Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In your opinion is crime citywide up or down since 2005?
Up 89 47.85%
Down 97 52.15%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 09:48 PM

363 posts, read 817,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddhboy View Post
Some of you guys are far to frightened. Honestly, crime is LOW, especially compared to a decade ago. We're getting like half the crime that we had back then.

Regardless, this is a city that will ALWAYS get hundreds of murders a year. If these incidences are enough to scare you, especially these days when the crime is so low, then perhaps this isn't the city for you.
Your right. Crime may not be like it was in the 80's when crack was rampant BUT I do see what was described in the broken windows theory with crime today. It starts off small and escalates into a bigger problem with time. Like anything else, there are downswings and there are upswings. I believe we are in the initial stage of an upswing of crime.

Where is the quality of life crackdown we once had? When the NYPD addressed quality of life issues, crime did take a dip. The person who jumped the turnstile at the train station for example, was stopped, questioned, and if need be, a check was performed by an officer to see if the person had any outstanding warrants. There were times when that person who jumped the turnstile had a gun and when he was stopped, another gun was taken off the street as a result of addressing a minor infraction (trust me, NYC Transit will not go broke over someone jumping the turnstile).

Nowadays, I see more lushworkers (a person who will cut your pockets open with a razor blade while your sleeping) and people asking for spare change on the train than I did a year ago. Small infractions lead to bigger crimes when not addressed. This is just the beginning. Do you really believe crime continues to decline with every year that passes? If so, shouldn't we have hit the bottom then?

Old 07-07-2009, 11:28 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,198 times
There's two triple shootings these past few days one in East New York and one in Bed-Stuy. Unfortunately, this is no surprise especially since Bed-Stuy's already seen some double shootings earlier this year and the 75th precinct is always buggin out leading North Brooklyn's homocide count. I've also noticed that some lower income neighborhoods such as Brownsville, Bushwick, and Mott Haven are counting more burglaries than last year. To anyone in general, have you noticed more burglaries this year or nothing has really change?

Last edited by njnyckid; 07-07-2009 at 12:25 PM..

Old 07-07-2009, 11:35 AM

657 posts, read 1,632,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMack View Post
did you see the list chicago had 4 hoods in the top 4 and one was number two

btw cops in the bronx arent playing they shot some guy who pulled a gun on them in morissania and they shot a robber by the mcdonalds on the brucker by soundview
Oh I know, I was just saying that some parts of NYC are just as bad as some parts of Chi-town. To think differently is just insane. In all actuality, there really is NO DIFFERENCE between a #17 and a #4 worst neighborhood (when talking about the WHOLE USA). All that says to me is that both neighborhoods are EXTREMELY high crime and that your chances of getting robbed, stabbed, shot etc are basically the same (meaning REAL HIGH).

If I took a kid from the suburbs and brought him to North Lawndale, Chicago and then brought him to Brownsville, Brooklyn he would have NO IDEA which was worse. All he would say is, "Damn, both of those places are bad." My point? A bullet is the same in any bad part of Chi-town as it is in any bad part of LA, Miami, Detroit, Little Rock, NYC, Iraq, Iran, Hatti, etc.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:23 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times
Wow and you don't even hear about none this on the news.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:55 AM

657 posts, read 1,632,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Wow and you don't even hear about none this on the news.
Of course not. And now on the murder book website whereas before the guy used to keep track of all daily murders reported in mainstream media, he only chooses certain ones...Why?

I wouldn't be surprised if he got a call from Bloomberg or Kelly telling him to stop because it would hurt their juking of the stats, but that's probably too much of a conspiracy theory for some of yall .

Old 07-08-2009, 06:13 PM

346 posts, read 1,256,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akatrk View Post
Your right. Crime may not be like it was in the 80's when crack was rampant BUT I do see what was described in the broken windows theory with crime today. It starts off small and escalates into a bigger problem with time. Like anything else, there are downswings and there are upswings. I believe we are in the initial stage of an upswing of crime.

Where is the quality of life crackdown we once had? When the NYPD addressed quality of life issues, crime did take a dip. The person who jumped the turnstile at the train station for example, was stopped, questioned, and if need be, a check was performed by an officer to see if the person had any outstanding warrants. There were times when that person who jumped the turnstile had a gun and when he was stopped, another gun was taken off the street as a result of addressing a minor infraction (trust me, NYC Transit will not go broke over someone jumping the turnstile).

Nowadays, I see more lushworkers (a person who will cut your pockets open with a razor blade while your sleeping) and people asking for spare change on the train than I did a year ago. Small infractions lead to bigger crimes when not addressed. This is just the beginning. Do you really believe crime continues to decline with every year that passes? If so, shouldn't we have hit the bottom then?
Broken windows theory is a flawed premise and any improvements that Giuliani's NYPD made were already put in place by previous mayors. Besides, Giuliani was an unpopular menace in NYC before 9/11 transformed him to a national icon because of Broken Windows. Things like ticketing people for jay walking and almost running the street vendors to extinction did not aid the city's crime stats.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:27 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddhboy View Post
Broken windows theory is a flawed premise and any improvements that Giuliani's NYPD made were already put in place by previous mayors. Besides, Giuliani was an unpopular menace in NYC before 9/11 transformed him to a national icon because of Broken Windows. Things like ticketing people for jay walking and almost running the street vendors to extinction did not aid the city's crime stats.
I agree to an extent. I think there has to be some middle ground for law enforcement in big cities. Ticketing people to death for minor infractions (drinking a beer on your own stoop, parking an inch or two too far from the curb, carrying a legal sized pocket knife but clip is exposed on your pocket etc) is probably more about scaring up revenue than it is enforcing laws and preventing crime. Let's face it, a lot of law abiding citizens were shook down during the Giuliani years along with the true criminals. It was an all or nothing at all zero tolerance policy that cleaned up NYC at a time when it was really out of control.

In hindsight there may have been a better approach, but I think Giuliani gave the city what it needed at the time. With progess came a price, once the city was safe again, rents skyrocketed and many small business' suffered, especially if they were located in or around Time Square or the Lower East Side. Good for those who already owned property, bad for those who now watched home prices go out of reach. Now NYC resembles a giant overpopulated suburb more than ever, but the same can be said for most if not all big cities now.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:21 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,198 times
I just looked at gothamist and it seems like in the past 24 hours Williamsburg, of all places, has had 3 shootings. This is a bit of a surprise for a place that's been mostly gentrified.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:47 PM

346 posts, read 1,256,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
I just looked at gothamist and it seems like in the past 24 hours Williamsburg, of all places, has had 3 shootings. This is a bit of a surprise for a place that's been mostly gentrified.
I don't know about that. It was gentrified pretty bad, but you can't get kick everyone out. Now though since the neighborhood went to garbage since the trustfunder's parental aid went dry (you can find the NYTimes article on it, really confirms some suspicious you've always had on Williamsburg) you're starting to see the squatters come back (in all of the now abandoned construction sites) and yes, the criminal element with it.

While I think that crime is pretty low, I think that it WILL rise come next year when Williamsburg's situation starts happening all over the city, ESPECIALLY in Brooklyn which currently has about double the amount of stalled projects as Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City