Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 03:10 PM

22 posts, read 105,467 times

Advertisements

I'm getting so much conflicting info on this board (which I've been reading a couple hours a day for months now), and I'm starting to get discouraged about my hopes of moving to NYC. I'm kind of wondering if ignorance would've been a better bet.

I want to live in NYC. I don't need much space, as I'm showing up with a couple suitcases and a guitar. I've been looking on craigslist and other sites for a room to rent. I can afford 800 a month.

I'll be showing up with $3000. I'm going to get a job bartending/waiting tables. I've never had to look for more for than a week to get a job serving; I ace interviews, hit the pavement hard, and had pages of reccomendations from previous employers. I work hard, and I can easily average 100 a night even on bad weeks.

I've been to New York a few times, Brooklyn only once, during the day. Walked for hours with my little sister. Wasn't scared once. Sure, I saw lots of hispanics drinking on corners in some spots, but I'm from SoCal. I'm used to it. Hell, I've had a forty with these kinda cats before. But I've never been there at night.

I'm flying to CT Oct. 22nd, where my mom lives, so I'll be able to scope things out closer once I get there.

My Q's:

Is it reasonable to find a room for rent with this kind of budget?

Should I really be scared of being a young white guy at night in these kind of areas? I'll be coming home late at night from work, with cash on me. Should I take a taxi every night? Even then, am I not safe?

Thanks for reading. I didn't plan for it to be to be this long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 03:18 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_different View Post
Is it reasonable to find a room for rent with this kind of budget?

Should I really be scared of being a young white guy at night in these kind of areas? I'll be coming home late at night from work, with cash on me. Should I take a taxi every night? Even then, am I not safe?

#1. Yes

#2. No, unless you get a room in a very dangerous part of Brooklyn, but there are plenty of parts where you can get a room for $800 that are pretty much fine.

#3. No, you don't need to take a taxi every night unless you end up in a very bad area.

Some good areas (safe) in your budget might be Kensington, Ditmas Park, Bay Ridge.

Some other areas that are still probably fine (though less "safe" - whatever that means to you - than above) are parts of Flatbush, Prospect Lefferts Gardens, Prospect Heights, East Williamsburg, Clinton Hill.

Have you been looking at craigslist for shares in Brooklyn under $800? See anything that looks good?

Old 09-21-2008, 03:29 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,984,231 times
Your problem is that a lot of the people renting out apartments want to see a proof of income now, and you don't really have one. Hope that you don't have to show that.

Old 09-21-2008, 03:36 PM

AK -that's true- also it would seem like most of the $3000 will go towards first, last and security ($2400) leaving him with only $600 left over.

Maybe he should look for a cheaper room - say $600 per month, possibly in Queens since this kind of budget is tight in many parts of Brooklyn.

Or save at least another $2000 before coming.

Old 09-21-2008, 03:39 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,791,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
#1. Yes

#2. No, unless you get a room in a very dangerous part of Brooklyn, but there are plenty of parts where you can get a room for $800 that are pretty much fine.

#3. No, you don't need to take a taxi every night unless you end up in a very bad area.

Some good areas (safe) in your budget might be Kensington, Ditmas Park, Bay Ridge.

Some other areas that are still probably fine (though less "safe" - whatever that means to you - than above) are parts of Flatbush, Prospect Lefferts Gardens, Prospect Heights, East Williamsburg, Clinton Hill.

Have you been looking at craigslist for shares in Brooklyn under $800? See anything that looks good?
Henna, you guys turned me on to Ridgewood, that seems a good possibility

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
Would it be possible to stay with your mother for a while in CT before jumping into NYC on your own? You could get a job in the city and commute via MetroNorth for a couple of months, both to get the proof of income, and to save a little more money for the eventual move, and you'd be able to explore areas without being pressured to decide in a shorter time frame.

1,915 posts, read 7,984,231 times
I'd lean more to saving a lot more money before going to someplace even cheaper! It's always good to have extra money anyway, just in case, he can't get a job right away, for food, etc.

Old 09-21-2008, 03:47 PM

467 posts, read 1,684,435 times
I was going to suggest what BMW said. If it's possible, live with your mom; you could get a job, save more money, and get yourself settled more before moving to NYC. Also, I would try to come here with more than 3,000.

You can find a place for $800 in Queens or BK, but you will be sharing an apt, and it will probably be small. You said you're cool with that, so that's good. It's doable.

Keep looking on Craigslist. If you find something that looks good, you can tell us the address/area and we can let you know about safety. Most places in Queens I feel safe walking around day or night. There are just a few areas I would avoid.

Old 09-21-2008, 04:17 PM

22 posts, read 105,467 times
Thanks guys.

The only thing about staying with my mom is that she lives in terryville. Kind of distant from public trans. I wouldn't mind being on metro north for a decent amount of time everyday, I'm just not sure how I could get to and from my mom's house.

About the deposit, I noticed a few that didn't require any deposit, and were 600 a month. I figure I may be able to tell them up front I don't have a job, here's three months rent. If I don't have a job in two months, keep the deposit. Go back to CT and replan.

Two of those places were in Jackson Heights, one was Bed-Stuy.

Would it be significantly more difficult finding a job waiting tables there? Every restaraunt I've ever worked at NEVER stopped hiring. usually at least a dozen people a month were hired, fired, or quit. And in every one, employers loved the hungry cats (like me) that had no problem working late or taking twice as much tables as everyone else.

Again, thanks a lot guys.

Old 09-21-2008, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_different View Post
Thanks guys.

The only thing about staying with my mom is that she lives in terryville. Kind of distant from public trans. I wouldn't mind being on metro north for a decent amount of time everyday, I'm just not sure how I could get to and from my mom's house.

About the deposit, I noticed a few that didn't require any deposit, and were 600 a month. I figure I may be able to tell them up front I don't have a job, here's three months rent. If I don't have a job in two months, keep the deposit. Go back to CT and replan.

Two of those places were in Jackson Heights, one was Bed-Stuy.

Would it be significantly more difficult finding a job waiting tables there? Every restaraunt I've ever worked at NEVER stopped hiring. usually at least a dozen people a month were hired, fired, or quit. And in every one, employers loved the hungry cats (like me) that had no problem working late or taking twice as much tables as everyone else.

Again, thanks a lot guys.
I see nothing wrong with trying to negotiate re: deposits and such. It seems like you do think on your feet.

I live in Jackson Heights and I know that it's generally a good value and also generally safer than similarly priced - and even higher-priced nabes in Brooklyn. It also tends to be quite convenient to midtown so if you end up working at a place in midtown your commute will be reasonable.
If Brooklyn is your true love then you can always move there later after you get things settled and a bit more $$ in the bank.

I had a friend who had some bartending/waiting table experience when she moved here initially. She did encounter alot of places that wanted "New York" experience but she was persistent and did find a couple a things after not THAT long. I can't remember how long it was since this was a few years ago, but you should be prepared to get that "where is your NYC experience" line.

I think you will be OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City