Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 06:43 PM

47 posts, read 163,251 times

Advertisements

If the soup is hot you wait for it to cool down. Yes slurping your soup or drink is considered rude here but it's not your fault for not knowing it. Being NYC though there are plenty of people who have lived here for years and still continue doing things that are considered rude in American culture but don't have the desire to assimilate. The people at the restaurant probably thought your family lived here and had no regard for American dinner table manners.

The same thing happens to us when we go to other countries. It's impossible to know every detail of a country's culture as a foreigner.

Don't think too much of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 07:24 PM

107 posts, read 429,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
slurping is not considered rude unless you do it obnoxiously

in certain situations it is understood, like if the soup is very hot

Only the most stuck-up individuals would consider it rude in that situation
I concur. There is no reason why they had to comment on the fact that your father slurped his soup. Even if they had thought it was "rude", a look would have been more appropriate.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:17 PM

537 posts, read 456,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girls1 View Post
I concur. There is no reason why they had to comment on the fact that your father slurped his soup. Even if they had thought it was "rude", a look would have been more appropriate.

I completely agree. I feel the most that person should have done was to perhaps give a quick (and somewhat inconspicuous) look, and be finished.

I can't help but think that a comment like the one made by that particular patron seems to reflect on what class, or lack thereof, such a person must actually have to feel "entitled" to make such a comment...and out loud, to boot.

I'm not judging the patron. I just feel he/she could have exercised a bit more finesse. After all...we're all human

Old 09-29-2008, 08:27 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,572,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saobi View Post
Ok, I will respect yoru country and not slurp soup, But will americans respect our culture?

You call me a Chinese pig in your own country because I slurped soup, Ok I accept.

But what if you go to China as a visitor, and then tell the locals "Chinese pig", now is that acceptable?
No one on this forum called you a Chinese pig. Do not compound the error of a fellow patron at a restaurant with another error - slander on your part.

True, the patron should have been more discreet and not verbalize his/her sentiments loudly for your table to hear.

And, yes, slurping soup or any beverage - hot, lukewarm, or cold - is considered lacking in class in the USA and in many parts of the civilized world. However it is also lacking in class to let a fellow patron hear how you feel. And it also leaves a lot to be desired to accuse fellow posters of things they didn't say.

So we've got a whole bunch of errors here. Let's all live and learn.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:00 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,117,555 times
No. Speaking to or about people that way is not the norm. Neither is slurping your soup or ANYTHING else. Expect dirty looks at least.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:14 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
I think it may be pretty normal, though, to talk about people in a language that you think others won't understand. Of course most of the time you won't know if people are talking about you because you actually don't understand, but I can think of a few occasions when I've been with people who are fluent in an unexpected language and they have overheard people talking about them (though not in such a derogatory way as this).

When I was in Japan with another American who speaks Japanese, she overheard some ladies talking about the red pants she was wearing and how they wouldn't have the nerve to wear pants of such a color.

Then when I was recently in a Russian-owned liquor store nearby my place in NYC, I was with an American who speaks Russian (but he never lets on). He told me the guy behind the counter said about him "what's that guy doing with this young lady?" Actually, I think he used another term besides "young lady" but you get my drift.

It's obviously not polite to gossip about people, certainly not to call them pigs, but I think talking about people in other languages that they think won't be understood goes on all the time.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:44 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,572,167 times
Default Another not so normal situation in New York......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I think it may be pretty normal, though, to talk about people in a language that you think others won't understand. Of course most of the time you won't know if people are talking about you because you actually don't understand, but I can think of a few occasions when I've been with people who are fluent in an unexpected language and they have overheard people talking about them (though not in such a derogatory way as this).

When I was in Japan with another American who speaks Japanese, she overheard some ladies talking about the red pants she was wearing and how they wouldn't have the nerve to wear pants of such a color.

Then when I was recently in a Russian-owned liquor store nearby my place in NYC, I was with an American who speaks Russian (but he never lets on). He told me the guy behind the counter said about him "what's that guy doing with this young lady?" Actually, I think he used another term besides "young lady" but you get my drift.

It's obviously not polite to gossip about people, certainly not to call them pigs, but I think talking about people in other languages that they think won't be understood goes on all the time.
Yeah Henna, I know what you mean. I once was with a very attractive young woman myself, tightly holding hands as we caressed in Central Park one beautiful autumn evening a few years back. Then a pair of Polish women walking by muttered in their language, unaware that I was familiar with their dialect, "He ought to be ashamed, potbellied, goatee, toupee; Wonder where he got those red overalls and green shirt. And look at his yellow shoes. That cute chick must be loco to hang with that old geezer!"

As if that wasn't bad enough, I later discovered that my lady friend also understood the dialect and I never heard from her again.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:51 PM

877 posts, read 2,768,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
Yeah Henna, I know what you mean. I once was with a very attractive young woman myself, tightly holding hands as we caressed in Central Park one beautiful autumn evening a few years back. Then a pair of Polish women walking by muttered in their language, unaware that I was familiar with their dialect, "He ought to be ashamed, potbellied, goatee, toupee; Wonder where he got those red overalls and green shirt. And look at his yellow shoes. That cute chick must be loco to hang with that old geezer!"

As if that wasn't bad enough, I later discovered that my lady friend also understood the dialect and I never heard from her again.
You are too funny LOL

Old 10-03-2008, 05:34 PM

101 posts, read 300,742 times
I traveled to your wonderful country a few years back (1999) with local (to each province) guide and driver. My favorite guide while in Xian, Huxian, etc. was an elegant, educated wonderful man.

We ate breakfast in the countryside together and WOW did he SLURP!! Not just an oops - little slurp but the entire meal which consisted of soupy rice with condiments.

All throughout China I heard this slurping. At first I was a little shocked but soon got over that. Even found myself slurping soupy stuff (while there),

Its considered rude (to the cook) to NOT slurp.

so we're probably talking about some really loud (sloppy-seeming) eating.

Not that it wasn't rude for other diners to call names. I would've said something. Like "excuse me?" No call for that at all.

However, I next time I would instruct parents to eat quietly (if they can_
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City