Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 12:00 PM

9 posts, read 66,029 times

Advertisements

Definitely dead or at least in QUeens and Manhattan. Moderator cut: Off topic So if you're a native new yorker living in Queens chances are the person you're talking to wanst born here. Moderator cut: Off topic Then take the % of people who werent born in Nyc who live in Queens. You'll be lucky if 1/8 people who live in Queens have a Ny accent. More than half of the people who live in QUeens can barely speak english let alone have a new york accent.

Moderator cut: Racist

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-08-2009 at 07:40 PM.. Reason: Racist comments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 06:35 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,854,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlushingQwnz View Post
Definitely dead or at least in QUeens and Manhattan. Moderator cut: Off topic So if you're a native new yorker living in Queens chances are the person you're talking to wanst born here. Moderator cut: Off topic Then take the % of people who werent born in Nyc who live in Queens. You'll be lucky if 1/8 people who live in Queens have a Ny accent. More than half of the people who live in QUeens can barely speak english let alone have a new york accent.

Moderator cut: Racist

That's definitely true. Well, it's really always been like that (the diversity). But many more transplants are moving here compared to 20-30 years ago. I've NEVER met another native of Queens since I moved back here (well, besides my landlord). It's sad. I hate to say it, but I get along better with native NYers. I don't know, I guess we have the same personality type or something. It's rare to hear a true NY accent anymore.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-08-2009 at 07:41 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 06-08-2009, 10:38 PM

84 posts, read 282,964 times
It's not dead in any borough when there's still hundreds of thousands who speak with the accent.... Maybe it's dwindled in Manhattan, but it's not dead.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:53 PM
HCC

88 posts, read 289,553 times
There are distinct accents even within the so-called NY accent. I live in Brooklyn, not a native and from neighborhood to neighborhood it is different. People in Besonhurst sound tough and Italian while people in Midwood sound Yiddishe and people in Park Slope sound like educated Midwesterners. With the crazy influx of people that have moved here in the last 10 years with Sex and the City in their eyes, the majority of Manhattanites sound like they could be from anywhere USA. Head up to "da Bronx" and you here an altogether accent. Growing up in the Midwest, I guess what I thought of as a NY accent, turns out to be spoken mostly in Long Island. The accent is fading, but still exists mostly amongst those born and raised in the outer boroughs.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:00 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,664,787 times
I believe that the NY accent is changing due to the influx of the immigrants from different places. So the NY accent will always be there, but it is going to be a different NY accent. This is what I think.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:08 AM

304 posts, read 1,300,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
I believe that the NY accent is changing due to the influx of the immigrants from different places. So the NY accent will always be there, but it is going to be a different NY accent. This is what I think.
I agree, but
-- Immigrants might not have all _that_ much influence: By the time their kids get through college or into careers, they've adopted some form of New York-speak or quasi-Standard American English.
It's not like 1890s-to-WWII, when options were limited and you mostly hung out with your own folks.
-- The influx of Midwest/West Coasters, plus mass-media saturation, also are making a difference: I'm hearing more "NY accents" that actually are just generic U.S. English, but with NYC-isms thrown in (or with structure that's clearly from another language).

And I think the Old Brooklyn (or boroughs) deze-dem-doze thing is on the way out.
I hadn't heard a really, _really_, real Old Bklyn accent in ages ... until a few weeks ago, when I overheard a guy from Bensonhurst yelling on his cell phone. His Brooklynese was so thick that it made me do a serious heads-up: Though I'm a native NYCer, and am prettty adept at linguistics, I had no _clue_ re: what he was saying at first -- it had the cadence of English, but no recognizable words, just a glop of run-together sounds.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:56 PM

1,482 posts, read 3,119,058 times
All you have to do is listen to the State Senate to hear some of the accents!

But I think the biggest difference now is not only people moving in, but the exposure of our youth to different media through television.

You still get the racial and ethnic accents coming through in some areas, but in most cases that are reduced by the proximity to so many different cultures and peoples.

The funny thing is, most of the accents they attribute to both NYC AND NJ can be found more prevalently in the outer boroughs and LI.

NJ USED to have a heavier accent akin to Fran Dresher (LI heavy)but I think NJ has had more dispersion in the last 10/20 years or so. You still hear smatterings of it, but I think it was more preserved in LI.....

my 2½¢

Old 06-09-2009, 03:19 PM

10,168 posts, read 20,715,393 times
I still have it, but it is something that I notice less of in NYC as there are more out of towners and immigrants moving in with each passing year.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:54 AM

536 posts, read 2,343,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I noticed this immediately when I moved here. However, people I know from central/north New Jersey pretty much ALL say in line, as well as most people from Long Island that I know. I've noticed that people from the boroughs and from Westchester tend to say on line, though. I wonder why. I have never heard this difference anywhere else in the Anglophone world so it was completely new to me!
i'm originally from LI and everyone i know from there says on line. or in a store, cashier calls "next on line." probably depends on class, what part of the island, etc.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:09 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,700,449 times
i've noticed that more ppl pronounce call, fall, all like a midwesterner or a person from cali...

its not even a class thing anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City