Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 12:29 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times

Advertisements

Hm...SuperMario you claimed to have moved to the Bronx and said you were not Native...that is where I get it from. As for me not caring about the Bronx...my roots are deeper than most...I am a 3rd generation Mott Haven resident who is STILL living in the same house I was raised in, my parents were raised in AND my grandparents lived in when they came to the mainland. I have the ability to live anywhere of my choosing, but I CHOOSE to stay to make things better, and NOT RUN like so many other before me. My SOLE interest in staying in Mott Haven is not to get rich...I live here b/c it is where I can afford to live AND b/c it is my home, always has been, always will be. I will be here long after you too run away..that is your plan as you indicated. As a result, I am PAINFULLY aware of my surroundings, the demographics, and all that plagues our communities...I live it everyday, as do my uncles, aunts, cousins, neighbors, friends, and everyone else. I am aware of the struggles that people go through day in and day out..I have those struggles too..what makes you think I don't or that me, my family, my friends, my neighbors are somehow immune to it? I stay confined to my house and job and you somehow "live it"? Huh? If you mean I don't hang out with the drug dealers at 4am in the projects...then yeah you are right, you "live it" and I don't. Maybe that is your problem....stop "living it" and maybe you can see past the problems and see the changes that are happening right under your nose. So long as you keep your head down, and surround yourself with the scum of your community, you will maintain your very negative perspective. And what does me being Hispanic have to do with anything? I am a human being and I live my life as such...being Hispanic has nothing to do with the criminals, thugs, losers, and low-lives that infest our communities. I am devoted to my community and its residents and choose to stay to make things better...that is what a HUMAN BEING does, being Hispanic has nothing to do with it....the "uncle Tom" logic only works with the thugs. How about you stop pretending to be "real" and start speaking the truth: you agenda is merely to scare people away, white people to be exact, because after all, white people's sole purpose in life is to torment color people...at least that is what you believe. If you want to talk about dangers....let's talk about dangers. But if that is ALL you want to talk about...then that is where we will disagree and I will talk about everything else that is happening in our GREAT borough that is the Bronx! As for your criminal stats...here are my comments: -I never said they ARE revitalized..I said that they are revitalizING! And I am doing my best to make things better...you should try putting down the keyboard and helping instead of complaining. -Here is my list: Hub beautification project just complete, with new trees, large planters, new medians, and upgraded plaza. New Park, Concrete Plant Park, set to open in Fall as part of the Bronx Greenway along the Bronx River. Hunts Point Avenue set to be beautifed and upgraded this Fall with a new median, trees, planters, and street lighting. New Gateway Center set to open next summer ahead of schedule to coincide with the new Yankee Stadium. The new gateway center will feature major retailers like Marshalls, Home Depot, Toyrs R Us, Bed, Bath & Beyond as well as Red Lobster and Applebee's among others. 100 new market rate condos being built on Willis Avenue and Bruckner Blvd, with 10,000 sf of retail and parking on the ground level. The Hub will be seeing a huge new development of market rate and subsidized condos in 2 towers, a 16 screen movie theater, 20,000 sf supermarket, and 100,000 sf of additional commercial and retail space..currently in the planning stage. The developer (the Related Companies, also building the Gateway Center) is acquiring the vacant lots from the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 12:38 PM

