Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 03:25 PM

4 posts, read 9,529 times

Advertisements

My friend and I are planning on moving out to nyc, but we dont know which area would be safer for us to live in. Also, we have saved about 10k a piece to start us out on our search for an apartment. What would be a good place for about 1500-2000 a month? and where would a good place to look for jobs be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 03:31 PM

105 posts, read 213,581 times
Default A place to live

Someone else will have to give you a heads up on a job.

NYC is divided into 5 boroughs including Manhattan. Manhattan is expensive allround though you could find a sublet there. If you are looking for a longer term lease try Queens first and then if you are extremely brave try the Bronx. The Bronx has a rougher reputation but you can still find good neighborhoods there. Brooklyn is expensive Staten Island is a bit out of the way.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:37 PM

4 posts, read 9,529 times
What are the safe areas to look at in queens?

Old 09-29-2008, 06:01 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,267,502 times
Queens has a good number of safe areas that you might like. Try Astoria, Forest Hills, Kew Gardens, and Bayside for starters. Some are very close to Manhattan like Astoria and then others are a little further out like Floral Park. Will you be keeping a car in the city? That can affect which neighborhood would be the better choice. Do you want a 1BR or a 2BR?

Also, not all of the Bronx is horrible, despite perceptions. Riverdale is a very wealthy community, not just of the Bronx, but in terms of the city. It's the northwest Bronx on the Hudson. And, you might find some apartments there in range, but it's a little further to the city on the subway. Via express bus and MetroNorth train, it's not bad. Woodlawn is another safe area of the Bronx, but it's also a little more remote.

Landlords usually want you to be employed with 40x income to be approved for the apartment. Without a position, look to a sublet or look to an individual owner who might be more willing to take a chance, and you might have to prepay in this situation as well. A sublet for 3-4 months would give you time to find a job and then decide where you'd like to live in the city, since it's easier to explore neighborhoods once you're here.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:31 PM

47 posts, read 162,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mieko361 View Post
What are the safe areas to look at in queens?
Jamaica and Far Rockaway are pretty nice.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:58 PM

283 posts, read 1,070,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iztel View Post
Also, the people are very welcoming of newcomers!

Old 09-29-2008, 09:06 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,028,154 times
Quote:
Hi Mieko, before you pay too much attention to this bit of "advice" above,
click on this person's posting history and you will see how he
feels about out-of-towners moving to his city and making areas that he deserves to live in unaffordable for him. His advice to you is insincere.

Jamaica and Far Rockaway are not considered to be places that most of the people on this forum would recommend to newcomers to the city.

Here are some past quotes about Far Rockaway:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Dude what are you thinking....why would you choose such a hellish commute? I dont' think there is a longer more miserable commute in the city. Your train ride ALONE will be 1 hour and 15 minutes on a good day...plus whatever time it takes to get to the train and to the office...you are lookin at an easy 1 hour and 30 minutes..knucklehead!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
^^^ Did I forgot to mention that the A passes through some rough area of Brooklyn and Queens? The Rockaway stations isn't a place I want to be late at night.

and parts of Jamaica are considered high-crime.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:12 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,545,270 times
Quote:
Hey iztel, boy are you willing to get these guys mugged just to keep your rents low? Come on now, I'd recommend Woodside where YOU live and I think they should bring a wagon load of friends and relatives to scout out your neighborhood as a place to live.

Now, won't it be awfully nice if you could show them around?

Old 09-29-2008, 10:51 PM

47 posts, read 162,825 times
I don't live in Woodside it's a bit shady at night for me.

Last edited by Viralmd; 09-30-2008 at 06:38 AM.. Reason: Personal attacks

Old 09-30-2008, 12:04 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,267,502 times
From an outsider's point of view, Jamaica and Far Rockaway are NOT neighborhoods with which many would be comfortable, not based on race, but based upon quality of life issues. You have diverse areas, some pockets of very high crime, many transitional aspects to these areas. And, in the particular case of Far Rockaway, a hellacious commute to Manhattan when the budget for an apartment could easily find something closer.

Now, for someone relocating to NYC, who is not familiar with our neighborhoods and who may not be as street-wise as a New Yorker, those recommendations do not fit the bill for the majority of people who come seeking advice. I mean let's just suggest they look in East New York or Bronwnsville while we're at it. (To the OP mieko361, DO NOT look in these areas, I am being sarcastic.)

Also, when one does not know the race or ethnicity of an OP or a person who responded, it's a little difficult to have any basis in fact as to an accusation of racism when one does not recommend a particular area...just a thought. Plus, when an OP states TWICE in their posts that safety is important, that needs to be taken into account when one responds, even though it is a relative concept, not solely based upon outward signs. However, it is very easy to tell, as a New Yorker, what many who are not from here would find comfortable, especially if one has traveled a bit. It's difficult to know one's individual concept of safety and comfortability, but an absence of neighborhood tension and higher than average crime would be a good assumption as to what they mean by safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City