Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 02:48 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,994,339 times

Advertisements

You guys have not moved very much. I wonder why you guys lurk on a movers website with such limited credentials. Looking at the responses it looks like I am in the running for the title "who controls the largest amount of citydata" on this website. Circumstances pushed me out on my own as a teen. Being broke, young and on my own led me to move often. The bright side was that when I first struck out on my own in the early to mid 1990's the outer boroughs were affordable for a young teen hustler as this time was pre-yuppie/hipster/d-bag invasion. Basement apartments could be had for $500 back then and two bedroom for $650.

My story started on Knickbocker Ave in Bushwick. The Samyn On The Green family lived in Bushwick for 80 years but we were run out by the rioting welfare parasites in 1977 when I was just a little kid. From there I lived in Flushing on and off for 19 years. Inside of this time I also had one or two year stints in Floral Park, Bellerose, Ozone Park and Whitestone. Then after Flushing there was a time in Maspeth which led to 18 months on the Astoria/LIC border. After that I was out of town for a while. When I returned to New York it was two years in Bayside which led to a return engagement in Floral Park. Then there was a short foray out of town for a while and then a triumphed return which led to less than a year in Morris Park in the Bronx. Since then I have been in my present location for over five years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 04:57 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,982,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
You guys have not moved very much. I wonder why you guys lurk on a movers website with such limited credentials. Looking at the responses it looks like I am in the running for the title "who controls the largest amount of citydata" on this website.
It's not just a movers website.. it's to find out about cities! You don't need to be moving to learn more about your own and other cities.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:21 AM

93 posts, read 263,139 times
grand central apartments, bellerose, 1960's anyone else there back then?

Old 09-23-2008, 07:31 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,077,439 times
I was born in BK, lived in CT as a kid, grew up as a teen on the UES, moved to Boston for school, then a short stint in the Heights, then to the East Village for a decade, and then to the UWS.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:35 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,077,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
You guys have not moved very much. I wonder why you guys lurk on a movers website with such limited credentials. Looking at the responses it looks like I am in the running for the title "who controls the largest amount of citydata" on this website. Circumstances pushed me out on my own as a teen. Being broke, young and on my own led me to move often. The bright side was that when I first struck out on my own in the early to mid 1990's the outer boroughs were affordable for a young teen hustler as this time was pre-yuppie/hipster/d-bag invasion. Basement apartments could be had for $500 back then and two bedroom for $650.
In the 80's circumstances also had my sister and I living on our own as teens on the UES. We had our rent and utilities covered, but we were pretty much on our own other than that. We figured out how to get by but it was a wild time. By 1991 I found a studio on East 14th by Ave A for $428 per month. When I left in 1999 I was only paying $520 per month.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:29 AM

155 posts, read 585,618 times
I grew up in Lindenwood, an area in Howard Beach, Queens.

Since 1991 I have been living in the West Village

Old 09-24-2008, 12:48 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,779,620 times
Riverdale

Old 09-24-2008, 07:17 PM

47 posts, read 163,209 times
Elmhurst and Sunnyside

Old 09-25-2008, 09:55 AM

10,054 posts, read 14,418,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jax78 View Post
Sooo for those born in NY, what part of NY is your family from? What parts have you lived in??

For those who moved to NY, how old were you when you moved here? What parts have you lived in?

My family is from Bushwick, Marine Park, and extended family lived in Middle Village.

I grew up in Long Island, close to the Queens border. Lived in the UES, and currently live in Astoria.
I lived in the Williamsburg neighborhood of Brooklyn, from April 2001 until April 2006...5 years exactly. I can't wait to move back to the city in a few years from now. I live in Stamford, CT now.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:09 AM

52 posts, read 172,526 times
Stewart Manor
Garden City
(both as a kid)

Woodside
Gravesend, Bklyn
Long Beach

Now because of work I'm in NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City