. I'm from Bulgaria. Next year I'm planning to move to the U.S. First i was thinking to move to Ft. Lauderdale, FL but i gave that up cause of all the storms and hurricanes, high requirements for life, plus i love the four seasons so..
Now i hesitate between Minneapolis and NYC. I have some questions about NYC!

1. Which neighbourhoods are close to Manhattan and safe.
2. I'm planning to move with a friend of mine(Also Bulgarian), so the payment of rent,taxes etc. will be easily for both of us. We both can pay $1 000 each for rent, that makes it $2 000/month. So can we find a small apartment with 2 bedrooms and 1 bathroom or something similar?
3. How are the taxes in the city? Are they very high or it depends on your job, where you live and etc..
4. Me and my friend are gonna be looking for a job in Sales/Marketing/Management/Accounting/Barman. What are the average salaries of the above listed jobs?
5. For start we plan to move in NYC (If we decide to move there) with $10 000 each. Will that be enough for a start?

Give me some tips or advices what should I do!? Or should i consider moving to Minneapolis that NYC?

Thank you!
Wow! one can write volumes in addressing all your questions about salaries for such a wide range of jobs that you mentioned - barman, sales, accounting, plus the taxes involved.

I'll leave that to others to chip in. What I will say is that if you're looking for a 2 bedroom at that budget, kindly bypass Manhattan and head to Astoria or Jackson Heights in Queens, The Bronx, or Brooklyn. Then you take a subway into Manhattan for work and play.

Welcome to NYC.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:37 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
You should know that without proper documentation (your green card, not a tourist visa) it will be difficult for you to find 'on the books' employment. That can make it difficult to find a place to live, as most landlords want proof of employment and salary. Even if you each have $10,000, that's not going to go that far in NYC.

Best of luck.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:32 AM

259 posts, read 888,763 times
You should consider Rochester, Buffalo or Syracuse. Your money will go MUCH farther.
Still in New York State and more representative of 4 seasons. (NYC does not get many "white Christmas" winters)

Old 09-16-2008, 07:38 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,574,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
You should know that without proper documentation (your green card, not a tourist visa) it will be difficult for you to find 'on the books' employment. That can make it difficult to find a place to live, as most landlords want proof of employment and salary. Even if you each have $10,000, that's not going to go that far in NYC.

Best of luck.
Very good, realistic info . Best for them to know up front what the odds are and for them to plan accordingly.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:15 PM

5 posts, read 12,242 times
Thank you very much all! Well.. I guess I'll try Minneapolis and after some years maybe I'll consider moving to NYC. Best wishes from me!

PS: Moderators can close the thread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City