Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the New York City Metropolitan Area secede from NYS?
Yes 17 36.96%
No 29 63.04%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 03:19 PM

718 posts, read 2,325,345 times

Advertisements

Yes. Sorry I did not clarify. The mallrats of Paramus, NJ who contribute to lovely Rt-17 traffic jams.

South of 46 is normal middle class NJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
You mean "annoying kids from the Northern half of Bergen County"

the southern part is quite like the outer boros

Of course NYC cannot succeed from upstate

It may be economically suppressed, but think out it

It is lots of labor, land, and resources NYC needs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 03:22 PM

629 posts, read 901,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Politicians like to talk about disadvantages for the city if it should secede from the state. In fact, it's just about the opposite. For one thing, we wouldn't be tied down to legislators from Albany who routinely vote down measures benefiting the city. All representation would be our own. And for another, since New York City has been driving the state's economy for at least a decade, we'd be in better shape economically.

I think there are a lot of politicians who have some legitimate worries about the spectre of a separate New York City. For this reason alone, we ought to consider it! They don't care about us; why should we care about them?

You said for "atleast a decade". And if things take a big downturn in the future? God forbid if there's EVER another terrorist attack on America. But if there ever is, and it happens in NYC, then what? What happens if it was ten fold the maginatude of 9/11. NYC would almost collaspe if it was on it's own. And then the 'desire' to live here would drop also. This arguement is borderline silly. Almost every major city in the country could make this arguement. Now there's people on here saying they should include NJ, CT, etc. I'm sure you want the Hamptons included too. Only the 'wealthy areas' I guess?

Old 09-28-2008, 03:57 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by welder View Post
You said for "atleast a decade". And if things take a big downturn in the future?
Well, that's nice, positive thinking, isn't it? I'd like you to name the part of this country that hasn't ever experienced an economic downturn. And as far as a potential terrorist attack goes, what if the next one should target Chicago? Does that mean nobody will ever want to live there again?

Your posts seem awfully critical of New York. Maybe those of us who live here know something you don't.

Old 09-28-2008, 03:58 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by welder View Post
Now there's people on here saying they should include NJ, CT, etc. I'm sure you want the Hamptons included too. Only the 'wealthy areas' I guess?
No, no, the Hamptons will only be part of the newly redistricted New York City-state, until such time as the new capital is ready at Middle Island. Then it will secede and take with it Queens and Brooklyn so as to restore the land mass of the island under one jurisdiction. LOL

Old 09-28-2008, 04:18 PM

629 posts, read 901,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Well, that's nice, positive thinking, isn't it? I'd like you to name the part of this country that hasn't ever experienced an economic downturn. And as far as a potential terrorist attack goes, what if the next one should target Chicago? Does that mean nobody will ever want to live there again?

Your posts seem awfully critical of New York. Maybe those of us who live here know something you don't.
What about a downturn? NYC is immune to them? When did I ever say that ANY city doesn't have "downturns"? Of course they ALL do. You are just proving my point. He said that NYC has been doing great for a decade. I simply aked what happens if NYC's economy takes a dive, then what? Being "positive" and being 'realistic', I guess is where me and you differ.

NYC has already been hit with an attack. If it (God forbid) would happen again, on a MUCH larger scale, you can bet your @ss people will leave here. And that goes for Chicago or any other city for that matter. If suicide bombers start blowing up in public places, people will leave in DROVES, ANYWHERE that starts happening.

My post "seems AWFULLY critical of NY"? I think you need to reread my post then. I stuck up for the WHOLE STATE of NY (not just NYC). I do live here by the way. So, I don't think that you something that I don't.

Old 09-29-2008, 04:04 PM

726 posts, read 2,269,281 times
I picked yes, cause theres no 'maybe'. I dont think NYC should secede form the state, but its somewhat on its own.
Most of the time, when I hear people talking about NY, they're talking about the city and not the state itself.

I always hear people refer to all non-NYC cities, as 'upstate'. Regardless of what the city is.
That would be interesting. But I wouldn't be surprised if a secession did occur.

It would greatly affect the state if that were to happen.

Old 09-29-2008, 05:37 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
I look at it this way: if politicians are opposed to something like New York City seceding from New York State, then we should consider it. At some point, we really ought to stop letting them guide us around like sheep.

Incidentally, a couple of years ago, there was some legislator from upstate who actually stood up and proposed that the southern boundary of New York State be redrawn. Yes, indeed--he wanted to exclude the city! (It's too bad he wasn't able to slide that through, because I would have loved to see the look on the faces of his constituents when he would've had to announce a huge tax increase...to make up for the money Albany wouldn't have been able to rake off from NYC any more).

Old 09-29-2008, 09:31 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,335,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post
Yes. Sorry I did not clarify. The mallrats of Paramus, NJ who contribute to lovely Rt-17 traffic jams.

South of 46 is normal middle class NJ.
Well actually you draw a line from Fairlawn east to Dumont

You take Tenafly, and Englewood Cliffs and put them north

Old 09-30-2008, 10:02 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,358,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
don't want to accuse you of plagiarism or of being a copycat revolutionary, but didn't Staten Island make the same argument a while back when it wanted out of NYC?
Well LI wants to do this now as well...its was in the papers a few months back

Not only does LI not want their money to go to Albany but they dont want its money to go to NYC either.

Last edited by YBF; 09-30-2008 at 10:13 PM..

Old 09-30-2008, 10:12 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,358,477 times
Here's the article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/13/ny...2/13colli.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City