U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 04:53 PM

467 posts, read 1,603,691 times

Advertisements

Do landlords require a 2 year lease often? I never heard of it.

Anyway, I found an AMAZING apt. It's huge, great price- rent stabilized, in Rego Park. I really like it, and the only downfall is it's a 2 year lease. I'm young, and who knows where I'll be in 2 years! I mean I'm sure I'll still be in Queens, but married, baby, haha who knows!!!

I mean part of me thinks it's not really a big deal, and I could always sublet if I really wanted to move, but my dad keeps saying "don't do it."
And he's making me second guess myself.

Would you take a place with a 2 year lease? What about if you were 24 years old?
And again, is this normal practice??? HELP.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 05:24 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,093,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jax78 View Post
Do landlords require a 2 year lease often? I never heard of it.

Anyway, I found an AMAZING apt. It's huge, great price- rent stabilized, in Rego Park. I really like it, and the only downfall is it's a 2 year lease. I'm young, and who knows where I'll be in 2 years! I mean I'm sure I'll still be in Queens, but married, baby, haha who knows!!!

I mean part of me thinks it's not really a big deal, and I could always sublet if I really wanted to move, but my dad keeps saying "don't do it."
And he's making me second guess myself.

Would you take a place with a 2 year lease? What about if you were 24 years old?
And again, is this normal practice??? HELP.
Hey jax, no way are we gonna help you to get that lease, get married, have a baby, ride off into the sunset and leave a trail of broken hearts behind. How dare you!!!!

A two year lease is pretty common in NYC and actually can protect you as a tenant - especially if there are no price increases within the term of the lease. Also it protects your right to occupy the apartment and such right cannot be taken away unless there's a violation of the lease agreement, etc.

If you're worried about a need to terminate the lease early, there are so many people breaking down doors to get apartments that re-renting a good apartment in NYC won't be a problem.

Oh well, there, I had to be a sucker again for a beautiful lass even though the info doesn't help my cause one bit.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:22 PM

12,344 posts, read 24,138,301 times
I think you should go for it. Miles gave good advice. It's not like you're buying an apartment that you'd have to sell.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:23 PM

Thanks you two. This is how I feel; my dad was just making me nervous, but I think he is worrying for no reason.

Thanks Miles. I know it's great that the rent wont go up the second year. Is there anyway I wouldn't be able to sublet?? I'm going to ask the landlord before I sign the lease this week, because that would suck, but I figured if I really wanted to leave, it would be easy to sublet. THANKS a bunch.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:40 PM

10,918 posts, read 28,843,613 times
I concur with Miles and Henna. Take the apartment. Two years is not a large amount of time to be in the apartment, and if you're not with child already, you're probably going to be okay with being there for the lease.

I can see what your father is saying, however, to keep your options open, but you like Queens and plan to stay. So, even if you do get married and have a child in the interim, you're not too far short of the lease period to begin looking for a place for a young family. If it were a five year lease, I'd have some reservations in recommending that you take it, but two, that shouldn't be a problem.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:44 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,093,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I concur with Miles and Henna. Take the apartment. Two years is not a large amount of time to be in the apartment, and if you're not with child already, you're probably going to be okay with being there for the lease.

I can see what your father is saying, however, to keep your options open, but you like Queens and plan to stay. So, even if you do get married and have a child in the interim, you're not too far short of the lease period to begin looking for a place for a young family. If it were a five year lease, I'd have some reservations in recommending that you take it, but two, that shouldn't be a problem.

bmw is right on the money again! Good luck jax. Enjoy Rego Park. It's a nice neighborhood and you still have easy access to Jackson Heights, Astoria, and now, Forest Hills.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:50 PM

Thanks! Yeah, I'm excited. I'm going to miss Astoria. I really love it here, but like you said, I have quick access to Astoria on the RV sooo it's all good. Thanks again. =)

Old 09-23-2008, 09:41 PM

12,344 posts, read 24,138,301 times
You should look at tenant.net for answers about rent-stabilized leases and the sublet clause. I believe rent-stablized leases are required to allow tenants to sublet but there is some strange wording in there from what I recall about the landlord being "reasonable" about allowing the sublet.

New York Basic Tenant Rights

Old 09-24-2008, 12:22 AM

878 posts, read 2,648,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
You should look at tenant.net for answers about rent-stabilized leases and the sublet clause. I believe rent-stablized leases are required to allow tenants to sublet but there is some strange wording in there from what I recall about the landlord being "reasonable" about allowing the sublet.

New York Basic Tenant Rights
Yes, I believe that a landlord cannot deny a reasonable sublet and the tenant cannot sublet for more then what they pay for the apartment. All in all, a 2 year lease is not a bad thing. Most landlords ask for the 1 year lease when you are first renting so for them to want a 2 year lease may mean that they want stable tenants in their building. Not saying a 1 year lease person is not stable but I guess for some landlords the constant flip of apartments can be aggravating.

Old 09-24-2008, 05:35 AM

1,867 posts, read 3,861,733 times
When I got a rent stablized apartment years ago and I requested a 2 year lease, they STRONGLY HINTED to take or leave their 1 year offer. Forget my legal rights. They let me know in no uncertain terms that they can just pick another of the several tenants who applied for the place. I realized very quickly that if I wanted that cheap rent and protection of the rent stabilization laws I better hop on that apartment on the terms they were offering. So depending on how great a deal it is, I would go for it and worry about whether I want to stay down the road. At that point if you want to leave early you could always let the LL know you lost your job and will be behind on your rent so will they let you out of the lease so you dont end up living there for free. If you give them enough notice, I'm sure they'll find another tenant to take over your lease. They know they can sue you for the money, but if you supposedly dont have a job anymore they cannot get blood from a stone and they wont want someone in there that cannot pay up. Use some street smarts girl .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City