Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 08:25 AM

396 posts, read 1,008,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I teach right off the 170th st stop on the 4. I was surprised to find out another teacher lives right there in the neighborhood. So it isn't only poor people. I sometimes see guys dressed really nice in suits also.
Just because you're poor doesn't mean you can't dress well. I don't think most people would look and me and guess that I live in the South Bronx by my wardrobe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 08:28 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha83 View Post
Just because you're poor doesn't mean you can't dress well. I don't think most people would look and me and guess that I live in the South Bronx by my wardrobe.

I never said that poor people don't dress well My point is that not everyone is poor who lives in that area. If you've read my past posts about the Bronx, you can see I have nothing against poor people.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:29 AM

Quote:
I knew it wasn't Morrisania, but it's in the general area of the south Bronx, so I thought I would just give some opinions based on my experience. Morrisania is really that much worse? I thought a lot of areas in the Bronx didn't have vacant lots/buildings anymore. Can anyone post pictures of some of these places in Morrisania?
In my mind, once you pass Jerome Avenue to the west, that's the West Bronx. I think of the South Bronx more of up the hill from Jerome. The east side of the Concourse is really a lot poorer and in much worse shape. If you walk from most streets on the Concourse east, east block is a little bit shabbier and a little poorer and more dangerous (at least that system works here in the 160s pretty much). Once you get down the hill to like Findlay, Clay, Webster, that can be pretty darn rough.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:40 AM

Quote:
I never said that poor people don't dress well My point is that not everyone is poor who lives in that area. If you've read my past posts about the Bronx, you can see I have nothing against poor people.
No offense, but I think you need to spend a little bit of time walking around and getting to know the neighborhood. Most people live in these neighborhoods not because they want to, but because that is all they can afford. These are some of the poorest neighborhoods in NYC, if not the country (FYI, a tidbit: the Bronx is the poorest county in the US). A lot of people have that attitude over here that if you can't live in a more affluent area, at least you can dress and carry yourself with some dignity. I'm not sure what you know of the neighborhoods here, but I can assure you that there are very few people you'd consider middle-class here. Ex., I'm probably one of the "richest" people on my block by neighborhood standards, but compared to others outside the South Bronx, I am still relatively lower-income.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:33 AM

You're taking what I was saying the wrong way. All I said is that not everyone who lives there is poor. My co-worker lives right by the school we teach in, and since she's near retirement, she must make around 100k a year. I know that a lot of the people who live there only are there because they can't afford to move. I've spoken to countless parents who say that.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:01 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,859,360 times
Rachael I don't want to speak for the poster Sha83 but I think the reason that we are misunderstanding you is that you seem to lump the entire South Bronx in the same catagory. We are speaking about Morrisania not the West Bronx where you teach. You cannot compare the 2 areas. There is no comparison, and it is of no use to keep debating this. The area where you teach has been revived. It may have some social problems but the residents have the ability to come together and solve the problems.

I think that you have a mostly Dominican population there that has spilled over from Washington Heights and Inwood. Dominican people usually come to the US with education and skills, they have the ability to work and start businesses as soon, or not long after they come to the US. Some of them held high social positions in DR and had to start over here. So your area already has educated, mixed income people. Most of the homes still stand and are in very good shape, the apt buildings that may have been torched at one time have been rehabilitated.

Morrisania on the other hand was a mostly Jewish and Black neighborhood until about 1950. Colin Powell grew up there and many others. Some of my friends parents have class school pictures taken in the 1940's and you can see the mixture. Those people started moving out the area became mostly Black and Puerto Rican. It was still middle class though. Once those people started moving out most rented their homes and moved further up in the Bronx or Westchester. In the late 60's and throughout the 70's these home owners starting moving out as well then the fires started.

The projects were built in the late 1950's and early 1960's.

Your comparisons to the 2 areas are like apples and oranges. Even though they are both in the Southern Bronx.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:07 AM

34,081 posts, read 47,278,015 times
i think rachael was misunderstood. she meant no ill will, she was just surprised by the demographic of the area where her school is located. teachers can also learn, cant they?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-19-2008, 10:13 AM
DAS

^ Sure and I mean no harm either. She has never been to Morrisania. That is why I am taking the time to explain to her. I know others may think the same way that have never been there.

Those Charlotte St photos from the past to the present is very misleading that is only about 2 square blocks and they make it look like the entire area has been revived.

Or you can reference the projects and make it sound like the whole thing is one big projects. Either way it is incorrect and gives the wrong impressions. But no harm here as well.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:24 AM
DAS

I just want to add that I have great respect for teachers it is one of the most honorable professions a person can choose. Rachael84 has chosen to go out of her element and teach in the South Bronx. She is influencing young lives everyday, this is a wonderful thing. The more she knows about her area and the people in it the better for her and them. You cannot learn everything just from statistical reports, it won't tell you the history.

I hope she goes over to 167th St and Jerome and catches the BX 35 going East and rides until the last stop it will put her near the 2 and 5 train which should be able to link her to where she would need to go. This way she can see the area for herself.

Last edited by DAS; 09-19-2008 at 10:47 AM..

Old 09-19-2008, 12:16 PM

I'm confused--I know what consists of the term the "south Bronx" and geographically the "south Bronx"--but some people say that the Highbridge area that I teach in isn't the south Bronx, and some say it is. I guess that's where I get confused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City