391 posts, read 1,249,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
TunaBoy you must be joking. Please bring me the people who think the Bronx is Beverly Hills....or even show me the posts of people claiming it is anything remotely close to Beverly Hills. And even if this outrageous statement were true and we had millions somehow "believeing" that the Bronx was Beverly Hills...guess what would happen? They would go to the bronx and in 2 seconds flat on the train ride to the Bronx they would know the truth....so let's be real. SuperMario has solely one agenda...and that's to maintain whitey out of "his" borough and keep cheap rent. That's not "real"...that's str8 BS. He is not even from the Bronx....and Tuna..neither are you..although you no doubt are quite good at reading crime stats and creating a opinion you believe as "fact." The Bronx is changing DESPITE the problems..and here is another note of interest: The Hub just completed a really cool beautification project. They put down brand new medians for people crossing the street which will include Trees and plants, and they have already but down a bunch of large planters with beautiful plants on the street, as well as enhanced the plaza and added bike lanes for the community. Some pics to come shortly of the cool beautification.
The bronx/beverly hills comparison was to prove a point. There are both positives and negatives of the bronx which are both sources of good information. Just talking about the positives is gonna give an inaccurate portrayal. I dont know what "good" at reading crime stats is supposed to imply. Yes, crime stats are important pieces of information and are inarguable FACTS. If there are a large number of homicides in an area, my opinion of that area will not be favorable, plain and simple. Supermario is just playing street reporter and talking about what is going on in the streets. Are you going to get defensive every time information about a crime is revealed? What if a serial killer was in the nieghborhood? Don't you think it would be important for people to know? You would probably want to hide that as well. Do your own thing and stop bashing people for sharing useful information.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:42 PM

I think it is very important for people to know BOTH sides..and that is what I am doing..but somehow that is viewed as "not being real" or somehow untruthful, yet when someone ONLY focuses on the negative it is seen as "real" or "playing street reporter." Guess what? Hanging out with the homeys until 4 am is not being a street reporter..it is hanging out with the homeys and nothing more. If you want to give someone credit for discussing whats going on in the community, and not JUST what criminals are thinking that day, you should ignore SuperMario and anyone else who ONLY talks about crime, and believs the Bronx is a ****hole. I will continue to contest his WRONG assertions about the Bronx so long as he continues his baised quest to keep people out by playing on people's fears and scaring them. What he is doing is bringing his problems onto the board and playing them up as the Bronx's problems. Yeah I get it..he is extremely poor, lives surrounded by people who are equally or more poor, and he surrounds himself with thugs and the negative element..so it makes sense that all he will talk about is the negative. Unfortunately, that is not "real"...what is "real" is somewhat that can speak to BOTH sides of the Bronx and provide reasonable and fair assessment of its current state, changes occurring, and enough knowledge about the borough to provide helpful and reasonable opinions. Unfortunately, he, along with many others who live this lifestyle, are incapable of discussing both sides, as they only know 1 side..the negative. It is sad, but maybe if he spent less time with "the homies until 4am" and more time caring about his community, he would be able to see what is happening all around him. Or maybe it is just better to do nothing, complain, scare people, and air your social and financial problems on city-data? The reality is, nobody thinks the Bronx is perfect, utopia, Beverly Hills, pristine, heavenly, or any other such thing. And I would be the first one to challenge someone who asserts that because it is wrong. I will also challenge someone, like SuperMario, who does the opposite, who ONLY speaks to the negative because that is a wrong assessment of the borough just as much as the idea that it is perfect. I will speak of the crime and the problems, and I acknowledge those, and I acknowledge them in every community in NYC, but I also learn about the changes that are occurring in the community and educate people here about them, including the new affordable housing that is going up across the borough..and which is discussed quite a bit in the forums. I talk about the major greening initiatives that are occurring in the borough, as it is also a major topic in the city. I discuss the repositioning of the borough to its original purpose, a resource for the working/middle class, and that is something the affordable housing initiative is helping to achieve. I discuss the new faces and neighbors I see in my community as an indication of change and things to come. I discuss the community activists that are fighting to keep homeless shelters and prisons out of our communities, so people can learn and hopefully become involved. I discuss the major commercial developments that are providing new amenities, retail and commercial space for Bronx residents to shop and improve their quality of life. THAT IS REAL. But of course, SuperMario, and those like him, could care less about any of that...all that matters to them is the latest crime that happened...so how is that being fair, reasonable, balanced, or a street reporter? That is simply being negative and one sided.

