Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2008, 03:56 PM

467 posts, read 1,684,498 times

Advertisements

Alright, so I am hearing different things on the average price for a 1 bedroom. I am looking to get a place on my own (or maybe with the man). I want a 1 b/r or a 2 b/r. I need to be on either the EFRVG7 lines. Mainly I've been looking in the following areas: Sunnyside, Woodside, Forest Hills, Rego Park, Kew Gardens. I would also look in Astoria where I currently live, but I don't think I can afford it. I would live in Jackson Heights, but I teach there and would rather not be that close to my students.

So looking around and talking to brokers, they said 1 b/r in Astoria start at 1700. 1 b/r in Rego Park and Forest Hills are around 1500+.

However, I saw a nice place in Rego Park for 1350. I also saw a nice 2 b/r for 1600. I know someone who lives in a 3 b/r in Middle Village for 1550!!! Is it really that much cheaper in Middle Village?

What do you think are the average prices for 1 or 2 b/r in the areas I listed above?? 1500 for a 1 b/r just seems too much!! I also don't want to live in a closet, as my place now is very big.

Input?? THANKS!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 04:57 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,572,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jax78 View Post
Alright, so I am hearing different things on the average price for a 1 bedroom. I am looking to get a place on my own (or maybe with the man). I want a 1 b/r or a 2 b/r. I need to be on either the EFRVG7 lines. Mainly I've been looking in the following areas: Sunnyside, Woodside, Forest Hills, Rego Park, Kew Gardens. I would also look in Astoria where I currently live, but I don't think I can afford it. I would live in Jackson Heights, but I teach there and would rather not be that close to my students.

So looking around and talking to brokers, they said 1 b/r in Astoria start at 1700. 1 b/r in Rego Park and Forest Hills are around 1500+.

However, I saw a nice place in Rego Park for 1350. I also saw a nice 2 b/r for 1600. I know someone who lives in a 3 b/r in Middle Village for 1550!!! Is it really that much cheaper in Middle Village?

What do you think are the average prices for 1 or 2 b/r in the areas I listed above?? 1500 for a 1 b/r just seems too much!! I also don't want to live in a closet, as my place now is very big.

Input?? THANKS!!
Hi jax, unfortunately the price quotes are pretty accurate except for Astoria - I'd say about the same as Forest Hills for a 1 b/r. Rego Park and Kew Gradens will be about $1350 for a 1 b/r. The reason Middle Village is cheaper is that the public transportation options aren't as good as Astoria, Jackson Heights. Forest Hills, Rego Park, Kew Gardens, Sunnyside, Woodside.

The reason for the skyrocketing rents is that quite a few individuals who would have bought a co-op, condo, house are choosing to rent instead as home prices in Queens and in NYC in general - except for Staten Island - have not followed the national trend of price declines.

It is a tough market there in Queens right now. I'd say for better areas/buildings your quote for a 1 b/r is good at $1500 in Forest Hills, less in Rego Park and Kew Gardens and about the same as Astoria and J.H. Figure about $1700-$2100 for a 2 b/r in forementioned areas.

Old 09-21-2008, 05:03 PM

Thanks Miles. Just making sure my research is accurate. Yeah, I figured the rents are high because people can't buy right now.

I wonder if it's worth it to get into Middle Village. I'd have the bus. Thanks again!

Old 09-21-2008, 05:10 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,572,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jax78 View Post
Thanks Miles. Just making sure my research is accurate. Yeah, I figured the rents are high because people can't buy right now.

I wonder if it's worth it to get into Middle Village. I'd have the bus. Thanks again!
jax, it's nice having a 2 b/r if you're prepared for the tradeoff - bus to train or in your case, maybe bus to work? And in the winter that's a little tough. But people do it all the time. I think that Middle Village is also a nice suburban area but amenities aren't as fantastic as J.H., Astoria, Forest Hills, etc.

BTW, if you can swing the current rents and still save a little, don't think that it's "throwing money" away. Even with high rents currently, many believe tht it's better to rent vs buy right now in Queens and other parts of the city.

Old 09-21-2008, 05:41 PM

541 posts, read 1,902,676 times
I pay 1325 for a pretty big 1Br in Sunnyside. I just moved in a month ago when I was doing my search I found this to be a typical price. My apartment was 1350, but I managed to talk them down to 1325. Every little discount helps!

Old 09-21-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MStant1 View Post
I pay 1325 for a pretty big 1Br in Sunnyside. I just moved in a month ago when I was doing my search I found this to be a typical price. My apartment was 1350, but I managed to talk them down to 1325. Every little discount helps!

Would you mind telling me the real estate agency you went through?? You can PM me. Or did you find it on craigslist? The only ones I saw in Sunnyside so far were 1400-1500.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:53 PM

I used rent-direct.com. You pay like 200-300 bucks (Don't remember exactly how much) and it gives you access to different apartments for like 90 days. You go directly through landlords and management companies in order to bypass having to pay a broker fee. Its more leg work, but in the end I think its worth it to save 3000-5000 bucks on broker's fees.

I love my apartment its pretty big, very convenient and its only a block from the 40th street station for the 7. I will say, however, that my building leaves a little to be desired....so you might have to sacrifice the building to get the apartment you want for the right price.

Old 09-21-2008, 10:05 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
A friend also recently (within the past 6 months I think) got a one-bedroom apartment in Sunnyside right near the 40th st. stop for $1000 a month. She went through a broker so must have paid a fee. Her apartment also leaves something to be desired, according to her, but I haven't seen it so don't know what compromise she made.

Don't know the broker name, sorry, but if I find out I can PM you.

Old 09-21-2008, 10:17 PM

Thanks guys. Wow $1000 in Sunnyside? I wonder if the place is really small. Yeah, PM me if you know the broker. Thanks again.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:25 AM

My apartment is really nice its just the building that is unimpressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City