U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2008, 04:02 PM

4,790 posts, read 14,216,870 times

Advertisements

I probably can never live in NYC... because I'm a Mechanical Engineer focused on companies that do Product Design or sell products or machinery. I'm not the type of HVAC ME that can work in Civil Eng firms in any city. Only way I can possibly work in NYC is as a Technical Writer, and I was good I never got hired by AON at the top floor of WTC or I could have been Sept 11 fodder.

Anyone know of local websites for NYC mfg jobs if they exist? Anyone heard of any mfg company around NYC?

Maybe in the future I'll just have to visit it for 2 weeks and live in my minivan using it as an RV. Aren't hotels expensive in NYC?

Well, isn't everything expensive in NYC?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 04:04 PM

7,079 posts, read 36,850,829 times
And what is your question, please?

Old 09-24-2008, 09:39 AM

274 posts, read 1,073,168 times
[quote=Jesse69;5392053]I probably can never live in NYC... because I'm a Mechanical Engineer focused on companies that do Product Design or sell products or machinery.

Anyone know of local websites for NYC mfg jobs if they exist? Anyone heard of any mfg company around NYC?

The only thing we manufacture in NYC is NYC media hype.

NYC is not an engineer-friendly place. Word to the wise, women look down on engineers in NYC.

Maybe in the future I'll just have to visit it for 2 weeks and live in my minivan using it as an RV. Aren't hotels expensive in NYC?

Yes, hotels in Manhattan are expensive. And so is parking, tolls, parking tickets, etc.

Well, isn't everything expensive in NYC?

No. Stuff like poop on the sidewalks, attitudes, etc. are free and plenty.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:46 AM

40,048 posts, read 33,160,054 times
It doesn't sound to me like your standards preclude your living in New York. Rather, it sounds like you're making excuses. If you wanted to live here, you'd find a way. And a job.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:28 AM

2,541 posts, read 10,971,520 times
a Mechanical Engineer could be an auto mechanic right?

I mean you could probably tool all the other mechs in the garages

NYC metro is now FIRE based economy so no real Manufacturing anymore

Old 09-24-2008, 01:13 PM

544 posts, read 1,481,666 times
I was (I guess I could say I still am) a mechanical engineer. I had several engineering jobs in Manhattan before I went to graduate school and a different career. You are not going to get a job in Manhattan designing jet fighters. There are others.

Utility companies hire lots of them (including at one time 20 years ago me). Many out of the city firms hire mechanical engineers for local sales/support/inspection/installation assistance, including boiler companies, fire suppression, insurance, elevators, steam generators, etc., etc. There are substantial structural engineering design firms in the city that use mechanical engineers for a host of tasks far more complex than HVAC design (i.e., powerplant design). Mechanical engineers branch out on their own as inspectors, consultants, etc. If you have the skills (particularly math), drive, and abilities, and wish to try something new, lots of financial and insurance firms hire engineers to develop risk management and quantitative trading strategies, and law firms hire them to assist in patent prosecution and litigation.

If that is not enough, there remains significant manufacturing of various types in the not too distant suburbs. When I graduated from college a long time ago, the most coveted mechanical engineering job was brewery master. There is an Anheuser Busch brewery in Newark, 15 miles away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City