Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 02:01 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,632,267 times

Advertisements

Sammy has a point to a degree. Yankee Stadium is still in good shape. A few nuts and bolts, some elbow greese, sheetrock and spackle and she is good as new. Now, Shea on the other hand needs to be torn down. I love Shea to death, but it is time for a new park. This city and Organization made a mistake by bringing down this old House. I have some friends who are Yanks fans and they fear this team could be cursed because of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 02:22 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,983,351 times
The new Yankees stadium doesn't even look that great.. Shea is really ugly and oversized; I really like the new CitiField.. I pass it everyday on the way to school.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:49 PM

730 posts, read 2,053,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
The new Yankees stadium doesn't even look that great.. Shea is really ugly and oversized; I really like the new CitiField.. I pass it everyday on the way to school.
Same here. I actually like CitiField over the New Yankee Stadium. It has a different feel than Shea Stadium.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:47 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,769,591 times
I like Shea Stadium. Shea, RFK and Dodger are the Jet Age stadiums. Very cool. Only problem with Shea is that there is no non-stadium bar for a pregame tank up. Glug, glug.

As for Steinbrenner not being at the game, he has never hid his dislike for Yankee Stadium.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:20 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,291,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
When is the stadium being torn down? I'd like to watch that.. I was watching the Packers vs. Cowboys games rather than the Yankees.
I don't really get why it should be torn down. Can't they keep it like a museum or something? I'm a Met fan but I'd think of Yankee Stadium as a bit of a landmark.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:18 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,592,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K 22 View Post
I don't really get why it should be torn down. Can't they keep it like a museum or something? I'm a Met fan but I'd think of Yankee Stadium as a bit of a landmark.
I'm also a Met fan--and I also thought of Yankee Stadium as a landmark. You can be fairly sure that the Yankee front office worried about that. If it had been officially declared by the Landmarks Commission, then they wouldn't have been able to tear it down.

Incidentally, I have a problem with the seating capacity of Citifield. The Dodgers played at Ebbets Field--smallest stadium in the National League at the time, and their inability to get a larger facility was the reason they moved out of Brooklyn. So now the Mets are deliberately putting up a stadium that's only a little larger than Ebbets Field? In a city with eight million residents. There's something going on here, but I don't think you can call it logic.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:53 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,769,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I'm also a Met fan--and I also thought of Yankee Stadium as a landmark. You can be fairly sure that the Yankee front office worried about that. If it had been officially declared by the Landmarks Commission, then they wouldn't have been able to tear it down.

Incidentally, I have a problem with the seating capacity of Citifield. The Dodgers played at Ebbets Field--smallest stadium in the National League at the time, and their inability to get a larger facility was the reason they moved out of Brooklyn. So now the Mets are deliberately putting up a stadium that's only a little larger than Ebbets Field? In a city with eight million residents. There's something going on here, but I don't think you can call it logic.
I was always under the impression that O'Malley wanted a more modern stadium in a different part of town- kind of like Steinbrenner of the last 25 years or so. As much as Brooklyn loved the Dodgers, I do not think they sold out every game. Then, as now, "Brand New" has alot of appeal.

As for seating capacity, smaller has been the trend for awhile now as parks have gone retro and away from the "donuts" or multipurpose stadiums of the 60s and 70s. Baltimore intentionally put less seating in Camden Yards than had been at Memorial and the Nationals have less than at RFK. A stadium that is baseball only will inevitably have smaller capacity and thus better views.

Of course it helps that these retro parks are in reality cloaked shopping malls, so more sources of revenue.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:56 PM

467 posts, read 1,684,273 times
I agree. Shea needed to be redone; Yankee stadium did not. Waste of dinero if you ask me. Plus, it is a landmark! I'm going to miss it.

Peace out Yankee Stadium.
Attached Thumbnails
Fairwell Yankee Stadium-yankee.jpg  

Old 09-23-2008, 09:21 PM

1,865 posts, read 5,377,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
Oh, and the fact that Steinbrenner wasn't at the game last night--very telling of his lack of appreciation of history (much of which he helped create.)
Steinbrenner is sick. Believe me, if he could have,he would have been there.

BxRosie

Old 09-23-2008, 09:45 PM

1,865 posts, read 5,377,032 times
We watched the pre-game, game & post-game. Very sad indeed. DH, DS & myself misty-eyed & choked up, especially when Yogi was standing there alone on homeplate, looking out at the crowd. Imagine all the history, MLB & Yankee history, that man has seen & been a part of...incredible!

Yes, the Stadium is old & showing it's age. Just take a walk in the hallways downstairs, past the locker rooms & in the basement...but she could have been saved. There's still alot of life (& "The Spirits" ) in the Stadium. It could very easily be preserved, or at least a portion of it, as a museum or historical site. Keep the field & turn it into a ball park for the neighborhood kids. It's just sad...

We have been very fortunate. Yankee Stadium will always be a special part of my family's history. My dad was there for the 1st opening day in 1923, my parent's 1st date was to a Yankee game, DH worked the police detail there, my brother (who is a priest) had an active part in both of the Papal Masses there, my son played baseball for his 1st time on the field, I worked there for 7 seasons before moving to NC in '06 & got to experience 3 WS there. The fans are the best anywhere! We've had alot of fun & have made some GREAT memories there. It's just greed...the want of more corporate $$$....families won't be able to afford a game there...it's just sad.

The Stadium will be missed...I just want a brick from it when they tear it down.

BxRosie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City