Old 09-29-2008, 02:46 PM

348 posts, read 1,248,543 times
Hmmmm...I wonder just who are the ones sounding "desperate". The ONLY time some of these keep-newbies-out-of-the-Bronx types come on City Data is to talk about crime stats. How about having positive discussions, talking about good stuff going on in the Bronx and other boroughs, helping tourists figure out how to get around, provide information to those wishing to relocate, etc. etc. etc.

And sorry, none of us trying to show other sides of the Bronx are going anywhere and judging from the people I (and others with positive websites and blogs about the Bronx) meet every week, you guys are NOT in the majority. Every single Bronxite I've met (poor, middle-class, young, old, renters and property owners) are hugely pleased and say "Finally! Keep up the good work!"

And PS - Since I am a single white female living in and wandering around the Bronx (no, not in THE worst of the worst nabes, but in many you warn to stay the hell out of) and not only have I NOT been a crime statistic, but actually feel comfortable in these areas that even I thought I would be nervous about....shouldn't this sort of make people wary of what you keep saying? Or have I just been lucky these last few years?

Great posts SobroGuy!

Old 09-29-2008, 03:01 PM

I agree that the VAST majority of locals and old timers I speak to are very happy about the changes happening..not because they are getting rich...but because "it is about time." That IS the prevailing attitude here. If you actually sit and talk with the old timers they have fascinating stories about what life was like when they arrived in the 50s...there were no projects, it was all whites, jews, etc., neighborhoods were still in tact, maintained, beautiful, there was alot of hope at that time, and alot of tension as well....as we all see how "newbies" are treated and viewed by some. The old timers prefered having the mix of people in the community, as they saw it as a good thing, not a bad thing, and were sad that they left..not rejoicing. After everything that has occured over the years, to see the new faces in the borough, the old timers have a sense of "finally", not a sense of fear or resentment, although there are some that harbor some nervousness about what may happen next...old timers are not usually ones for change! It is the younger generation, those that have been so isolated, grown up in extreme poverty, and have limited interaction with the "outside world" for lack of a better word, that are the ones that are stirring the pot and scaring people away either for fun, out of fear, resentment, but mostly ignorance. I do not blame them, but I do not tolerate such behavior either, in my neighborhood nor on this board. We have all been the "newbie" in a neighborhood, whether it was us/parents/grandparents etc, and they have faced far worse than what people are experiencing today..so it is imperative that we do not repeat the same mistakes. Must we continue the cycle?

Old 09-29-2008, 03:06 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,049,253 times
You two should get a room.

When you guys start acknowledging the many problems affecting the Bronx, then we can talk. But this Bronx propaganda that you guys spread makes me sick.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:09 PM

348 posts, read 1,248,543 times
Glad to be of service...

Old 09-29-2008, 03:15 PM

Lol...if it affects you that much you should log off the computer and get back downstairs...the homies are waiting for you. Seriously though, if you wanna discuss the problems of the Bronx..I would enjoy that. If you want to just say the Bronx is a ****hole, crime-ridden, and everyone should stay away..then no...that is not a reasonable discussion..that is the rantings of a madman. As such I will challenge your statements with reality and what is happening in the borough. And as usual, anyone who actually wants to SEE for themselves, I would be happy to take time from my life to tour you through a few neighborhoods, a walking tour...so you can see and experience for yourself and come to your own conclusion. I have done this a few times already and have had very positive feedback.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:22 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
I think we can agree some of us do negative. Others do positive.

Why whine about it? There's room for all kinds of perspectives and opinions.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:34 PM

Agreed NooYowkur...I don't mind if you wanna only talk about the negative..but I am gonna call you out on it and advise people that you only talk about the negative. Feel free to open a new thread to actually DISCUSS problems in the Bronx instead of just saying the place is this or that. I actually think SuperWario is good for the forum, if we all agreed what fun would that be? I just have to keep him in check b/c when he is off the leash he tends to bite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City