Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2007, 07:45 PM
msd msd started this thread

1 posts, read 3,489 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are thinking of moving to NYC (Manhattan). I always hear that it is not a great place to raise kids? Why is that? Expense? People?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2007, 06:20 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
It's fine until the kids go to school (provided housing cost isn't an issue for you). Then it hits: unless you live in one of the few good Manhattan school districts, private school is the way to go. And that's $$$$$$$.

Old 02-12-2007, 06:41 AM

284 posts, read 1,656,926 times
It's strictly an issue of the public schools/cost of private schools. I do not have children yet, but there could be nowhere more amazing to grow up than NYC.

Old 02-12-2007, 07:54 AM

7 posts, read 114,350 times
My Advice - Dont raise your kids here.....My 8 year old was assulted in school last week by another student and ended up in the emergency room - I resacherd my schools & I live in a good area. Needless to say I am getting out before something worse happens. Best of luck,

Old 02-12-2007, 03:16 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
The experience above is atypical. My family are all in NYC, all the kids raised in Manhattan and this is a very unusual occurrence.

Old 02-12-2007, 03:31 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
I raised my children in NYC (from age 4-18) and they did well. They didn't go to private school but one of the competitive schools in the City (we were fortunate, I suppose) because I'd reckon about 4 or 5 schools in the public school system are over-average.

The up-side is the experience of living in a city like New York is an education in itself.

We had a thread not long ago with recommended good schools and their neighbourhoods. Do a check "search this forum" and you'll find it.

Good luck!

Old 02-13-2007, 12:29 AM

500 posts, read 2,859,221 times
I must agree with Viralmd: it's the price of private school that makes having children a problem here in Manhattan.

Some family members were living here in the city and had outrageously high salaries and paid no taxes because they were foreign diplomats. And yet when they faced private-school tuition for their three children, they decided it was time to go back to Europe.

Some many people think, on the other side, that growing up in Manhattan is not the best for a kid: noise, pollution, bad traffic, dangerous intersections, stress, competition, the distractions of a big city and a certain looseness of norms and rules. That's why so many parents choose to have children in a quieter place and then move the kids back to the city at age 18-20 or something.

I don't have kids and I don't want them, but I've got to say that those teenagers I see in the city look either ghetto-poor or ghetto-rich-and-prematurely-aged. Just an impression.

Old 02-13-2007, 09:23 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,134 times
Default NYC public schools leave much to be desired

But if you have babies-they will not yet be in school so it is not an issue yet. We all know it is expensive to raise kids in NYC. Manhattan is out of the question for most families below 125the street of course. There are other parts of the city you could live. Young children will not have any freedom in this day and age though. That is what makes it hard. Many people with young kids attempt to move out of the city. I am assuming you are not super rich. In a case like that I have heard of people moving back when the kids were 12-14 years of age. By then you can let them out on their own. Otherwise there are few neighborhoods where they can go out on their own earlier than that. Outer Brooklyn, Queens-but talk to people who grew up in those places and they are moving out when they have kids in most of the instances I know of. Life with young kids in NYC anywhere is not easy.

The magnet high schools in New York are good but some kids are not a good fit for them and the neighborhood school is usually lacking to horrible. The city is generally not a destination for people with young kids who are not already from there. You need to speak to someone in your income range who lives there and is already doing this to get the real deal. There are many more issues than what would be posted here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City