Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 07:55 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,792,545 times

Advertisements

I was just strolling through the Chicago Forum and read an interesting thread comparing gangs from NYC, Chicago, and L.A.
What is the consensus here, who does have the largest gang problem.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:59 PM

629 posts, read 901,474 times
NYC is now considered to be the "safest big city" in America, so I'd say that LA and Chicago have bigger gang problems than NYC. Especially in terms of murders.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by welder View Post
NYC is now considered to be the "safest big city" in America, so I'd say that LA and Chicago have bigger gang problems than NYC. Especially in terms of murders.
Yeah, check this site out:
[ CHICAGOGANGS.ORG ] CHICAGO GANG INFORMATION WEBSITE

Old 09-19-2008, 08:26 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,335,406 times
LA has the worst gang problem, it dwarfs chitowns

they are having a giant race war going on, chitown and NYC do not have

Old 09-19-2008, 08:42 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,049,253 times
1. Los Angeles
2. Chicago
(gap)
3. New York

NYC has alot more drug murders however.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
1. Los Angeles
2. Chicago
(gap)
3. New York

NYC has alot more drug murders however.
LOL, You NYC'ers, and your need to be number one in everything! LOL Some of you guys crack me up. I would say that MOST the murders around the country are over DRUGS, one way or another. Alot of it has to do with the 'turf' that drugs are sold on. To say that NYC leads in "drug murders", I'd have to disagree.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:34 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
I don't know about chicago, but LA wins the gang problem hands down. NO OTHER CITY IN THE COUNTRY CAN COMPARE.

And trust, it's NOTHING TO BE PROUD OF.

They have approximately 8,000 gangs/gangmembers (or more). Majority of them latino. There is NOT a huge black population in Los Angeles. Blacks are concentrated in certain areas, but it's nowhere near comparable to the east or south.

Being a born and bred NYer that relocated to LA about five years ago, I was literally SHOCKED to how backwoods this place is. They are literally 20 years behind NY (and the rest of the country) in EVERYTHING.

Don't believe the hype you see on TV. This place is 80% latino, then there's the "rest of us". Americans are the minority. Believe that.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:37 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,049,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by welder View Post
LOL, You NYC'ers, and your need to be number one in everything! LOL Some of you guys crack me up. I would say that MOST the murders around the country are over DRUGS, one way or another. Alot of it has to do with the 'turf' that drugs are sold on. To say that NYC leads in "drug murders", I'd have to disagree.
I LOL back at you. Drinking that safest big city kool aid? The fact is that more of our murders are commited because of drugs than in Chicago and LA. In other words, LA and Chicago have alot of gang related homicides. Virtually all of NYC's homicides are on the drug tip. While LA and Chi were known for street gangs, NYC has always been a city dominated by drug/block crews.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I don't know about chicago, but LA wins the gang problem hands down. NO OTHER CITY IN THE COUNTRY CAN COMPARE.

And trust, it's NOTHING TO BE PROUD OF.

They have approximately 8,000 gangs/gangmembers (or more). Majority of them latino. There is NOT a huge black population in Los Angeles. Blacks are concentrated in certain areas, but it's nowhere near comparable to the east or south.

Being a born and bred NYer that relocated to LA about five years ago, I was literally SHOCKED to how backwoods this place is. They are literally 20 years behind NY (and the rest of the country) in EVERYTHING.

Don't believe the hype you see on TV. This place is 80% latino, then there's the "rest of us". Americans are the minority. Believe that.
I've been saying that for a long time that L.A. really (in general) Waaaaaaaaaay behind!!! Rep to you!!!

Old 09-19-2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I LOL back at you. Drinking that safest big city kool aid? The fact is that more of our murders are commited because of drugs than in Chicago and LA. In other words, LA and Chicago have alot of gang related homicides. Virtually all of NYC's homicides are on the drug tip. While LA and Chi were known for street gangs, NYC has always been a city dominated by drug/block crews.
LOL, And what are ALL them gangs beefing over? What corners that they're allowed to set up their Burrito stands on? "Drug turf"! Knocking the COMPETITION off is the name of the gang. Kool aid? What, now you're going to dispute safer NYC's crime stats?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City